U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2008, 01:53 PM

13 posts, read 64,031 times

Advertisements

Hi. I need help getting information about an area in Franklin Township (Somerset County). We found a couple of townhouses that fit out budget and about to place an offer to ( still thinking on which one). The 2 townhouses that we've chosen is in communities that are close to each other -- Society Hill and Somerset Glen. I have some questions that I hope someone would shed some light to:

1. How safe is the area?
2. I have a son that will start pre-K this year, are there good/great schools around the vicinity?
3. How is the traffic on Lincoln Highway (27) during rush hour?
4. How is the parking situation in Jersey Ave station?
5. Are there buses around the area that goes to midtown mnh?

Thank you in advance.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 10:38 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,378,390 times
My advice - a big fat NO to Franklin.... Especially because you have a child. Nobody could pay me enough to send my kids to those schools. 27 is a nightmare. And parking on Jersey Ave is a flip of the coin.
Save yourself the maintenance fee and buy a home in another town in Somerset County where it is safer and close to a train station. There are a few with free parking even.
Good luck to you.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:16 PM

64 posts, read 304,543 times
Hi there, new to this message board and since we too are looking for a house thought I would check out the site. I have lived in Franklin for almost 5 years and have never had any problems. I commute via train and take the jersey ave train into Newark without any problems. The train station is HUGE with PLENTY of parking! I dont know of ANY major park and ride that doesnt charge for parking. Franklin has some really beautiful areas and great value for your money. AS far as schools go - I think the elementary schools are fine - the high schools leave something to be desired. so if this is just a transition home and you have a few years before highschool is a factor I say go for it. As far as safety -- its FINE!! I walk/exercise around my complex (at night) never fearful. I think people get paranoid when they read an article in the paper and think oh my goodness is it safe? Again - never had a problem. I have several friends that live in society hill and they take a bus from the walgreens which is right in front of the complex -- right into NYC. Traffic in that ENTIRE area during rush hour is tough -- rt 27, rt1, rt 287 - the turnpike -- its RUSH HOUR! would you expect anything else. Perhaps private school is an option - but probably not necessary as you said your child is going to pre-K.

As far as the communtiies go -- I have seen the both (when we were looking) and society hill homes look nicer than somerset glen. I say go for it -- GOOD LUCK

Last edited by ic18; 01-14-2008 at 01:15 PM..

Old 01-14-2008, 01:25 PM

2,212 posts, read 6,784,761 times
Hi. I live in Franklin too, and I have 1 kid in kindergarten and 1 about to enter preschool (we have pre-K here in the elementary schools). As mentioned above, the elementary schools are good, and the area mentioned would put you in Franklin Park School which is the best in the district. The area is perfectly safe and I too jog/walk the dog at night and have never had any issues. Like the above poster, I get a bit tired of the neurotic postings about the town from people who don't live there and have built it up in their heads as some sort of ghetto. We have a good mixed population with lots of professionals and a large variety of housing from apartments to million dollar mansions. The library was just expanded, we have great sports programs (my kids are part of a USTA pilot program) and even summer camp options for town residents. I actually know people from surrounding towns who lie about their addresses to get their kids into summer camp here. So ignore panic mongering posts like that above.

On the other hand, I would say that Society Hill has better facilities than Somerset Glen and you can get the bus from the entrance (the express takes an hour and is actually pretty efficient. Route 27 is pretty packed at rush hour though.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:21 PM

Default Wynnefield Community

Thank you for your help. Our realtor just showed me a townhouse in Wynnefield community. It's close to Society Hill community and the layout is much better (in my opinion) than Somerset Glen or Society Hill. The only downside here is that there are no garage nor basement like the ones in Somerset Glen have. Would you also know if the community is safe for my family? I heard there were isolated cases before of car vandalism and a couple of house and car break-ins. The community looks quiet, though. Can anyone tell me if the place is good to call a home?

Old 01-18-2008, 03:48 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,378,390 times
BTW, just to answer the question, Somerville and Bridgewater are free park and ride stations.
Just an FYI

Old 01-18-2008, 06:14 AM

I am not familiar with that community - but if there were reports of vandalism and break ins - esp home invasions --I wouldnt do it.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:26 AM

Default Express bus to NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
On the other hand, I would say that Society Hill has better facilities than Somerset Glen and you can get the bus from the entrance (the express takes an hour and is actually pretty efficient. Route 27 is pretty packed at rush hour though.
Hi AnthonyB, would you know the name of the bus company?

Old 01-22-2008, 12:45 PM

I believe it may be NJ Transit bus line --

Old 01-22-2008, 02:58 PM

2,212 posts, read 6,784,761 times
The name of the bus company is Coach USA I think. They have a station further down on route 27 towards New Brunswick on the right, but the bus stops everywhere and the express goes down Finnegans lane and on to Route 1. I've taken it, and been in NY in around an hour (only the express).
Wynnefield is the nicest part, much better than Somerset Glen although I do agree about the basements and garages, it is a bummer that they don't have them. They are the nicest houses and neighbourhood though. I

I live in the general area though (just off of 27) and haven't had problems. I know a lot of people in the area, with good incomes and a definitely middle class outlook who are constantly amazed that things here are so much "better" than by reputation. The school is good and very diverse, which I like as my kids are learning to accept all races and religions. The other kids families are always very nice, friendly and generally well educated and we have the definite advantage of not being a snobby, status consious area. Much easier on the pocketbook when you don't have to compete with designer wearing tots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey