Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2008, 11:30 AM

625 posts, read 3,635,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07860 View Post
for the most part, today's generation doesn't know diddley about personal sacrifice and a lot of them lack effort, it boggles my mind on how they can be content on wasting their lives jumping from one bed to another, expecting a helping hand when they're able of body & mind, or when they think that when the govt takes a cut out of the paycheck to pay child support is = to "I'm taking care of my kids". We keep lowering the standards & expectations of our fellow man, as the saying goes, I rather teach you how to fish & hunt (PETA hold your panties) instead of giving you free $ so you can buy cigarrettes & alcohol. Earn an honest living, you'll earn an honest dollar and you'll feel so much better about yourself.
His sister is the same age as me 27. But I hear you...I blame the crack problem of the 70s and 80s for some of my generation turning out so messed up

Figured I pass the buck since I watched a few episodes of American Gangster on tv and the First 48 on A&E
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 01:18 PM

146 posts, read 350,187 times
Section 8 has allowed me the chance to get out of the backwards hicktown I lived in, move up North, and hopefully get a decent-paying job before joining a university. Rents are exorbitant in any part of the country that has a decent job market.

I worked very, very hard for months earning $5.50 an hour and sold my blood so that I could have food to eat at least 100 times. The town I lived in has a very high cost of living and was in a state with the most regressive tax structure in the country.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:32 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,574,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphKNS View Post
Section 8 has allowed me the chance to get out of the backwards hicktown I lived in, move up North, and hopefully get a decent-paying job before joining a university. Rents are exorbitant in any part of the country that has a decent job market.

I worked very, very hard for months earning $5.50 an hour and sold my blood so that I could have food to eat at least 100 times. The town I lived in has a very high cost of living and was in a state with the most regressive tax structure in the country.

LOL, I've done that from time to time to, except it wasn't blood it was the plasma at a place called plasmacare.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
I don't think anyone on here is trying to attack you but I think the general census is none of us commenting here grew up with a silver spoon in their mouth. My mom was a single mother even though she married my father let's just say for the majority of my life she was the main and sole bread winner and not only that she took custody of my two out of control cousins because their parents were out of it. She raised four children two of which weren't her own. She never received a dime of assistance from anyone. One memory I have is of my brothers bday. We had no money whatsoever so the four of us pooled our change together and went to the corner store and bought one of those long 50 cent honeybuns or cake thingys. My cousin then went to get my brother from playing outside and had him come inside for his "surprise". I still remember the big smile on his face when he walked through the door and the four of us burst out singing Happy Birthday complete with a birthday candle brightly lit on the honeybun. We all ate that honeybun like it was the best "birthday cake" ever. Now if that's not poor and struggling I don't know what is. Like I said it all depends on the person. My mom struggled to make ends meet and each time we moved, we moved to a better apartment and a better area. I had no idea she was saving up for a house until she told me she had saved up $10k for her downpayment. She didn't stay at a dead end job where the most she could make was a low 5 figure salary. Once she got the experience she needed and the recommendations, she moved on to her next career opportunity. Complacency builds laziness in my opinion. My question is how long ago did you apply for Section 8 because I know someone who had been on the waiting list for 8 years, unfortunately by the time her name came up on the list she was incarcerated. That list is a mile and a half long and whenever they open it up people are lined up around the corner waiting to sign up. Maybe it's a Jersey thing. Anyway I hope you get yourself in a better situation. I havent read or heard of any success stories to where the person actually let the Section 8 office know that they no longer needed the assistance, but hey you may be the first. Also I do not view myself as middle or upper class. Sometimes I have extra money to shop with and look pretty, but most of the time I am struggling and balancing my checkbook like a pro just to keep my luxuries like cable, cell, car.....

No, it's not just a Jersey thing it is a national problem. Our section 8 office here for the county(Allegheny) has not been even accepting applications for at least 5 years now, and the city of Pittsburgh office hasn't been for even longer than that. I was on the list for over 4 years. It was delayed even longer after hurricane Katrina, we had a lot of people from New Orleans that came up here, and I'm happy that our housing authority helped those displaced families.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
LOL, I've done that from time to time to, except it wasn't blood it was the plasma at a place called plasmacare.
Yeah, it was plasma in my case too; I just sometimes think of it as blood but of course it is only the liquid part of blood. You can't give money for whole blood in the U.S.; they believe it increases the risk of those carrying bloodborne diseases donating (whole blood is more likely to carry diseases than plasma).

I think donating plasma is a good thing to do, and plasma donation centers help poor people, burn victims, and hemophiliacs alike. But for me it was basically half my income because I worked for minimum wage; therefore I was doing it almost 7 or 8 times a month, and it started to become a big drain on my strength and stamina (I worked as a baker and it was pretty labor-intensive stuff).

Old 08-28-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it was plasma in my case too; I just sometimes think of it as blood but of course it is only the liquid part of blood. You can't give money for whole blood in the U.S.; they believe it increases the risk of those carrying bloodborne diseases donating (whole blood is more likely to carry diseases than plasma).

I think donating plasma is a good thing to do, and plasma donation centers help poor people, burn victims, and hemophiliacs alike. But for me it was basically half my income because I worked for minimum wage; therefore I was doing it almost 7 or 8 times a month, and it started to become a big drain on my strength and stamina (I worked as a baker and it was pretty labor-intensive stuff).

I donate plasma both for money and to help people. My friends daughter died a few years back, and for the weeks they where keeping her alive they were using plasma. I use to donate just for money until I seen first hand how they use it. I said to myself that I will try to keep donating plasma even long after I need the money.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
I donate plasma both for money and to help people. My friends daughter died a few years back, and for the weeks they where keeping her alive they were using plasma. I use to donate just for money until I seen first hand how they use it. I said to myself that I will try to keep donating plasma even long after I need the money.
I've seen many pics of burn victims too who were helped by plasma. If I could find a donation center around where I lived (northern Massachusetts) I'd be doing it in a heartbeat. I'm sorry about your friend's daughter. My grandfather recently had a heart attack and will be passing away soon (I don't like to say this, but it would be a blessing if he did so--he's comatose and brain-dead, and would not want to be kept alive in that state); he was given a blood transfusion, and if it wouldn't interfere with donating plasma I'd donate whole blood too. But after a donation of whole blood, you have to wait eight weeks to donate plasma.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
I've seen many pics of burn victims too who were helped by plasma. If I could find a donation center around where I lived (northern Massachusetts) I'd be doing it in a heartbeat. I'm sorry about your friend's daughter. My grandfather recently had a heart attack and will be passing away soon (I don't like to say this, but it would be a blessing if he did so--he's comatose and brain-dead, and would not want to be kept alive in that state); he was given a blood transfusion, and if it wouldn't interfere with donating plasma I'd donate whole blood too. But after a donation of whole blood, you have to wait eight weeks to donate plasma.

I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. It's crazy how much we take for granted until someone we love is in a serious situation.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:31 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,625,200 times
Quote:

So the 100 times you sold your blood, time getting there and back, your telling me you couldn't find a job in a burger king or mcdonalds.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
So the 100 times you sold your blood, time getting there and back, your telling me you couldn't find a job in a burger king or mcdonalds.

He said he was working as well as donating plasma. If he worked at Burger King or McDonalds that is about how much he would have been making. Minimal wage didn't raise up here until the beginning of this year, it was $5.15 before so you would have to get a raise to be making over $6.00 at a fast food place. I would guess minimal wage where he was located probably was similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey