Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 06:06 PM

5 posts, read 7,667 times

Advertisements

The person on the phone told me I have to plead not guilty to go to court? I know I'm guilty but I don't want to get the points lol. I can pay the fine. What is the best way for not getting the points?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 06:17 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,091,606 times
If you don't have a bad record you can work something out with the prosecutor for a reduced charged with court fees/fines (sometimes, but it's worth a shot). If you have a bad record you can get a lawyer who might be able to do the same thing, but there's never a guarantee. Or, eat the points and take a defensive driving course to get a couple of points removed (provided you haven't recently taken one already). Good luck.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:30 PM

5 posts, read 7,667 times
Ok thanks man. How do I see a prosecutor? Do I just show up in court?

Old 03-19-2015, 11:40 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,596,404 times
Everyone who goes in and pleads not guilty first goes in to a "let's talk this over" room with the prosecutor, before you go to court. Some towns are nice and easy to deal with, other towns the prosecutor might have hundreds of cases to deal with and just rattles off some deal to you. But you have to start by pleading not guilty, otherwise if you plead guilty you just pay the fine and costs and you don't get any chance to make any deals.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:51 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kineshi View Post
The person on the phone told me I have to plead not guilty to go to court? I know I'm guilty but I don't want to get the points lol. I can pay the fine. What is the best way for not getting the points?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kineshi View Post
Ok thanks man. How do I see a prosecutor? Do I just show up in court?

Go to the court house and ask them your questions, they will be able to guide you to the proper office and who to speak with regarding this "legal" issue.
No one here can offer any legal advice and generally unless they work for the specific area of the court system they really cannot give you all of the important details nor can they guess what will happen in court, who you need to speak with or how much a fine might be.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:56 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,059,726 times
Typically the prosecutor will sit you down and tell you a lesser no points charge to plead guilty to. Then you say yes to the judge when he/she asks you if you want to plead guilty to that charge. Then you pay a boatload of court fees and go home poor.

Signed,
someone who used to have a lead foot.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:59 AM

426 posts, read 506,463 times
My husband got a ticket once in Newark for going through the red light while turning. To him, it seemed like a trap, because the light, at rush hour was super fast, green, yellow, red before you knew it, and the cops were just waiting to pull you over . It was a light where you go onto a highway. In any case, we went to court in Newark- the place was packed. They call your name, offer no points, a fine. You pay, you go home. It is a racket but it works.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:09 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,596,404 times
The most popular "racket" deal is the one called "unsafe driving" that as I understand it goes back to when Jim Mc Greevster was governor. I took it a few times myself but there are some rules like you can only use it like once or twice in 5 or 10 years or like once every 5 years after that and it is expensive. I think I paid about $485 or so.

Also it does show up on your license record as zero points unsafe driving. If you use it more than allowed they hit you for 4 points the third time. And some towns that are crowded with lots of "victims" will not bother to look up your record, they tell you its up to you to know how many unsafes you have.

And one time renewing my insurance or going to a new company the insurance company asked me about these unsafe driving tickets. I gave them some "dog ate my homework" excuse I think I told them I was parked or something and they didn't bother me any further.

The only other option is called "obstructing traffic" but it is very hard to get. You either have to know someone or luck out somehow because its less money about $75 and there is no record at all if you get that.

You could ask for that but 99% of the time they will just offer you the unsafe deal.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:15 AM

23,566 posts, read 17,245,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Go to the court house and ask them your questions, they will be able to guide you to the proper office and who to speak with regarding this "legal" issue.
No one here can offer any legal advice and generally unless they work for the specific area of the court system they really cannot give you all of the important details nor can they guess what will happen in court, who you need to speak with or how much a fine might be.
Isn't nice how the 'legal system' has it own secret language that no one but a lawyer can understand...for a price of course.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:03 AM

228 posts, read 1,205,557 times
Ask if you can plead guilty to a no points fine. I got a speeding ticket reduced to no points this way. I can't remember which statute it is. Something like "Failure to obey a traffic sign" or something to that affect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: