U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2015, 07:17 PM

13 posts, read 21,728 times

Advertisements

Any family moved from Charlotte, NC to New Jersey area with kids... how has been your experience. We are planning to go though similar transition... need to know things that helped.

In our case moving with 5 year old. Would be working in Manhattan & stay in good elementary school district in NJ
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 10:15 AM

180 posts, read 288,930 times
Hi! I have lived in NJ my whole life and visited Charlotte in August b/c my husband's company wanted to move us there.

We ended up turning down the move; not so much because we didn't like Charlotte - but just because it is so different from NJ. So if you are an NC native just be prepared for a little bit of a different "culture" here and a different look.

I love NJ b/c of our access to great health care, two great cities, beaches, skiing, universities, endless things to do that can't compare to anywhere in NC. And when I say "access" I mean within an hour to all of these things if you are in/near Central NJ. It was funny when people said Charlotte is near the beach and in reality its 3 hours away!! In NJ, the beach is an hour or less away for most of us.

The other thing is the culture. We went to a minor league baseball game in Charlotte and were devastated to hear a group of young men heckling a player with a Hispanic name on his shirt. It was all racial slurs and insults that I'd never experienced in my life!!! AND it recurred the last few innings with no intervention by Security. If my husband's boss was not sitting next to me I would have grabbed my shocked kids and walked out!!!! You will not see that here in NJ. We are a VERY diverse state.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:31 PM

6 posts, read 4,917 times
That is great insight. Recently a friend of mine planned a trip to NJ planning to relocate from Charlotte. He is native of NC. He has received a job offer with a choice to either work in Manhattan, NY (probably will end up staying in NJ & travel to NY) OR Buffalo, NY. Moving with wife, 5 year old daughter & another expected.

Still deciding between the 2 places ?

Old 06-01-2015, 01:12 PM

248 posts, read 467,932 times
Check out Manalapan. Lots of people that live here commute to NYC for work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey