Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2015, 02:29 PM

5 posts, read 9,255 times

Advertisements

Single 24yo from California. I got a job near Lodi, NJ and hope to live no farther than 30min away from work, somewhere like Hoboken. I would like to move to Jersey during the first two weeks of June.

How early should I start looking for a place? Living in CA means I either have to apartment hunt in late April when I have 9 days vacation or do it in June.

Moving Alone and No Pets
Rent Budget: 1700
Type of Place: Ideally 1br/1ba or a studio by myself, but I would live in a 2br/2ba with a housemate
Neighborhood Type: Young Single People. I plan to bring my car so minimizing parking costs would be ideal.

Also, should I get rid of my car?

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by Angst; 03-23-2015 at 03:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 03:12 PM

472 posts, read 812,215 times
Try Hoboken or Jersey City. I'm not sure what the rental prices are though. And you probably should keep your car.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:41 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,143,947 times
Parking is a nightmare in Hoboken, but without a car you're going to have a very hard time getting to Lodi. Any public transportation would be a huge hassle and would likely involve a lot of transfers and walking. You could budget around $250/month for garage parking. Parking in Jersey City is also difficult (I did residential street parking for many years), just not quite as bad as Hoboken.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:26 PM

Good to know guys. So I'll keep the car.

Any consensus on the places to avoid in Jersey City and Hoboken (ie dangerous / run down places).

Old 03-24-2015, 01:44 PM

Also, any thoughts regarding: Jersey City vs. Hoboken vs. Weehawken vs. Union City for a single young professional California dude.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:31 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,808,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
Also, any thoughts regarding: Jersey City vs. Hoboken vs. Weehawken vs. Union City for a single young professional California dude.
As someone who lived in HOB between 2011-2013 and came from going to school in CA (now back in CA, grew up in NJ) it's a hard draw between HOB & JC. If it were 2011 again, I would say HOB but since JC has experienced gentrification, I would go with lower JC.

HOB's young community came off as more naive, broey, & the bars got played out fast. The food at restaurants is overpriced and not very good (better off preparing food at home.)

Uptown HOB is a bit more mature with better quality housing and less noise than lower HOB where my father currently lives.

As previously mentioned, parking in HOB is a commodity. And as someone who loves cars I had to arrange for a parking spot. Thankfully, my extended family who lives in HOB were able to get a discounted spot in a garage for around $90 a month. That, however, is not the norm. I was lucky.

However since I left, the Grove St. area of JC kept maturing and more restaurants and bars have opened. It is slightly cheaper than HOB and is more up and coming. I would consider looking there if you are looking for more of a scene. There are 3 PATH stations in JC as well as compared to HOB's 1.

Weehawken is quiet and more family oriented. It's definitely cheaper than HOB and JC but with less bars and restaurants. Union City would be the cheapest option with the least amount to do and more crime. Both are connected via light rail to HOB train station, but the hours are more limited and it's not a quick ride.

However, since your job is in Lodi the commute would be easier from Weehawken and/or Union City over HOB and JC. Something to keep in mind.

Does this help you out?

Old 03-24-2015, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
As someone who lived in HOB between 2011-2013 and came from going to school in CA (now back in CA, grew up in NJ) it's a hard draw between HOB & JC. If it were 2011 again, I would say HOB but since JC has experienced gentrification, I would go with lower JC.

HOB's young community came off as more naive, broey, & the bars got played out fast. The food at restaurants is overpriced and not very good (better off preparing food at home.)

Uptown HOB is a bit more mature with better quality housing and less noise than lower HOB where my father currently lives.

As previously mentioned, parking in HOB is a commodity. And as someone who loves cars I had to arrange for a parking spot. Thankfully, my extended family who lives in HOB were able to get a discounted spot in a garage for around $90 a month. That, however, is not the norm. I was lucky.

However since I left, the Grove St. area of JC kept maturing and more restaurants and bars have opened. It is slightly cheaper than HOB and is more up and coming. I would consider looking there if you are looking for more of a scene. There are 3 PATH stations in JC as well as compared to HOB's 1.

Weehawken is quiet and more family oriented. It's definitely cheaper than HOB and JC but with less bars and restaurants. Union City would be the cheapest option with the least amount to do and more crime. Both are connected via light rail to HOB train station, but the hours are more limited and it's not a quick ride.

However, since your job is in Lodi the commute would be easier from Weehawken and/or Union City over HOB and JC. Something to keep in mind.

Does this help you out?
AWESOME summary man. THANKS!!!

Old 03-24-2015, 07:04 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,143,947 times
Hoboken is where all the young people move to right after they graduate college. It's the "cool" place to be at that age. So you'll find most of lower Hoboken filled with people in their mid and late 20's. It is not uncommon to see drunks vomiting on the sidewalk at 2am on a Friday or Saturday night (yes, I have witnessed this with my own eyes). Jersey City is a slightly older, more mature crowd. Much more laid back when I lived there several years ago.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:52 PM

Thanks! I only have a small window to find a place to I'll probably take whatever I can find in Hoboken or Jersy city.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:26 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,065 times
Yes definitely go for hoboken and Jersey City being a single guy. You will be able to easily get to either town and NYC. Also, in both places apartments are in high demand and can go quickly so if you find something be prepared to make a deposit ASAP.

Also, i would recommend having a roommate at least for the first year. it will open up your options and put you in a better neighborhood. Plus it will be easier to meet people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey