Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2008, 11:39 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,324,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsvtec View Post
we just recently got accepted for section 8. i have 4 daughters (3 in school), my wife works full time i work part time, and we both are in school. I haven't found a place yet that accepts section 8.

when we moved to this town, we had to apply for gov't assistance since we weren't working and were only students, trying to survive. we were on gov't assistance for 9 months, then my wife finally got her job. at that time we applied for sect. 8. the lady at the office said you can qualify if your income is at a certain bracket. and the rent you pay is based on your income.

reading all these posts, i believe there are many ignorant people and hiprocrits. this is my last year of school, and were hoping that section 8 will help us through our tough times.
people that complain here are people that maybe are in the mid - upper class. why hate when the poor are becoming poorer while the rich become richer. Instead of pushing and shoving your way to the top, why don't you give the poor people a chance to move up to a better status of living?
The landlord that refuses section 8 are lazy landlords. Section 8 requires a near-perfect home with working stoves etc. etc.. Not all section 8 recipients are bad tenants.
Who is being ignorant now? You automatically assume that those against Section 8 handouts are in the mid to upper class and have "pushed" their way to the top? You then question "why don't you give the poor people a chance?" Why is it my-or anyone else's "responsibility" to give poor people or anyone else for that matter-anything? They have a chance-just like every other member of society. Work hard and do whatever it takes-SACRIFICE. Don't make excuses or expect others to do it. Why is this such a foreign concept today? Can anyone answer that for me? Please.

I worked 70-80 hours a week and my husband did the same-4 jobs between us-while I was going to graduate school full time. For about a year I worked a third job as well tutoring before my classes. We paid for everything. No one gave me a section 8 voucher and I certainly wasn't looking for one. All I did was pay more taxes for people who refuse to do whatever it takes.

There are plenty of people out here who work hard-more than one job-who have never taken welfare or public assistance, etc. It can be done-the problem is many people do not want to do it. Somehow hard work and making your own way is frowned upon by many today.

As to your little dig at the upper middle class. Guess what people "with money" are not all born with it. You accuse them of "pushing their way to the top". Some grow up poor-work their a$$es off and rely on no hand outs- and they are villified? I have the utmost respect for people who make something out of themselves with hard work, sacrifice and not expecting others to pay for them.

Last edited by nicolem; 08-26-2008 at 11:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 11:48 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnePatrice View Post
This is EXACTLY how I feel. How do people who can't afford to pay their own rent go and have FOUR children? Comeon people. That is completely irresponsible in my opinion.
I'm sure the response that comes back will be something along the lines of "sometimes things happen- we didn't plan on having 4 kids"............

Old 08-26-2008, 11:49 AM

730 posts, read 2,887,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I'm sure the response that comes back will be something along the lines of "sometimes things happen- we didn't plan on having 4 kids"............
most def there will be some sort of explanation.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:55 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,667,253 times
Quote:
I didn't plan on having 4 kids....

Which is why we have invested in those crazy newfangled condom thingies, and those whacky no-baby pills! Of course, these things aren't readily available at pharmacies, and you can't get them free/discounted from places that couldn't exist, which specialize in just this thing (Planned Parenthood - hey, I wonder what that place is all about?). Its a wonder I still don't have 4 kids!

I empathize when someone well and truly needs some help getting back on their feet (such as a recent poster who was embarrassed (without reason, imho) at needing assistance due to a combination of job loss with a wife getting very sick).

I do not empathize with moronic behavior. Its called responsibility.

Am I middle class now, perhaps upper-middle (due to single income, single, including all income sources)? Sure. As far as I'm concerned, I've made it. I have a place in beautiful suburbia, a commute I'm happy with, a property that can only go up in value, and a 10yr plan for my future. Without a college education. Without a silver spoon. I can identify one thing my parents taught me which made me who I am today: Personal Responsibility.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post

Am I middle class now, perhaps upper-middle (due to single income, single, including all income sources)? Sure. As far as I'm concerned, I've made it. I have a place in beautiful suburbia, a commute I'm happy with, a property that can only go up in value, and a 10yr plan for my future. Without a college education. Without a silver spoon. I can identify one thing my parents taught me which made me who I am today: Personal Responsibility.
Shhhh...don't talk about that too loudly- the democrats may hear you- and they don't like people having that stuff.................

Old 08-26-2008, 12:27 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,667,253 times
Quote:
Shhhh...don't talk about that too loudly- the democrats may hear you- and they don't like people having that stuff.................
I must be crazy to work a full time job, work my own side business, and not be mooching for all its worth! Craziness I tell ya!

Old 08-26-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
I must be crazy to work a full time job, work my own side business, and not be mooching for all its worth! Craziness I tell ya!
Well, you are from Jersey, so you've got to be at least a little crazy. Maybe you didn't drink enough of the Kool-aid that they passed out in elementary school- I think that's where they tainted folks to start looking for handouts........

Old 08-26-2008, 02:02 PM

2 posts, read 4,822 times
Quote:
No, just the overwhelming majority.

Exceptions do *not* make the rule.

Years on government assistance, to me, is absolutely milking the system. Tough times? Why did you make the choice to have children when you couldn't afford them?

I'm sorry, I can't feel bad for people who make incredibly life changing decisions and then expect government support.

Losing a job after you've had kids, and need some help for a few months, maybe a year? Absolutely, thats fine 100%. In fact, thats what these programs are for. Have kids and then look for a job?

F'ing ridiculous. You will *not* make me feel bad for you for that one.
lol we don't need your sympathy, everyone is milking the system in a way, like i said again, its only people like you guys here that make your complaints, and its going no where. i believe the section 8 program is good, and i'm glad that the gov't still paying.

please pay those tax dollars and help out the poor and needy.. thx case closed

Old 08-26-2008, 02:07 PM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsvtec View Post
lol we don't need your sympathy, everyone is milking the system in a way, like i said again, its only people like you guys here that make your complaints, and its going no where. i believe the section 8 program is good, and i'm glad that the gov't still paying.

please pay those tax dollars and help out the poor and needy.. thx case closed
Of course not.....you have our money via taxes..you are more then likely laughing all the way to the bank

and it's attitudes like that.....that make hard working people question all these social services programs...

Old 08-26-2008, 02:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,271 times
as a home owner i have rented to section 8ters b4. i feel that a home with a rent of 1200 is rarely to get rented in my area. and my mortgage is already 900 for that property.

my section 8 renters have been renting for 2 years and are good tenants with good payment, just they have a bigger family.

the section program is pretty simple, just attend a course and make sure your home passes inspection. they also do yearly inspections to make sure the house is up to date with repairs. since my home is a newer home i have no issues with that.

i have not had any issues with sec. 8. i think its a good way out if you can't find renters. my best friend trying to rent his home for 1350, but no renters .. i told him about section 8...

overall section is a hit or miss, just do a good screening on the tenants..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey