U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 07:21 AM

8,304 posts, read 18,272,054 times

Advertisements

There has to be a way the Turnpike can be dissolved, and become part of I-95, thus, an interstate highway. The signage currently indicates the road to be under the auspices of the Interstate Highway system from the George Washington Bridge, until Exit 6, which is the PA Turnpike extension. Then, I-95 goes up the PA side, past the PA Turnpike extension, into NJ, to the Rt 1 exit in Lawrenceville. No ever questions this, instead, people continue to mindlessly put up with being charged double on a road where the federal portion of their gasoline tax should be maintaining. The Turnpike Authority really needs to be dissolved. Either extend I-95 through Somerset County and up to I-287, and make the Turnpike a separate entity, or eliminate the tolls.

Interesting article about the discrepancy: Somerset Freeway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 07:27 AM

12,284 posts, read 33,123,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Sure there is...Rte 46 and Rte 10..all though both roads would then be clogged with endless cars with PENNSY plates on them
right..i was even going to say you could also take 206S down to 78 to go east. i was spending $80/mo in *1991* just in tolls, it went down to $0 moving out to God's country, lol.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:28 AM

12,284 posts, read 33,123,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
There has to be a way the Turnpike can be dissolved, and become part of I-95, thus, an interstate highway. The signage currently indicates the road to be under the auspices of the Interstate Highway system from the George Washington Bridge, until Exit 6, which is the PA Turnpike extension. Then, I-95 goes up the PA side, past the PA Turnpike extension, into NJ, to the Rt 1 exit in Lawrenceville. No ever questions this, instead, people continue to mindlessly put up with being charged double on a road where the federal portion of their gasoline tax should be maintaining. The Turnpike Authority really needs to be dissolved. Either extend I-95 through Somerset County and up to I-287, and make the Turnpike a separate entity, or eliminate the tolls.

Interesting article about the discrepancy: Somerset Freeway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
along these same lines - i always tell people coming north to take 295 as far as you can instead of the turnpike.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:53 AM

828 posts, read 2,966,729 times
Bottom line is this...
Whitman rushed to put EZ-Pass on the TP. The plan was a sloppy one, and one that will be paid for forever. Everyone that Whitman placed in a high ranking capacity on the Turnpike turned the roadway into a larger mess. The last straw, but the one that will have the everlasting puncture mark, was when she appointed Edward Gross. Gross and Whitman told everyone that the EZ-Pass system would cost about $65 million to operate. They also, and this is the most unbelievable of all of their dropped balls, told the public that EZ-Pass would pay for itself by toll violators. At $30 or so a pop they told everyone that each $30 fine (which in their minds would all be non-contested) would pay off the debt. Surprisingly to none, the fines have paid off nothing and when Gross was forced to resign by McGreevey the cost for EZ-Pass was thought to be closer $300 million. It is actually costing the TP more money to operate an EZ-Pass lane than is it a manned lane. The salaries of its workers have nothing to do with it. Salaries were lowered when part-timer collectors were brought in about 15 years ago to work at about 40% of what a full-time collector was making and with absolutely no benefits. Lower management jobs were also lowered to an amount below where they were in the 80's and 90's. Middle management and upper management jobs were actually increased...duh, it is a political job afterall.
I am neither surprised nor upset about the toll increase. Corzine is doing what he has to do. Taking out the entire EZ-Pass system is not even a thought. Leasing out the roadway to a private company would be suicide. Raising the sales tax from 6% to 7% should have been done by Florio, and kept that way. Florio put his tail between his legs and lowered it back to 6%. I am not a Corzine fan. I will, however, give him the benefit of the doubt that no matter how bad his proposals are liked or disliked by those of us in this State, he is trying to place a bandage on a wound that was never properly opened, nor cleaned out. If you are thinking about making this a subject about Dems and Republicans then you are far off base. This subject is about someone trying to fix something that many idiots are to blame for.

Last edited by fischfan13; 01-09-2008 at 08:14 AM..

Old 01-09-2008, 07:54 AM

828 posts, read 2,966,729 times
Quote:
and make the Turnpike a separate entity
It already is.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:09 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,325,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
right..i was even going to say you could also take 206S down to 78 to go east. i was spending $80/mo in *1991* just in tolls, it went down to $0 moving out to God's country, lol.
any savings would be eaten up by increased fuel usage, cars are more efficient at highway speed versus the stop and go on those state roads

Old 01-09-2008, 08:32 AM

1,723 posts, read 2,930,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_G View Post
ahh yes, trickle-down economics...

...which resulted in record deficits (at the time, until Dubya blew past those numbers)

in the U.S. 5% of the population controls 95% of the wealth.

if you're on the short end of the stick, you vote for who will offer you any hope.

try offering solutions, instead of just complaining.
If you read the Reagan Diaries you would realize that he repeatedly asked Congress to stop spending. In 1982 he gave them the goal of cutting the deficit to under $10 billion...the Democrat controlled Congress responded with a budget containing a $120 billion deficit.

The top 5% of income earners shoulder 56% of the nation's tax burden...the top 10% ($92,000 or more) shoulder 67%...the top 25% (earning $55,000 or more) of earners pay 84% of the income taxes in this nation. And what do you mean by "control"? You mean, they have more money so they buy more things...make more home improvements...?

So basically, your feeling is that if one has less than someone else you advocate them using the government to take it from someone else rather than that person work hard to have money of their own...

Complaining...I heard lots of solutions...like cut spending on needless programs that benefit government cronies more than anyone else.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
If you read the Reagan Diaries you would realize that he repeatedly asked Congress to stop spending. In 1982 he gave them the goal of cutting the deficit to under $10 billion...the Democrat controlled Congress responded with a budget containing a $120 billion deficit.

The top 5% of income earners shoulder 56% of the nation's tax burden...the top 10% ($92,000 or more) shoulder 67%...the top 25% (earning $55,000 or more) of earners pay 84% of the income taxes in this nation. And what do you mean by "control"? You mean, they have more money so they buy more things...make more home improvements...?

So basically, your feeling is that if one has less than someone else you advocate them using the government to take it from someone else rather than that person work hard to have money of their own...

Complaining...I heard lots of solutions...like cut spending on needless programs that benefit government cronies more than anyone else.
+1 For you. For a post like this, there should be a +10 option.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:47 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,009,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
any savings would be eaten up by increased fuel usage, cars are more efficient at highway speed versus the stop and go on those state roads
Who says you have to go further or are hitting lights?

I'm pretty far out there now myself, and although I don't drive much (I mostly take the train) I rarely see a traffic light. My town doesn't even *own* a traffic light. Thats right, not a one. Signs, some paint on the paved roads, and I have to say (knock on wood) I haven't seen an accident by me yet. When I hit the highway, sure, but not locally.

Just because you're not on a toll road doesn't mean you aren't on a highway.

Personally I'm ok with an increase in tolls (not this drastic, but an increase nonetheless) but the NJ government needs to stop thinking about how to squeeze more money out of citizens, and more about how to stop lining there pockets and cutting the rampant spending.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischfan13 View Post
It already is.
I am pleading ignorance then, I suppose. How can the Turnpike Authority lay claim to infrastructure that is currently in the jurisdiction of the 1956 Federal Aid Highway Act. Next time you pump your gas, look at what is charged per gallon on the federal side. That money SHOULD pay for the maintenance and upkeep in part of the NJ Turnpike, a road that is I-95 in name, until Exit 6.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey