Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 08:21 PM

229 posts, read 232,603 times

Advertisements

OK... you do not want to live in Vineland, Millville or Bridgeton. When yu say Cape May, do you mean Cape May proper or Cape May County, there is a big difference. Upper Schools are nice compared to what is out there, very safe area and caring teachers to be found, however the kids have to go to Ocean Cith High School and the district pays upwards of 16 thousand per student to send them there. EHT is a mass of traffic these days and if you enjoy quiet and spacce of your own you do not wish to go there either. Send some specific questions and I will do my best to answer them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2006, 10:34 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
be careful how one uses low property taxes, ocean county is being reassesed and and being brought up to market value, so be careful because as they work there way down to south jersey there wont be such a thing as low property taxes and you need to plan for up to 5 yrs so to speak if your still living in the house as the area getts populated taxes will be sky rocketing so just be aware that is all....and check out the schools greatschools.net

Staci

Old 12-28-2006, 11:53 PM

42 posts, read 187,444 times
Default not moving to S. Jersey

As of a few weeks ago, we decided not to move to S. Jersey. A few of the reasons are: sky high property taxes--and rising, high car insurance, poor air and water quality, high cancer rate, a long commute for my husband, and mediocre schools (at least in EHT). I'm aware there are excellent schools nearby, but there just wasn't real estate available. I must admit, many of the posts on this forum helped us to decide not to move. While I didn't let the entire decision rest on what I read on this forum, I did find a lot of helpful info. There were issues that I might not have been aware of before, that this forum brought to light, and helped shape our decision. I still have fond memories of S. Jersey, being that I grew up in the Phila. suburbs. Like many, I spent many childhood summers there. But right now, for me and my family, it just wasn't the right choice for us. Thanks to everyone for their insight.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:09 PM

34 posts, read 154,236 times
Good luck to you jeb412, wherever you do move to, or perhaps you are staying in the same area??

I, too, have decided against moving to EHT/South Jersey for all the same reasons you describe. My husband and I just really wanted an affordable house, in a nice area, but like you, we discovered that there is no such thing in Atlantic County. Fortunetly, we are falling back in love with NYC, as it is truly the best place on earth! We just need a little more maturity to realize that owning a home in our area will require more time and patience for saving money towards it, and still, may never become a reality due to sky-high prices. Still, we have the best of everything close by, so we cannot complain. To think we almost went to contract on a home in an area where there is so much toxicity, crazy property taxes, and major termite problems, just to name a few, lol, makes me sick to my stomach--but, ironically, the development we were looking to buy into just closed its sales office due to lack of buyers--we were truly saved from entering into a disastrous situation.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:17 PM

NYC im curious which builder closed?? I know most of them here are really hurting since people cant sell their homes they apparenlty cant buy new...

Old 01-03-2007, 07:20 AM

42 posts, read 187,444 times
Good luck to you too, nyc-girl. I think we were both saved from what could have been a really bad decision. My husband and I were so close to deciding to make the move to S. Jersey, and at the last minute realized that we were kidding ourselves. We liked the idea of living there. But other than that, the negatives far outweighed the positives. As I still follow this forum, I am reminded daily, that we made the best decision for us. I'm glad you came to the same conclusion before buying the lot you were interested in. We'll either be staying put in NE PA, or heading down towards the lancaster, pa area. Of course, looking at new contstruction in that area, doesn't compare to what we could have gotten in Jersey. We could have gotten so much house for the money, it was unreal. They were willing to throw in finished basements, breakfast rooms, you name it. But now I realize why.

Old 01-09-2007, 08:25 AM

29 posts, read 153,468 times
It was Kara Homes that went bankrupt....filing Chapter 11 protection in Nov 06 and leaving many homebuyers high and dry, some having given Kara 6 figure deposits on new construction. Awful.

Old 01-09-2007, 05:48 PM

I knew about kara i had a freind who built with them and it was all over the asbury park press about it and these people who got taken for the money..so to speak...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey