Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 08:17 AM

4,029 posts, read 3,639,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
Taking down all those beautiful sycamore trees was a travesty and did nothing for the town. My sister and I were in shock and disgusted when we saw what they did. The ONLY way to revitalize the Boulevard as a shopping destination is to address the parking situation, which has always been problematic going back to the 60s and 70s. The majority of the storefronts themselves has always been lackluster and devoid of character, but if there is enough parking, and for longer than two hours, people would come. They also need to have places to dine in the evening. You're not going to attract anyone other than locals with just luncheonettes and takeout.

I think the parking situation is fine there. I've never had an issue finding a spot within a block of wherever I'm going. As you said, there's nothing there drawing large crowds. Who is spending more than 2 hours on the Boulevard anyway? The only place I can think of where you might spend more than 2 hours is the Heights Bar & Grill and if I remember correctly, they have parking. I don't think I ever went there when they had those trees you speak of but I doubt it would have made me like it any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 10:34 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,040 times
Does anyone know who funded the Boulevard renovations? Would be interested in understanding how they pulled it off.

I was coming there for a few months to drop of my son at one of those English and Math enrichment schools. Boulevard is not Ridgewood but it is attractive street with plenty of businesses that are patronized. I could be wrong about this, but it looks like as part of the renovations, they buried the electric lines and got rid of the ugly poles. That is probably why they had to cut down the big trees. Plenty of new trees were planted along with the street furniture. Everything looks new and not run down. It is of course sad that they apparently had to cut down big trees...

Old 03-09-2017, 02:35 AM

762 posts, read 1,750,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduflow View Post
anyone where I can see pictures of it with the trees?
I Googled around. The first two are from articles at northjersey.com. The first is from 2012 and shows some of the trees near Franklin Ave.:

Here's another one that shows a new planting in the foreground with the old trees beyond it, which is how they were all along the Boulevard. It's from a 2011 article:

This pic from a 2015 article (picture might be older) shows one of the old trees in front of Heights Grill (which I will always remember as Monahan's, and painted green ). It gives an idea of height:

Here are some older pics from 1999-2004, which might give you an idea of how the 'vard looked with the old, tall trees:

Last edited by citychik; 03-09-2017 at 03:05 AM..

Old 03-09-2017, 04:36 AM

4,029 posts, read 3,639,406 times
It definitely looks better now without those huge trees.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:57 AM

4,181 posts, read 5,062,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
agreed.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:43 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post

Tree hater No old trees look awesome. It will be years if ever that the new trees will grow that high. Meanwhile, there is no shade when it is hot.

So anyone know, did they change power lines to run underground as part of these renovations? Or were they always underground?

Old 03-10-2017, 07:46 AM

762 posts, read 1,750,475 times
I think they went underground a really long time ago.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:12 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Sycamores have root systems that destroy streets and sidewalks if they don't have a lot of room, which is probably why those were taken down.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:40 AM

27 posts, read 46,345 times
Totally late to this, but as HH continues its route of destruction while its neighbors are making bank with major projects, an update might be timely.

HH was approved for Phase 10 of the Blvd project, which means the removal of trees all the way around the circle to Springfield. It also includes the Williams area which couldn't be made much uglier so why not?

The entire town, like many, has been stripped of much of its older tree stock. These were NOT an 'sccident waiting to happen,' and per the assessment paid for in 1999, the Architecture Firm noted the trees were the town's lone distinguishing feature and a maintenance plan was vital. Towns like Rutherford and Nutley are desired in large part due to their old tree canopies. These trees helped HH seem quaint and established whereas the bare blocks now showcase dilapidation.

Regardless, the trees were to be removed, but that does not excuse the mistakes and dangerous designs chosen that violate road standards:
1) nearly 2x the recommended streetlights, at extreme wattage, creating glare
2) lights placed randomly vs. evenly spaced and directly across/staggered
3) random placement and types of trees used vs. a maximum of 2 evenly spaced
4) sight triangles blocked at intersections by both trees and lights
5) paving over phase I/II stamped crosswalks and abandoning feature for future phases
6) doing nothing to reduce curb-cuts, resulting in nearly entire blocks of 'no parking' markage
7) aesthetic issues: using a different light than used at Boro Hall; not keeping benches consistent style

The grants were for pedestrian safety and not one change furthered this goal. If that were so, funds would have been used on:
1) crosswalk and bus stop bulb-outs
2) center landscape median
3) consistent shade trees
4) bus shelters
5) wayfinding signage
6) bike lanes

The Burgiss report recommended a focus on Raymond - Kipp as the commercial center. The sections beyond look ridiculous, passing a funeral home, gas station, and apartments.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:12 AM

27 posts, read 46,345 times
Parking is not an issue in HH; the parallel parking spaces are oversized and along with the spaces in the rear, are free. This is where a less myopic approach to 1-mile towns is needed, as well as knowledge of best practices and enforcement of compliance. A center median with business names and 'P >' indicators would let patrons and passers-by know what is in town and could have facilitated a critical mass of a niche... for example, at one time, there was Lovey's, the Victorian Tea House, Sarku Sushi, Rissotto House, Cucina, Ho Mei, Bagel Shop, Fisher's, Sofia's, and Gelatissimo within a few blocks. Promoting this variety of food/drink would have been great, but instead, the Tea House has been 1 casualty.

Also, the streetscape project should have reduced curb-cuts as much as it could. Several back lots could be combined to eliminate dangerous exits onto the Blvd. The amount of yellow striping is absurd and an indicator of how unsafe the project left pedestrians. For curb-cuts that had to be grandfathered, they - like many design flaws - should have been required to be removed with a change in tenancy.

There isn't any reason the Blvd shouldn't be filled with viable retail given the number of bus commuters, the increased density from Wesmont and little amenity offerings, easy walk for residents, etc. But, getting a downtown ready for business takes more than lights. Wesmont residents should see signs when they pass the circle, drivers on 17 should see in-town businesses in ads, 163-riders should see directories in bus shelters, etc.

Meanwhile, the town needs to enforce its design standards as the few historic facades are being mangled, hidden, or - like others - marred by outdated signage/awnings and non-retail-friendly windows/doors. These should all be required with change of tenancy. A retail door should not look like a house entrance; an awning in 2018 shouldn't be vinyl with a phone number. The town also needs to prioritize reducing 163 stops, gaining access to both Wesmont and Teterboro stations, and redeveloping 1. Washington - Central, 2. Central - Madison (gas station), 3. Williams - Route 46.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey