Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 04:45 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,747,813 times

Advertisements

N.J. downtown named 2015 'Great American Main Street'

https://player.vimeo.com/video/118618547

Quote:
The Montclair Center Business Improvement District, a nonprofit that works to bolster and promote the township's downtown district, has been named one of three 2015 winners of the National Main Street Center's Great American Main Street Award.

Each year, the National Main Street Center awards what it calls the "best examples of comprehensive commercial district revitalization." For 2015, Montclair shares the distinction with Cape Giradeau, Mo., and Rawlins, Wyo.
This year marks only the second time in the contest's 18-year history that a New Jersey town has been chosen (Westfield picked up the award in 2004).
"Montclair Center is a superb example of what we're seeing nationally: Americans, in increasing numbers, are drawn to walkable, attractive downtowns with a lively arts, shopping and restaurant scene," Patrice Frey, president and CEO of the National Main Street Center, said in a release about the distinction.
According to the National Main Street Center, GAMSAs are given to communities exemplifying the use of the "Main Street Approach" to revitalize their downtown business districts. The approach focuses on local cultural, architectural, and business assets, as well as community pride, to bolster economic development.
Montclair was named one of 10 semifinalists in the 2015 contest last year.
"An award like this says that downtown Montclair is going places," said Luther Flurry, the executive director of Montclair BID, said at the time.
In a video about the win, state Main Street officials pointed out several features of the township's downtown area that allowed it to pull ahead in the competition, like its arts establishments and more than 85 restaurants.
"Frankly, we could not be happier," Flurry said of the award in the video.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 05:39 PM

882 posts, read 1,670,034 times
Awesome! I think this might be a bit over the top, it seems to me that many DC-are suburbs have great downtowns comparable to Montclair's, and I'm sure many other towns dating to the mid-to-late 19th century can boast the same. Not to say Montclair isn't great, just not sure that it's one of the best in the US.

In NJ? definitely. When moving to South Jersey, I asked what towns were comparable to Montclair or Morristown, and was told to try Philadelphia.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:39 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,865,524 times
Why, that just can't be! This other list said Montclair was the 242nd best town for Families in NJ! Why, it's almost like each of these lists was wrong!

Old 04-01-2015, 08:25 AM

19,120 posts, read 25,316,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
Why, that just can't be! This other list said Montclair was the 242nd best town for Families in NJ! Why, it's almost like each of these lists was wrong!

No, it's just not possible that one of those lists could be wrong.
After all, they can be found on the internet, and as we all know...Everything on the internet is accurate!

Hmmm...Perhaps we should see how we can make those two list co-exist.
How about this solution...
Move to Pennington, but drive your children to Montclair every time you want to take a walk down a main street with them...

Old 04-10-2015, 10:35 AM

478 posts, read 1,229,710 times
It's all in how the process works. Kind of like school rankings. A lot of self promotion helps with some lists, not at all for others. Best of Essex, for example, depends heavily on business owner soliciting votes. I think the Montclair BID worked hard to be included.

Old 04-11-2015, 06:30 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,142,152 times
The problem with any type of rankings is that the criteria and methodology are completely arbitrary.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:30 AM

472 posts, read 811,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
The problem with any type of rankings is that the criteria and methodology are completely arbitrary.
I couldn't agree more.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:54 AM

10,442 posts, read 6,969,439 times
It's not bad, but the best? I can think of many more downtowns that I would rather walk down that might be safer.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:40 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,090,099 times
So can you suggest which address or at least street intersection this great down town starts with? And how far is the closest parking? My wife and I drove there but I think we did not explore the most interesting areas.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:26 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,142,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
So can you suggest which address or at least street intersection this great down town starts with? And how far is the closest parking? My wife and I drove there but I think we did not explore the most interesting areas.
Just drive down Bloomfield Ave. The northernmost part of downtown is where the Montclair Art Museum is. The southernmost part is near the Glen Ridge border. And of course you have all the little side streets off Bloomfield Ave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey