Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 08:55 AM

13,384 posts, read 28,660,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Hey Kate,

Where in West Caldwell do you work? I lived 12 years in West Caldwell, from age 7 to 19, my 'formidable years'. I still have many friends there.
Henderson Drive..the only plus being there is a Kings within 2 minutes
West Caldwell is not a bad town..just hate the commute, especially that stretch on 46 through Parsippany
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 08:59 AM

222 posts, read 1,024,522 times
1 hour, 10 minutes each way from gloucester county to princeton. Got a cheaper house in a nice neighborhood for the rugrat, but I'm still making good central/north jersey wages. But I've only been doing this commute for a few months. Ask me again in a year if I still don't mind it. ;-)

Old 01-10-2008, 09:00 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,657,054 times
2hrs door to door to nyc for me - most people its probably 45min - 1hr.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:15 AM

9,359 posts, read 20,732,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Henderson Drive..the only plus being there is a Kings within 2 minutes
West Caldwell is not a bad town..just hate the commute, especially that stretch on 46 through Parsippany
Well, then you probably pass by the house I lived at on a daily basis. I used to live on Clinton Road, across the street from where Henderson Road ends, at the traffic light. Back in the 70s, I used to play baseball and football across the street on the property of the building there. (It used to be a Jewish school) My friends and I would count how many cars trying to make a left would stack up on Henderson Drive, as there was not a traffic signal back then. I'm wondering if there is now a traffic light on DeBaun Ave, which is one block down from the end of Henderson Drive. As for the other side of Henderson Drive, there is a pharmacy there now on the corner of Passaic, Clinton and Henderson. That used to be a bowling alley. I was in a bowling league there when I was a teenager.

You work on what was my former playground.

P.S. Sorry I've partially hi-jacked the thread. I will not post any more blather on here about my childhood!

Old 01-10-2008, 09:22 AM

13,384 posts, read 28,660,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Well, then you probably pass by the house I lived at on a daily basis. I used to live on Clinton Road, across the street from where Henderson Road ends, at the traffic light. Back in the 70s, I used to play baseball and football across the street on the property of the building there. (It used to be a Jewish school) My friends and I would count how many cars trying to make a left would stack up on Henderson Drive, as there was not a traffic signal back then. I'm wondering if there is now a traffic light on DeBaun Ave, which is one block down from the end of Henderson Drive. As for the other side of Henderson Drive, there is a pharmacy there now on the corner of Passaic, Clinton and Henderson. That used to be a bowling alley. I was in a bowling league there when I was a teenager.

You work on what was my former playground.
debaun..is that the street where the Post office is? Then yes there is a light!
And yes twice a day i pass your house as i cut across Brooks Ave to Clinton.....boy does that street flood in heavy rains

the school is Now Essex County School for "troubled kids"

Old 01-10-2008, 09:50 AM

9,359 posts, read 20,732,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
debaun..is that the street where the Post office is? Then yes there is a light!
And yes twice a day i pass your house as i cut across Brooks Ave to Clinton.....boy does that street flood in heavy rains

the school is Now Essex County School for "troubled kids"
Actually, Brooks is the residential street that parallels a brook (!) which forks right off Fairfield Ave. That street is in Fairfield, not West Caldwell. About a 1/4 mile east of Brooks, on Clinton Road is where you cross into West Caldwell.

DeBaun is a residential street as well, past Henderson, you can only make a right. That little strip of Clinton Rd is where I lived, between Henderson and DeBaun.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:03 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,741,665 times
Edison to Dover.

AM - 1.5hrs on a good day. 3hrs on a bad day
PM - about 45 min unless there is something MAJOR (huge pileup - THICK ice on roads)

If things go right for me, my commute will be reduced to about 15-20min in about a month or so. Edison to Piscataway. WOOHOOO. Will be the first time in my life (32yrs) I am not dirving or on the train for an hour in the morning. Im sooo excited!!!

Old 01-11-2008, 01:43 PM

7,054 posts, read 19,257,267 times
Journal Square to East 33rd Street, NYC: 45 minutes, includes PATH ride, walking and waiting for the train.
I used to live in Montclair, where my door-to-door commute via bus was 90 minutes on a good day. Some days were 2 hours or more. I couldn't tolerate it for very long. I don't have children, but if I did I'd do the best I could on my salary and my sanity. The options within 1 hour of Manhattan are limited, but I feel I'd have to keep the commute at or below that.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:07 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,120,560 times
The average commute for New Jerseyans is about 30 mins. The average for New York metro area is 38 mins (worse in the nation).

My commute is only 30 minutes door to door, Hoboken to Jersey City. I know of plenty of coworkers who commute 1-1.5 hours to work and a handful who stroll to work.

I wonder when they say commute time, does that mean door to door commute time?

Old 01-11-2008, 04:48 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,741,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
The average commute for New Jerseyans is about 30 mins. The average for New York metro area is 38 mins (worse in the nation).

My commute is only 30 minutes door to door, Hoboken to Jersey City. I know of plenty of coworkers who commute 1-1.5 hours to work and a handful who stroll to work.

I wonder when they say commute time, does that mean door to door commute time?
Well I know thats what "I" mean when I say mine is 1.5 hrs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey