Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 09:32 PM

7 posts, read 12,754 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone
Long time lurker, but I am about ready to start posting. Been reading a lot and already have a fair idea, but that has been from gleaning advice given to other members. Now, we are at that point where we will need some guidance.

A little about us -
Where are you coming from? -[i] Brooklyn[i]
Why are you moving? - Growing family, need more space and more relative value for the money
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? - NJ/Brooklyn (this could change as wife is interviewing for positions in NJ

Will you buy or rent? - Prefer to Buy (but might rent initially depending on availability and the reality we are facing)
What is your budget ? - ~$750,000
What kind of place are you looking for ? - Single Family Home

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? - Spouse and 2 kids
Do you need/want good public schools? - Yes, This is one of our primary drivers, for wanting to leave the city

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in - One of our main reasons for wanting to leave the city is our family expansion. Families with young children and diversity tops out list. So I would say a safe and quiet neighborhood that is also within reasonable distance from Public transport.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc) - Family Oriented, Safety and proximity to NY.

I will try to expand a little on the above -
My wife is sort of hung up on Montclair, and really wants that to be the destination, but me? Not so much i am a bit more flexible. This brings me to my first question (and please forgive my naïveté as i really do not know) -
i) Is there any obvious advantage Montclair has over surrounding towns like say? Maplewood and West Orange?
ii) If we decided to go with Montclair (and we have visited and even attended an open house in the past), is the inventory on Zillow, Realtor and Trulia really enough to rely on? Or would it be better to look for a local realtor, that could point us to gems we might be missing.
iii) FInally, we might be open to getting a fixer upper and completely renovating (we have gone as far as looking for empty lots and are exploring building from scratch). How easy is it to get approvals to make alterations or build. We are looking to make the move in the summer.

Thanks for your patience, and if my post doesn't make as much sense as i think it does, please ask and i will answer any questions.

A.

Last edited by Alkebulan; 03-08-2015 at 09:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 09:47 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,881,652 times
People on this forum talk about Montclair a lot, and the train is nice, but when I was in the town I was underwhelmed. Decaying properties, huge amounts of litter, and so forth - this was specifically in the area near the bay street station. If you're paying three quarters of a million dollars and moving out to the suburbs I'd rather be somewhere without that in the town boundaries, and without the people happy to live in those conditions sending their kids to the same public school. It is diverse and convenient to the city though, and some parts did look like a normal NJ suburb, and from a statistical standpoint the schools look good enough on paper (although much worse than some of the alternatives, you could afford to live in Ridgewood or Glen Rock for that kind of money).

Old 03-08-2015, 10:06 PM

Thanks for the straight forward feedback. And I do agree with the value for money argument you just made. Very interesting points on the decaying properties ( we did notice the housing stock was older than other townships we have randomly browsed) and heavy litters, I must confess those aren't words that I have mentally associated with the town.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:16 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,231,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
People on this forum talk about Montclair a lot, and the train is nice, but when I was in the town I was underwhelmed. Decaying properties, huge amounts of litter, and so forth - this was specifically in the area near the bay street station. If you're paying three quarters of a million dollars and moving out to the suburbs I'd rather be somewhere without that in the town boundaries, and without the people happy to live in those conditions sending their kids to the same public school. It is diverse and convenient to the city though, and some parts did look like a normal NJ suburb, and from a statistical standpoint the schools look good enough on paper (although much worse than some of the alternatives, you could afford to live in Ridgewood or Glen Rock for that kind of money).
The immediate vicinity of Bay St is by far the "worst" part of Montclair. None of the rest of the town is remotely similar.

Also, I'm sorry you might have to send your kids to school with poor people. The horror.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:17 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,881,652 times
Nor I, before visiting. It was quite surprising the discongruity between everything I had read here before having seen the place and actually being there. That said, it apparently is one of the worse parts of town -- I mentioned it on a thread a bit back and if I remember correctly sparked a discussion as to whether or not that was. Anyway, if your wife is dead set on it you should visit the town in person (not just browsing online) and look at both the bad and the good parts with her and see what the two of you think from what you see yourselves (although the present winter might hide somewhat both the bad and the good); in the end you and arguably more importantly her need to see it with your own eyes and decide if it's something that you are comfortable with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
The immediate vicinity of Bay St is by far the "worst" part of Montclair. None of the rest of the town is remotely similar.

Also, I'm sorry you might have to send your kids to school with poor people. The horror.
Eh, I get that sometimes people let houses decay out of lack of money or old age, and landlords often don't have the same motivation to keep them up that owner residents do. What really bothered me was the litter, that people are comfortable doing that to their own environment does not speak well of them, IMO.

Last edited by ALackOfCreativity; 03-08-2015 at 10:31 PM..

Old 03-08-2015, 11:44 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,224,057 times
Montclair, Maplewood, and South Orange are often mentioned in the same breath for being similar socio-economically, physically, politically, and culturally -- they're liberal and diverse towns with lots of arty/creative residents, gorgeous old housing stock, and lively, walkable downtowns with an easy commute to NYC. Montclair is bigger and has more to do. Maplewood and South Orange have a small-town feel, but still lots of good restaurants, etc.

West Orange is more of a traditional suburb with no real downtown and no train station, but some lovely houses. There are buses to the city and shuttles to the SO train station.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:49 AM

Thanks Kthnry, that is good info.
@ALackofCreativity, we have already visited Montclair twice and even attended an open house on a whim, just to get a feel of the neighborhoods. We drove around and i must say, it did feel very tranquil for a Saturday afternoon (at least coming from Brooklyn, it did.).

Old 03-09-2015, 03:21 PM

472 posts, read 811,807 times
I agree with Montclair, Maplewood, and South Orange.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:12 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,747,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Montclair, Maplewood, and South Orange are often mentioned in the same breath for being similar socio-economically, physically, politically, and culturally -- they're liberal and diverse towns with lots of arty/creative residents, gorgeous old housing stock, and lively, walkable downtowns with an easy commute to NYC. Montclair is bigger and has more to do. Maplewood and South Orange have a small-town feel, but still lots of good restaurants, etc.

West Orange is more of a traditional suburb with no real downtown and no train station, but some lovely houses. There are buses to the city and shuttles to the SO train station.
Pretty great summary above. I think all 4 of these towns should be considered. Montclair obviously has more to do and if the wife is a foodie she will love it. I assume you may also want to find a place where you can get somewhere close to the walkability of Brooklyn? That walkability, like it does anywhere will cost you. But the same goes for all of the other towns. West orange your money will go further because there is no train and no formal downtown. So if your ok driving more, then you may save some money or get more house there. I live in West Orange but when i go out 80% of the time its to Montclair.

As far as inventory, i would say that both Montclair and Maplewood are very competitive and there are often bidding wars because they are very popular towns. So keep that in mind. Having a local realtor may be an advantage because of this.

Good luck!

Old 03-13-2015, 10:13 AM

Thanks Pinkydspimp. You pretty much nailed the arguments she has made for Montclair. Walkability and the downtown with places to eat out occasionally. I did see some new constructions in west orange, but the school 'stats' got pulled on me. And since The research is still on going, I couldn't put forward a strong case. I am not a very handy person (but seems I have to learn that real quick) so 50yr+ old houses are a concern for me.
Maplewood has even less housing stock than Montclair. We will give South Orange a look, as we have given it the least attention.
The weekend is already outlined for this. thanks a lot for the feedback. Adding these to my other search results is proving invaluable in providing general guidance and reasonable starting points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey