Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2008, 11:20 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,667,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
In a country of 300 million people anyone can find any sort of villain they're looking for of any color they want. It's trite propaganda. I'll say it again, the racist idea that most (or even a majority) of black people in the inner city are Section 8 recipients is a joke for a lot of reasons.
Race is irrelevant - we have trash of all colors here in NJ. Diversified trash.

Quote:
It's easy for middle-class adults to lecture some 16 or 17 year old kid with drug-addict parents about the rewards of personal responsibility but until you address some serious root problems you're just talking into the wind. My guess is that people do that so they can wash their hands of it and have someone else to blame for it.
Root Problems:
  • Having children without being able to afford them
  • Disabilities as a limiting factor on job opportunities
  • Low income working class - inability to afford a home/apt.

Potential solutions:
  • Freely available prophylactics
  • Improve educational system, and provide direct focus on potential career paths for persons of various disabilities (Though some, obviously, will never be able to work. They should remain assisted.)
  • Increase savings and spending education in schools, and provide free public programs for the same.
  • Increase minimum wage, lower corporate taxes. Provide tax advantages to companies which boast a greater salary for non-executives based upon a percentage of net income.
  • Put a limit on assistance when the assisted person is fully capable of being on their own.

I accept praise in the form of cookies. With frosting on top - I really like frosting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 11:21 AM

730 posts, read 2,887,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuvopolis View Post
Actually, if you have been to Brooklyn, you will see that it is largely gentrified, and the crime rate has gone down a lot. Newark and Jersey City, while having a long way to go, are also trending in a positive direction.
I wouldn't say Brooklyn is "largely" gentrified

Old 08-27-2008, 12:01 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,324,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Race is irrelevant - we have trash of all colors here in NJ. Diversified trash.

I accept praise in the form of cookies. With frosting on top - I really like frosting
100% correct-race is irrelevant in this discussion.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:14 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,572,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
Thats the problem with this system. Regular tenants, as you put it, have to work in order to survive and pay their own bills. There is no assistance or handouts for them and usually they don't ask for it because they were taught to work hard and usually their parents set the example. So you are saying Section 8 people make better tenants because the landlord will automatically receive a government check in the mail? Wow. My question is, if you are working and on Section 8 what makes you better than the person who is on it and not working? Both are getting a bulk of their rent paid and even if you do pay taxes, which I assume you mean by what's coming out of your check, you are still not a homeowner and they usually pay the bulk of the city taxes.

I'm not saying anybody doesn't have to work, I'm saying that not every job pays enough for a person to pay all their expenses and students will not have enough time to work enough hours to get enough money to pay their expenses when in turn they will be the ones in the future who will be supporting the society and there for putting the money back in the system for someone else in need to use. I take offense to your comments because I work hard! I work at the front desk at a hotel making only $8.00 an hour and 30 hours a week (since I don't have a car and am restricted to that by public transportation.)so that boils down to about $960 per month. My bills on the other hand if I didn't have section 8 would be $524 for rent, my electric bill was $129 this month for some reason, and since it's summer my gas bill is around $50 so if you add that up it is $703. So what is greater, hmmm $640 or $703? and that isn't even including the water and sewage bills, transportation, or food and this is just a so-so neighborhood. If we didn't have section 8 we would be in a very dangerous neighborhood with people we have nothing in common with. Feel free to check careerbuilders.com or monster.com and check the job market here in Pittsburgh and you will see that jobs between $7.15 and $10.00 is the norm here unless you have some sort of degree and even then you might not find anything in their field and end up working a normal service job too.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:18 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,572,874 times
Quote:
In a country of 300 million people anyone can find any sort of villain they're looking for of any color they want. It's trite propaganda. I'll say it again, the racist idea that most (or even a majority) of black people in the inner city are Section 8 recipients is a joke for a lot of reasons.

Most people who live below the poverty line (and thus get some form of assistance) aren't black. Most people who live below the poverty line don't live in the inner city. People living below the poverty line in the suburbs have outnumbered those in the inner city since the 2000 census and it's only gotten worse for the suburbs since then.

It's easy for middle-class adults to lecture some 16 or 17 year old kid with drug-addict parents about the rewards of personal responsibility but until you address some serious root problems you're just talking into the wind. My guess is that people do that so they can wash their hands of it and have someone else to blame for it.

BTW - Section 8 is a federal program. Property taxes have nothing to do with it.

Homeownership isn't a qualification for paying property taxes. Do you think, as a landlord, that I don't factor in the cost of water and property taxes and pass the expense on to my tenant? My tenant pays the property taxes, I can assure you. He just gives me the check and I take care of the bill at the end of the year.

What i'd really like to see is for all of these middle-class folks who complain so much about "other people getting my money" to be able to stop paying taxes with no opportunity to buy back in to civil society.

They can dig a well in their backyard for drinking water and then they can put a septic tank on top of it. They can bear the full cost of educating their children for 17 years and enjoy paying even more for college. They can hire private security and private fire/rescue. They can pay to use the parks, playgrounds and libraries. They can pay more for utilities. They can pay $.07 per mile every time they pull out of their driveway. The list is endless but I shouldn't need to go on . . . we're all getting a ride and most of it is on money borrowed from other countries.
Kudos, kudos!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-27-2008, 12:23 PM

526 posts, read 2,068,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuvopolis View Post
Actually, if you have been to Brooklyn, you will see that it is largely gentrified, and the crime rate has gone down a lot. Newark and Jersey City, while having a long way to go, are also trending in a positive direction.
Newark is a slum that is NOT trending in a positive direction.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:25 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
When I don't make enough to cover my expenses I cut my expenses. I don't look for others to pitch in. Working full time and going to school part time for what felt like 100 hundred years was no fun, either. But it was the only way I could afford to do it. If I couldn't pay my own bills I certainly wouldn't look to move to an even more expensive area than the one where I was already receiving assistance.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:25 PM

625 posts, read 3,634,990 times
Default It's not about which race of people abuse the system more....

No one said most black people are on Section 8. I am black and in no way shape or form believe that. It just so happens that we are who the media chooses to show and honestly I would hope that it would make more single young black mothers want to change that image. UGGHHH IT'S NOT HAPPENNING. The problem is we don't make up a large part of the population, I believe the last time I checked we made up about 13% percent, but yet there are tons of us who live in dilapidated areas and as someone who used to work for the city government, we were constantly in and out of the housing and welfare office. There are numerous white and hispanics receiving Section 8 so finger pointing about which race "abuses the system" won't help the issue.

You are speaking from a landlords point of view. We are not all landlords on this thread. Section 8 may be a good thing for you because it's being paid directly to you. I guarantee your neighbors may not feel so great about it as you do. As far as Section 8 being a federal program, where do you think some federal monies come from??? Last time I checked my W-2 over $6k was taken from me. How much did you think I got back for a refund?? Less than $600. I went to college and had to take out student loans that will all have to be paid back, never qualified for free federal money because mother earned to much, when I became independent and was still in college I still didn't qualify for free federal money because I earned too much. In school I never qualified for free lunch either so you tell me what type of people are being penalized. Sure the government borrows from other countries, REAL U.S. working people alone can't afford to foot the bill for welfare and Section 8 recipients and any other assistance programs. The problem with these type of programs is that no one checks to see if these people really need the help. Section 8 is for life. The children can grow up and move out of the home but yet that person still can and will receive Section 8. They are not monitored and these programs will continue to abused which is a damn shame.

Property taxes are being paid on my home but I have no children in the school system. My neighbors and I all recycle which I am sure the city receives money from us doing so, I constantly have to pick up trash being left by the numerous people who I am sure are renting the house across the street from, and after doing all of this I only have to drive about 5 blocks away from me to see people sitting in front of their building littered with trash and glass.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:28 PM

526 posts, read 2,068,119 times
Quote:

Most people who live below the poverty line (and thus get some form of assistance) aren't black. Most people who live below the poverty line don't live in the inner city. People living below the poverty line in the suburbs have outnumbered those in the inner city since the 2000 census and it's only gotten worse for the suburbs since then.

BTW - Section 8 is a federal program. Property taxes have nothing to do with it.

Homeownership isn't a qualification for paying property taxes. Do you think, as a landlord, that I don't factor in the cost of water and property taxes and pass the expense on to my tenant? My tenant pays the property taxes, I can assure you. He just gives me the check and I take care of the bill at the end of the year.

What i'd really like to see is for all of these middle-class folks who complain so much about "other people getting my money" to be able to stop paying taxes with no opportunity to buy back in to civil society.

They can dig a well in their backyard for drinking water and then they can put a septic tank on top of it. They can bear the full cost of educating their children for 17 years and enjoy paying even more for college. They can hire private security and private fire/rescue. They can pay to use the parks, playgrounds and libraries. They can pay more for utilities. They can pay $.07 per mile every time they pull out of their driveway. The list is endless but I shouldn't need to go on . . . we're all getting a ride and most of it is on money borrowed from other countries.
If slumlords are now the upper crust, I'll happily consider myself middle class.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:41 PM

625 posts, read 3,634,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
I'm not saying anybody doesn't have to work, I'm saying that not every job pays enough for a person to pay all their expenses and students will not have enough time to work enough hours to get enough money to pay their expenses when in turn they will be the ones in the future who will be supporting the society and there for putting the money back in the system for someone else in need to use. I take offense to your comments because I work hard! I work at the front desk at a hotel making only $8.00 an hour and 30 hours a week (since I don't have a car and am restricted to that by public transportation.)so that boils down to about $960 per month. My bills on the other hand if I didn't have section 8 would be $524 for rent, my electric bill was $129 this month for some reason, and since it's summer my gas bill is around $50 so if you add that up it is $703. So what is greater, hmmm $640 or $703? and that isn't even including the water and sewage bills, transportation, or food and this is just a so-so neighborhood. If we didn't have section 8 we would be in a very dangerous neighborhood with people we have nothing in common with. Feel free to check careerbuilders.com or monster.com and check the job market here in Pittsburgh and you will see that jobs between $7.15 and $10.00 is the norm here unless you have some sort of degree and even then you might not find anything in their field and end up working a normal service job too.
I worked full time and went to school full-time. I was earning $12 an hour as an accounting assistant even though I hated accounting. Within 6 months I showed them how much of a hardworker I was and how I went above and beyond and cleaned up accounts that were written off as uncollectable. I was given almost a $3 raise and bust my a$$ to finish school and I didn't run out and make a baby while I was doing it. I am sorry but if you are looking for sympathy you won't get it from me. Yes employers have gotten extremely cheap but there are other jobs. If you have marketable skills and are willing to take a risk and apply for a job with tons of responsibilities you can turn that $10 into $12 in no time. When did minimum wage become the norm to raise a family on???? I haven't made $8 an hour since I was 18 because I knew I would never be able to survive on that. I then got a job at a bank making $9 and enrolled in a community college. I registered with temp agencies. The temp agency found me a temp to hire coordinator job. I was hired permanent 3 months later and began earning almost $28k per year. All of this was done without a degree. After seeing people being hired to do jobs similar to mine and having them earn almost $10k more just for having a degree I went back to college and got my degree. My point is change can be made if the individual has more ambition than excuses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey