Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 11:00 AM

22 posts, read 133,552 times

Advertisements

In North /East Brunswick area, will it be wise to make an offer asking for 15% less on the condo / townhouse published price tag? Whats the current rate in NJ?

regards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 11:14 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
You can ask for whatever you want- there's no guarantee you'll get it though. If the property is priced right and the people don't need to sell that badly, they'll tell you to get bent. If it's overpriced and they don't need to sell badly, they'll still tell you to get bent. If it's overpriced and they need to get out (and can afford to take the hit) they may take your offer. You've got nothing to lose, but don't get your hopes up.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:20 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,667,253 times
Just remember - you can make more offers than you can buy homes.

Don't get too attached to any particular property unless you're willing to pay what they want - you may not get it at all.

If money is the driving factor, and you have the time, take your time and do your homework. 10-15% isn't such a dramatic difference considering the market that a reasonable seller would want to attack you, but they may feel that way anyway. If you're working with an agent, ask your agent for comparable *sold* properties from the past 3 months (preferably), 6 months if there aren't any.

Remember also that negotiations don't end until closing. Get a home inspection, even for a condo. If there is work that needs to be done that you weren't specifically made aware of, ask for it to be done, to be given to you as a seller's concession of closing costs, or whatever means your lawyer suggests.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:23 AM

28 posts, read 37,877 times
Good advice you guys. When i bought my house i started at a LOW number and negotiated from there

Old 01-15-2008, 03:24 PM

38 posts, read 266,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDChase View Post
Good advice you guys. When i bought my house i started at a LOW number and negotiated from there
We did as well; what we didn't realize was that the owner had just dropped the price for a second time right before we made an offer. (which is why this house wasn't showing up when we were doing searches! It was out of our price range until the second drop!) In any case, it's not like they told us to never bid again when we made an offer lower than their just recently dropped price; they simply said No. We came back with a better offer (still a bit below the asking), and they accepted it.

So there is no harm in starting low to see where it gets you...

Old 01-15-2008, 03:31 PM

119 posts, read 552,656 times
We are planning to offer 10% below any asking price. Its a buyer's market and you can always go up.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:08 PM

13 posts, read 58,667 times
Go even lower then that... why not try %20?

It's a negotiation after all, isn't it?

Old 01-15-2008, 05:12 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,667,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeesJetsFan View Post
Go even lower then that... why not try %20?

It's a negotiation after all, isn't it?
You can throw out any percentage you'd like - after all, the seller can start with any price they'd like.

Which is why you need comps.

Look at what has sold (and for how much), whats on the market (and how much), how much whats on the market has changed in price over recent months, and you have a good indicator as to where your offer should be.

Of course, always start a little lower than what you'll find reasonable - the seller will come back with something higher than reasonable anyway (if they are aware enough of the market conditions to find it a good starting point for negotiations).

How much less you go is up to you. I could offer 99% under asking all day long - doesn't mean I'll get it.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:13 PM

13 posts, read 58,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
You can throw out any percentage you'd like - after all, the seller can start with any price they'd like.

Which is why you need comps.

Look at what has sold (and for how much), whats on the market (and how much), how much whats on the market has changed in price over recent months, and you have a good indicator as to where your offer should be.

Of course, always start a little lower than what you'll find reasonable - the seller will come back with something higher than reasonable anyway (if they are aware enough of the market conditions to find it a good starting point for negotiations).

How much less you go is up to you. I could offer 99% under asking all day long - doesn't mean I'll get it.
True, in this market I would also advise looking for a short sale. That's where the really good deals are.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:43 AM

10 posts, read 47,036 times
Go for it. Two years ago, I offered 13% below the already-reduced list price and eventually settled at 7% below. The sellers were getting divorced and were ready to move on. After living there 15 years, they still split a huge profit.

If your seller bought recently and overpaid, they may not have much wiggle room. In that case, make an offer and move on. I'm really happy now that I didn't get the first place I bid on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey