Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 05:11 AM

81 posts, read 184,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlieandme View Post
Thank you, Atsushi, for all the interesting advice and perspective on Plainfield. In my home search, I've seen some beautiful homes there. But every time I tell anyone that I'm looking there , they get a look of horror on their faces.
It reminds me of Asbury park, where I used to live, many years ago. Now, recently it's really been revived , there a beautiful homes but not such great areas either. They have a big crime problem, and their schools are very good either. I don't need schools now, but there's always the issue of resale.
And, I'm looking for a smaller house, I don't want a big house ,and we're trying to size down.
It's not an easy thing to find . So, we're looking in Edison (overpriced), Metuchen (nice but overpriced), Woodbridge (taxes are high), Colonia, not too bad, Rahway (not sure), and Highland Park (a little high, but the town looks like it's dying.)
Thanks again!
interesting observation about highland park....what gives that impression if i may ask...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 06:13 AM

19,122 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlieandme View Post
Woodbridge (taxes are high), Colonia, not too bad

Because Colonia is part of Woodbridge Township, the tax rates there are the same as they are in Woodbridge, Iselin, Port Reading, Avenel, Keasbey, and the other sections of Woodbridge Township.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:07 AM

38 posts, read 56,805 times
memema,
About the Highland Park comment, I recently read an article on NJ.com about how Highland Park wants to limit smoking on their Main Street, and not sell cigarettes. The author of the article seemed to think that would cause a lot of people not to shop there, because some people still do smoke, and they don't like being told that they can't smoke outside. A lot of stores are out, and many are on the brink of going under. I like Highland Park, but theres not a lot of inventory, unless you want to spend a lot,and at this stage of my life, that's not gonna happen. I think older people who have been in their homes a long time, are waiting for prices to go up to list their homes, but they may have a long wait. Im seeing older homes for $259K, 2 or 3 bedroom, 1 bath, and really old kitchens...never updated since the 50's. ugh.

Retriever, I didn't know that about Colonia, thank you. The taxes do seem high in Woodbridge Township, but i guess its all relative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey