Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 05:22 PM

41 posts, read 58,663 times

Advertisements

Hello There, I would like to get out of NJ mainly because of everything getting expensive without any justification, so I have decided to move out of NJ. I have 3 small kids oldest being 5 yrs old. I would like to move somewhere with great schools (must) / less racist (must) / quality of life / better weather place. I prefer houses with a budget of ~500k but this this is not a constraint though. I am looking for a place that has a bright future, with good / decent jobs in case I decide to change my current travelling job. Currently I travel (with 50/50 work from home option) so having a good airport is also very important. I work in the IT/Tech related area specifically in the pharma/biotech industry but I am willing to change my career into some other IT jobs for a better future. Can anyone with real life experience who traveled extensively to different cities in the country give some suggestion/feedback ? I really appreciate that.

Thanks & Regards
Nick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 05:45 PM

696 posts, read 906,855 times
It would help if you could list the cities to which you travel. Dallas and Atlanta would have good flight connections and weather but the schools and racism could be an issue. I have IT colleagues who relocated to Charlotte, NC, Jacksonville, FL and Tampa, FL but their focus was finance rather than pharma. Again, the schools would be a concern. The Pacific Northwest (Portland, OR and Seattle, WA) would work but the weather can be rainy and dreary. Are your skills of more value in the pharma industry or are they readily transferable? I work in IT and live in NJ as well and passed on several opportunities to relocate to the Sun Belt over the years. PM me with some more information about your background and I can provide more guidance.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:10 AM

565 posts, read 722,634 times
I would suggest Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex. You will not experience any overt racism there, at all. My husband and I lived in Dallas before moving to Northern NJ and my husband is South Asian.

The Dallas metroplex has the 6th highest percentage of indians in the US epr capita, and some suburbs with very good schools have percentages of more like 60-70% (I can point you to Plano or the Valley Ranch area of Coppell schools in the Dallas suburbs). A budget of 500,000 in the suburbs of Dallas will afford you a gigantic 3,000 sq ft or more house, with a pool if you want it.

Tech industry there is booming. Good luck!

Old 02-19-2015, 07:22 PM

Thanks sonetlumiere & Annikan. yes I would like to stick to east of TX. My skills are not readily transferable but I am a techie guy and can manage other types of IT jobs; but i might not be able to negotiate much when I do that which is fine. I traveled mostly in NJ/CT/PA/MA so do not have much experience of other states. I see here in the forum people are talking about NOVA, NC, GA and TX a lot. I think these are the states I would like to consider. I know Charlotte has good airport, NOVA has good schools but low paying govt jobs and high priced housing, Atltanta has good schools, airport and housing but sucks in traffic. Dallas has good jobs and airport but travel to east coast could be a drag. Apart from that all other factors are unknown to me. So can any one please tell me which one will strike a good balance of good schools, airport, good colleges for later, jobs and future growth. I know move is a big decision so I would like to see whether its really worth it or stay back and pay absurd property taxes and mortgage.

Thanks & Regards

Old 02-20-2015, 07:30 AM

380 posts, read 607,830 times
Not sure if anywhere in TX or GA will be "less racist" than NJ. NJ is very progressive compared to any state south of the mason dixon.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:21 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,928 times
San Diego is the only place I can think of that meet most of your criteria but then it will probably be just as expensive.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:38 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,175,096 times
Racist and discrimination are two different thing, but a lot of people think they are the same. I do not see racist but I do know there are discrimination. But Discrimination is something you cannot control of. Some people just don't like anyone. Some of them are jerk. You simply don't deal with them. I talk to everyone in my block, beside 2 family. They simply don't talk to others. After few attempts, I gave up. One of the family is White (German) and the other family is Black. I'm Asian. Do I think they are racist? No. They maybe, but I could careless.

I want to move out of NJ too, my reason is that I can move my job and prefer to live in another place that has better weather and as well as lower living expensive. I have kids too. School is important to me too. But If I have to move because I feel other is racist against me, I bet I would feel the same in the new area and want to move again.

The best weather in the US is in San Diego and San Francisco. Of course, they are more expensive than NJ.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:59 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies.

cw30000 - if you had to move which place would you prefer to move to?

Old 02-20-2015, 04:18 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,175,096 times
Originally I think of FL, but the property tax is as high and the insurance is crazy high. Too humid. What change my mind is their water, it is very hard (nasty). I lived in NYC is spoil by their great water. NJ water is good too, but cannot compare to NYC water. Then heading down to FL (I go down there every year with the kids), the water is simply awful. It taste like chemical.

Now, my choice is Las Vegas. Here are my reason:
No income state tax
Low living expensive
Low property tax
Lots Hiking/Biking/Backpacking trails
Lots of entertainment. If you like gambling (I don't), the strip has it.
Good school (Henderson is #2 of Forbes safest city). I value education so I spend a lot of time with kids on homework.
Mild weather (about 6 month out of the year)
No winter. But if you like the cold, you can go up to the mountain.

Of course, LV is very hot during the summer. Car registration is crazy hot, but it offset that by lower car insurance rate. There are other surprise. But overall, your money will buy you more there.

I am planning to move in a few years. One the big boss (wife) give a go ahead, I will pack up and go

I spoke to a buddy of mine saying the same thing, it is too expensive to live here. He live in Brooklyn. He is interesting to move too. So maybe when I move, he will moves too. He just need to requests a job transfer and he can pack and go as well.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:47 PM

Yeah that is a nice place, I don't mind the heat at all but not much opportunity in my line of work. Best of luck man. I would like to stick to the east coast. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: