U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2015, 10:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,010 times

Advertisements

I'm a 22 year old female and am going to be working in New Brunswick soon. After staying at home for a little while saving up some money, I plan on moving out but am unsure where.

I have heard that New Brunswick is fun, but I do not like the idea of living in an area full of loud college students. From where I live now I have about a 40 minute commute to New Brunswick so I don't mind commuting to work.

I may have a roommate come with me, if not I would be looking for a studio/1 bedroom and would be willing to pay $1k to about $1,300 monthly on rent. I mainly want to be someplace that's fun and has a nice nightlife scene and is also safe.

My friend lives in Hoboken now and I like the scene there, I just don't know if the commute would be killer in the morning due to NYC traffic, even though it would mostly be going towards the city. Just looking for any tips and advice you guys have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 02:01 AM

2,063 posts, read 4,398,197 times
Driving from Hoboken to NB is a good 45-60 min drive. Not recommended. Try Somerville. It has a nice little downtown and under 30 mins to NB. Also, it has a train station so if you wanted to go to Hoboken or NYC, it is an easy hour long ride.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:21 AM

472 posts, read 640,198 times
I agree with Somerville.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:08 AM

3,295 posts, read 2,664,836 times
The best place near Middlesex County for 20-somethings to live is about 45-1 hour away and called Manhattan.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:44 AM

217 posts, read 202,111 times
Learn from us "elders"... you don't want to live in Hoboken and pay those high rents, unless you work in NYC, or in Hoboken/Jersey city area. Hoboken is def. the "scene" for people in their 20s and early 30s... but It's too time consuming to drive back and forth from Hoboken to NBR, and when gas goes back to $3-4 a gallon, you will regret being that far away from your job.

A few people said Somerville- that's a possibility, but the commute is on 287, which has pretty bad traffic.

Have you thought about Princeton? Fun town, with plenty of eateries, not that far from NBR and Princeton has rail service as well. Yes there are students, but Princeton students are not partiers like they are at Rutgers. Remember too that there are graduate students as well, they are in your age bracket but a bit more mature than the undergrads.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:01 AM

16,489 posts, read 10,640,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkg062 View Post
I'm a 22 year old female and am going to be working in New Brunswick soon. After staying at home for a little while saving up some money, I plan on moving out but am unsure where.

I have heard that New Brunswick is fun, but I do not like the idea of living in an area full of loud college students. From where I live now I have about a 40 minute commute to New Brunswick so I don't mind commuting to work.

I may have a roommate come with me, if not I would be looking for a studio/1 bedroom and would be willing to pay $1k to about $1,300 monthly on rent. I mainly want to be someplace that's fun and has a nice nightlife scene and is also safe.

My friend lives in Hoboken now and I like the scene there, I just don't know if the commute would be killer in the morning due to NYC traffic, even though it would mostly be going towards the city. Just looking for any tips and advice you guys have!
Moving out at early 20s is one of the worst choices one can make with today's economy. They say that you should never pay more than 20% of your income towards your home and most folks like you are paying above 50%.

This is a sure way that you will never become financially independent or be able to purpose of home on your own unless somehow your salary skyrockets.

I moved out when I was 24 and I moved back because I realized what a financial burden it has become.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:17 AM

4,839 posts, read 10,076,516 times
Try Highland Park. It's a 5-minute drive into New Brunswick when you go to work or hang out, but will generally be quieter to live in. I don't know why people in NJ are willing to take on such long commutes. Anything more than 20 minutes and you add plenty of unnecessary stress to your life.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:17 AM

2,063 posts, read 4,398,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Moving out at early 20s is one of the worst choices one can make with today's economy. They say that you should never pay more than 20% of your income towards your home and most folks like you are paying above 50%.

This is a sure way that you will never become financially independent or be able to purpose of home on your own unless somehow your salary skyrockets.

I moved out when I was 24 and I moved back because I realized what a financial burden it has become.
Good advice and glad it worked for you but may not work for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or