Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2015, 12:09 PM

109 posts, read 125,278 times

Advertisements

Just curious what people thought and if they were aware if their town fluoridated.

Here's what some other nations have decided. I prefer Belgium's reasoning:
Fluoridation status of some countries
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 01:11 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,109,293 times
It isn't added to the water system in my area. Your "source" is clearly heavily biased, however.

I'm not particularly concerned about it on either side. It's fairly clear that it's at has an effect in what it's trying to accomplish, and at the levels consumed it's unlikely to cause harm.

On the other hand, I'm also skeptical of the necessity of it in the current era where oral health is much better understood and regular voluntary behavior should be enough to keep someone's mouth healthy.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:16 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,863,697 times
We don't add it to the water in town because it's naturally occurring in protective levels. Otherwise I'd be all for adding it.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:19 PM

32,915 posts, read 36,310,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by counter_inquisition View Post
Just curious what people thought and if they were aware if their town fluoridated.

Here's what some other nations have decided. I prefer Belgium's reasoning:
Fluoridation status of some countries
What's your agenda? Do you line in NJ or are you considering moving here? Do you have kids? Are you married? What? Give me a reason to answer your question.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:26 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,085 times
I don't think its controversial like vaccines...which shouldn't be at all BTW. I know the mayor of East Brunswick wants to stop adding fluoride although it doesn't cost much. The ADA and other medical groups say it's been very helpful preventing tooth decay wherever it's been introduced.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
What's your agenda? Do you line in NJ or are you considering moving here? Do you have kids? Are you married? What? Give me a reason to answer your question.
Why do you care about my agenda?

I personally am against it. Whether fluoride is amazing or not, individuals should have the right to choose.

I'm just curious how many people consider or care about the issue in the first place.

The fact that the above nations have chosen not to fluoridate/banned it I would hope would give you a second consideration of the topic.

The agenda of the site owner can be disregarded, read the letters instead from each nation.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:01 PM

20,321 posts, read 19,905,966 times
I think it robs us of our precious bodily fluids.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:18 PM

32,915 posts, read 36,310,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by counter_inquisition View Post
Why do you care about my agenda?

I personally am against it. Whether fluoride is amazing or not, individuals should have the right to choose.

I'm just curious how many people consider or care about the issue in the first place.

The fact that the above nations have chosen not to fluoridate/banned it I would hope would give you a second consideration of the topic.

The agenda of the site owner can be disregarded, read the letters instead from each nation.
You had the decency to not point at my typo. Sorry, I didn't mean to sound aggressive. I was just wondering why you started this thread.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I think it robs us of our precious bodily fluids.
I am not a chemist, so all the chemists here who have been told fluoride is god's gift to mankind and the greatest achievement of the last century, that's very nice.

Even if fluoride is a miracle dental cure all, people should still have a choice.

From what I've researched, fluoride is a halogen just like iodine (which your body actually needs and does not naturally produce). Your thyroid has receptors which recognize iodine and utilize it. These receptors will also recognize fluoride as if it is iodine, and will become blocked. Iodine your body needs, it is one of the most important elements your body utilizes to function. Hence why it was put into flour for many years before being replaced by toxic bromine.

If your township really cared about you, they'd add iodine to your bathing water. Either way, they shouldn't be adding ANYTHING to your drinking water that isn't a purifier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey