Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 07:48 PM

1,074 posts, read 949,392 times

Advertisements

I've driven through Linden and I have always seen polluted skies and a sense of concern. Is it a bad city to live in?
Pollution drops statewide, but rises at Linden refinery | NJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 08:49 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,110,561 times
West of the NEC it's a fairly normal place similar to it's neighboring towns. It's not a high-end area, but properties are maintained and it's not actively dangerous or anything.

East of the NEC is kind of where the image comes from. You get exactly what you expect. You've got oil refineries, US-1/I-278 and Linden Airport (with 42,000 aircraft operations a year) for neighbors, as well as residual pollution from 12+ lanes of the NJ Turnpike a mile to the east. And considering the wetlands/creeks, I believe it may have flood concerns.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:11 AM

472 posts, read 812,215 times
Sort of.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:28 AM

19,125 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Part of Linden does abut the old Exxon Bayway Refinery (now owned by Phillips 66), as well as chemical plants. That is why the folks in that town--even more than most residents of the state--are particularly outraged by our esteemed governor's sweetheart deal/giveaway pollution abatement settlement with Exxon for 3 cents on the dollar:

Bayway neighbors want answers on New Jersey's Exxon settlement | NJ.com

Old 03-14-2015, 09:10 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
I think the deal is ridiculous basically allowing pollution to stay within the whole NJ/NYC area.

Refinery toxic plumes can affect up to a 25mi radius which basically extends to all surrounding areas like Bayonne, Staten Island, even Manhattan if the wind direction is going inland it even affects towns further in. This is a state problem.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:17 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I think the deal is ridiculous basically allowing pollution to stay within the whole NJ/NYC area.

Refinery toxic plumes can affect up to a 25mi radius which basically extends to all surrounding areas like Bayonne, Staten Island, even Manhattan if the wind direction is going inland it even affects towns further in. This is a state problem.
It's about as ridiculous as the Staten Island dump illegally dumping medical and other waste into the ocean, allowing it to float down to New Jersey and land on our beaches, giving us a lasting reputation of having dirty beaches and affecting tourism revenue for years at the time. And the payout we got from New York was about as pathetic as people claim the settlement Christie made with Exxon is.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:30 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,476,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Part of Linden does abut the old Exxon Bayway Refinery (now owned by Phillips 66), as well as chemical plants. That is why the folks in that town--even more than most residents of the state--are particularly outraged by our esteemed governor's sweetheart deal/giveaway pollution abatement settlement with Exxon for 3 cents on the dollar:

Bayway neighbors want answers on New Jersey's Exxon settlement | NJ.com

Why did people vote for Christie?

Old 03-15-2015, 03:42 PM

19,125 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
Why did people vote for Christie?
The first time, he won simply because he wasn't Jon Corzine, and--of course--there were all of the lies that he told, including, "I would NEVER touch your pension benefits". That particular whopper is the reason why the NJ Firemen's Benevolent Association has launched an extensive "truth campaign" to further publicize his lies.

The second time, he won because the Dems fielded an extremely weak candidate, Barbara Buono, and because his BS hadn't yet been fully exposed.

At this point, our esteemed governor would have a hard time winning an election for Dog Catcher, because the public has begun to perceive his chicanery, his insider deals, and the outright lies told by him.

Here are a couple of links regarding one of his biggest lies that may yet come back to haunt him:

Just How Close Was Chris Christie to David Wildstein? | New Jersey News, Politics, Opinion, and Analysis

Wildstein's relationship to Christie closer than governor acknowledged, report says | NJ.com

Old 03-15-2015, 03:56 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,476,108 times

Old 03-16-2015, 02:47 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
New Jersey Senate To Vote To Reject Exxon Mobil Settlement « CBS New York

I hope the senate succeed in pulling this scandal out and force Exxon to pay for the whole mess or just shut it down already. If Christie doesn't clean this crap up, it will hurt him even more. Not that I actually think he any shot at becoming the Republican nominee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey