Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2015, 11:54 PM

67 posts, read 165,518 times

Advertisements

Both the buyer and the seller typically have realtors. Who pays the realtor fee? What percentage is the fee typically?

If the buyer is confident that they can do their own home search and negotiation then is a realtor recommended?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 06:20 AM

324 posts, read 574,827 times
Seller pays. Standard percentage is 6%. Many will do 5%. Half goes to buyer's agent, half to seller's.

Realtor is still recommended, especially if you don't know the answers to these questions. There's a lot more involved than just finding a home and negotiating a price. They will guide you through the process.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:46 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,185,759 times
If this is your first home purchase, using a realtor might help. If you have purchased a home before, you might not need one as most of the services that a realtor provides could be done by yourself e.g. home search can be done easily online. The only aspect where a realtor might do better is provide you comps of recent home sales, which I do not believe is available online for recent sales. Other important services are provided by an inspector and attorney so in my opinion, a realtor does not add much value.

But note that if the seller is selling using a realtor, you have nothing to lose by using a realtor. If you don't use a realtor, the seller's relator takes the full 5% commission. So effectively you are using your buy-side realtor for free as the seller pays for it.

I have come across a few realtors who genuinely know their jobs and markets and provide excellent help to the buyers. But a good 95% do not fall in the above definition and are not much help beyond unlocking the house, wait outside for you and then ask you "do you want to place and offer"?

Old 03-26-2015, 06:50 AM

21 posts, read 51,914 times
I've been really happy with the agents at Redfin, which will give you part of the commission back as a refund. You can do the home search part yourself, but they'll still help you visit houses you like at your convenience and provide good comps and advice.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:30 AM

550 posts, read 965,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
I have come across a few realtors who genuinely know their jobs and markets and provide excellent help to the buyers. But a good 95% do not fall in the above definition and are not much help beyond unlocking the house, wait outside for you and then ask you "do you want to place and offer"?
As a licensed New Jersey real estate agent, I'm disappointed to hear this. Above all, the ability to effectively represent clients' best interests while offering expert advice throughout the real estate transaction should be what matters most for any real estate agent.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:36 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,864,277 times
We used a realtor as a first time home buyer and it was a great experience. We came in with a very tight budget to meet and location requirements that eliminated a few things he'd pulled for us to look at and as a result looked at a few others he'd known of. He was a great sounding board through the entire process and I'd easily use him to sell a house if the time came. He knew the area, knew what was available, the schools, restaurants, and listened to us when we were in a house to tailor our search to another location that would be closer to what we wanted.

It was a really great process for us and it saved us a lot of time just being able to talk over locations in his office before heading out. Since we literally paid nothing for it I can't figure out why a buyer wouldn't use a realtor if the seller already is. If it's FSBO that's another story, but if the seller is the buyer should as well and just make it easy on themselves.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:32 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,148,490 times
I highly recommend you to find a good buyer's agent who has YOUR interests in mind (ie. make sure the agent you ultimately decide to use isn't representing the seller also). If the agent is also representing the seller, s/he will not have your interests in mind and will not be in a position to provide you confidential advice. In other words, you will NOT be properly represented.

I was involved in a 5 way bidding war for our house (estate sale) back in 2012 and our agent was instrumental in representing us. She updated us daily throughout the buying process and kept the selling agent in check. If the seller's attorney was slacking off, she would go to the attorney's office and hound him until he completed what he needed to complete. Our agent was priceless. No wonder she's selling $1m+ homes now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey