Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 07:31 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,937,206 times

Advertisements

Some really nice photos here. Quite of few from the northwest corner of the state.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/sheridanwats...res#.inJZe9WD2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 08:28 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Thank you for that link, Calico!

Before I opened your thread, I thought that a certain...flakey...individual had returned in order to spew some more venom about the state that allegedly caused all of his self-imposed problems, but I was relieved to see what you posted.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:18 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Lucky for me I have visited a lot of those places many times.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:12 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,773 times
Isn't most of this NJ in the beautiful pictures located way on the West, bordering PA? The NJ next to Hudson river is not that picturesque at all.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:20 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Isn't most of this NJ in the beautiful pictures located way on the West, bordering PA? The NJ next to Hudson river is not that picturesque at all.
No, it isn't all "way in the west".
If you come to the Delaware & Raritan Canal State Park or Six Mile Run State Park in Franklin Township--both of which are only minutes from New Brunswick--you will see scenery very similar to many of those photos. So, Central NJ also has an incredible amount of natural beauty--if you know where to go.

As to the part of NJ adjacent to the Hudson River, while it doesn't abound in natural beauty, many people like viewing NY's skyscrapers from across the river, and those folks may actually like the scenery along the Hudson more than the wilderness areas in the central and western parts of NJ.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:53 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,090,152 times
Quote:
You must have not heard of the Palisades cliffs overlooking the Hudson. It looks much the way it did several hundred years ago because of restriction in zoning/development. There's a huge debate going on about whether LG should be allowed to build their new HQ there; apparently the new building will poke a little above the treetops. The debate includes NY'ers on the other side since they're worried the new HQ will ruin their views and reduce property values.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
No, it isn't all "way in the west".
If you come to the Delaware & Raritan Canal State Park or Six Mile Run State Park in Franklin Township--both of which are only minutes from New Brunswick--you will see scenery very similar to many of those photos. So, Central NJ also has an incredible amount of natural beauty--if you know where to go.

As to the part of NJ adjacent to the Hudson River, while it doesn't abound in natural beauty, many people like viewing NY's skyscrapers from across the river, and those folks may actually like the scenery along the Hudson more than the wilderness areas in the central and western parts of NJ.

This is key. A lot of folks traverse I-95 and have that end up being their impression, but they don't realize how much more of the state maintains its natural beauty.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:18 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,376,630 times
I lived in the Garden State for 3 years in the early 1990s on a temp job assignment. When I tell that to the locals here in California, and tell them that I really liked living there, they think I am joking or being sarcastic. I have to explain to them that all of NJ doesn't look like the Turnpike heading south of Newark airport.

When I lived in NJ, I took trips along backroads all over North and Central Jersey with a few bicycle clubs. Being from dry, brown California, I always enjoyed all of the green vegetation, lakes, rivers and small towns scattered around NJ. In NJ, there is a lot of history, and the houses are not all alike, like in my area (mostly identical looking stucco boxes).

You can even find nice natural spaces right next to the urbanized burbs. The Wachtung Reservation hills are less than 10 miles from Newark Airport, but you would never guess. The hills above Boonton and Rockaway townships in Morris County are within eyesight of the top of the new WTC tower, but seem like you are in upstate NY or New England.

Heck, I even like Jersey City. I still have a T shirt that says Jersey City, Greatest Country in the World.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:08 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,151,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Thank you for that link, Calico!

Before I opened your thread, I thought that a certain...flakey...individual had returned in order to spew some more venom about the state that allegedly caused all of his self-imposed problems, but I was relieved to see what you posted.

Are you sure you don't miss The Flakey One? You keep mentioning him

Old 02-03-2015, 08:15 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
No, it's way all over the state.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:15 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,151,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Some really nice photos here. Quite of few from the northwest corner of the state.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/sheridanwats...res#.inJZe9WD2

Wonderful link, Calico!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey