Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2008, 09:28 AM

197 posts, read 776,808 times

Advertisements

What do you guys see as the plus/minus on living in Chatham vs. Basking Ridge. We want to spend over $1M so we know we can afford but am wondering about quality of life, schools, sports, things to do, restaurants, sense of community. I definitely would like my kids to have a nice healthy upbringing--not too snobby but filled with variety, things to do to keep them busy and out of trouble and most of all, opportunity.

Thoughts?

Lola
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 02:13 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,096,057 times
Although both of the towns are relatively close to eachother, they vary a lot. Here is the breakdown:

Chatham Boro/Township:
-Town like setting
-Amazing Schools
-More Shopping Than Basking Ridge
-More Restaurants Than Basking Ridge
-Excellent Quality of Life
-Wealthy Feeling

Basking Ridge:
-Quiet Lifestyle (Park Like Setting)
-Amazing Schools
-A Few Restaurants Nearby
-Not That Much Shopping
-Excellent Quality of Life
-Wealthy Feeling

Both are great towns and you will be happy in either one but the real difference between the two towns is that Chatham is more town like (at least in the Boro) and Basking Ridge is more of an open space feel where everyone gets lots of land. Personally after years of doing work up there, between the two, I love Basking Ridge/Far Hills. I actually will be moving in the next few years so I might be a little biased.

Good luck with your search!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey