Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 11:07 AM

11 posts, read 15,840 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Metro NYC in June and my office will be based in downtown NYC, but I will need to get to other boroughs pretty regularly both from the office and from home.

I also have a five year old child who really wants to start learning a foreign language in kindergarten next year.

I need to cap our rental expenses to $1500/mo (likely in a co-housing share) and ... here's the kicker ... I'd like to have no more than 45 minutes on the train to downtown.

So far, I've been focusing on NJ but recently learned that NJ income taxes are high and the NJ commuter options are spendy (I already have to pay for a monthly MetroCard). I've been interested in Fort Lee and Hoboken because I'd like to bike to work some times (just a perfect world perk, not a requirement) and we love Asian food (we are black). I've also been interested in Bloomfield because we have family there. But if the cost of living in NJ will end up being comparable to our cost of living in a share in NYC, once the taxes and transit costs are factored in, then I wonder if it is just better for us to live in NYC.

So, dear Forum, where would you recommend we live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 11:11 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,869,313 times
If you can make NYC work on $1500 a month you should stay there. Just factoring in your Metrocard with NJT is going to drive your budget up. When I lived near there I didn't have a Metrocard, but since you need to run out to the other boros you have no choice.

Your big trouble is going to be schools, that's where NYC can go awry. But I think you'd be better off sticking with it for a few more years or looking into Queens or Brooklyn.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:25 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,279,232 times
As for NYC schools, your options will open up quite a bit if your child takes the Gifted and Talented tests and scores at a 95% or above. The DOE website has info about the test, as well as practice tests. The test has already been administered for the next school year (it happens in Jan and Feb); not sure if it's made available at this point in the year for kids coming from out-of-state, but it might be worth looking into. Success Academy Charter schools also have several locations, and you don't have to live in their zones to be considered.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:58 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
I don't get the $1500 /co-housing share. You mean you want a roommate(s) with whom you and your child could share an apartment?

You might want to consider putting your own ad on Craiglist for that--might find someone else in a similar situation.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:59 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
If you can make NYC work on $1500 a month you should stay there. Just factoring in your Metrocard with NJT is going to drive your budget up. When I lived near there I didn't have a Metrocard, but since you need to run out to the other boros you have no choice.

Your big trouble is going to be schools, that's where NYC can go awry. But I think you'd be better off sticking with it for a few more years or looking into Queens or Brooklyn.
I don't think the OP currently lives in NYC but rather is moving there. Or here. But the job is in NYC.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:25 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,869,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't think the OP currently lives in NYC but rather is moving there. Or here. But the job is in NYC.
Got it, I see that now.

They're probably going to have to up their budget then, I thought they had a $1,500 a month place already.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:29 PM

516 posts, read 1,005,882 times
OP, do you already have a $1500 roommate situation lined up in the city, because I think that's going to be hard to find with a child. Some landlords are more strict about occupancy rules when kids are involved.

If you want to be close to downtown NYC but need cheap housing for you and little one, I think Harrison is the way to go. Find a 1-2 bed rental within walking distance to the PATH station and a monthly PATH card is $89 that can get you as far up as 33rd and as south as WTC. From there you can take the subway as needed (may be cheaper without buying a monthly card, depending how many trips you need).

Old 04-15-2015, 12:31 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
"So far, I've been focusing on NJ but recently learned that NJ income taxes are high"

NY (and NYC) income taxes are higher than NJ.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:41 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,428,453 times
Bloomfield train ride to midtown NYC itself is like 35 min, but trains always run late. Monthly train ticket cost around $150.

To get to downtown you take the train to Hoboken and then switch to PATH, PATH takes about 10-15 min.

Bloomfield is mixed race, blue color type of a town. I don't know about the quality of schools, but you can find where to ride around on a bicycle in this area. There are major bike trails with in 15 min car ride from here. Watssesing park is good for jugging or playing sports, but a poor bicycle trail.

There is a number of Chinese take-out places in Bloomfield, but I prefer my Asian food to come from places with a significant Asian communities. And those places are with in a 15 min drive, but don't deliver to Bloomfield. There was that Vietnamese soup place just 10 min ride. I keep meaning to try the Tai place in Bloomfield.

NJ income taxes are less then NY income taxes, so you pay NY income taxes and collect a refund from NJ. The cost of commute can be done with pre tax dollars. There are programs, your employer will tell you more.

It is reasonable to rent out 1 bedroom for $1500 or 2 bedrooms for around $1800, in Bloomfield. Add another $100 in Cable bills, since most of the rentals here include electric, gas and water. If you find an apartment in walking distance from the train station it will cost what I listed, otherwise the apartment will cost a $100 less, but you will need a parking permit which also costs something.

In Summation I conclude:
Bloomfield is awesome because it's a mixed race town, rent 1500-1800, commute 150-200 (pre-tax), utilities 100-200.
And income taxes in NJ are lower then in NYC.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:43 PM

220 posts, read 379,548 times
Commute (whether by car, train or bus) from NJ to the New York outer boroughs can be a real pain in the butt. If OP is going to be doing that on a regular basis, NJ might not be the best choice.

Maybe take a look at Queens (ie. Long Island City, Astoria), or Brooklyn as alternative options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey