Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2015, 01:35 PM

11 posts, read 19,285 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I searched for a while. I need to commute to downtown Manhattan (14th path precisely), and would like to avoid transfer at port authority at my best. My budget is 1500, and it's about my maximum plus all the utilities/ internet etc. I have a car, and I enjoy that, no chance getting rid of it. No roommates.
Currently I am renting in Rutherford, but want to move to somewhere with better access to the city.

I have searched around downtown JC/hoboken/weehawken/along blvd east, not seeing desirable 1BR at that rate, plus only 48th~52th on blvd east get to use that stairway to light rail.

Most of time I drive to mitsuwa/ hmart for shopping, that's why I originally thought maybe guttenberg/fort lee would also work - however the commute is not that great.

I am looking at the foundry at liberty state park light rail station, which seems like a great deal to me - and I know it comes with a price, I have been driving around that area, completely different from blvd east or anywhere in hoboken/ downtown JC. I know it's just 3 minute walk; can any one who currently live there/ around that area/ familiar with that area give me some idea how "SAFE" would I feel walking on the street?

Any other suggestions welcome. I am considering buying, but would like to rent for another while just to understand the area a bit more. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 03:01 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
If you live at the Foundry and only step outside to walk across the barren parking lot to the light rail, then it may not be so bad. Not sure if the Foundry has secured parking, but if so, pay for it. Drive to HMart and Mitsuwa (about 45 min drive) for your groceries and eat out in Fort Lee or downtown JC, or order delivery from restaurants downtown.

Also, the light rail runs frequently at rush hour. But after 7pm, the train frequency is once/blue moon.

Have you considered Journal Square?

Old 02-15-2015, 04:07 PM

11 posts, read 19,285 times
JSQ vs Liberty State Park, which one is better? I have friends live close to JSQ path station, which I feel ok walking around, but not 'comfortable'. If safety is my top priority, is the only solution to compromise my commute? Thanks.

Old 02-15-2015, 04:23 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
For safety and commute, JSQ is much better than Lafayette/LSP LR Station.

Compromising the commute is one solution, but not the only solution. You could compromise the budget to around $1700 (or more if you can) and you'll probably find a couple of places in Downtown Jersey City, which is a better neighborhood and you can get on PATH without dealing with the ratchet rail. Or you could compromise safety, in which case Lafayette or JSQ may not be so bad (really JSQ isn't very unsafe by JC standards).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey