U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2015, 01:33 PM

2 posts, read 1,940 times

Advertisements

I've been at my job for 18 years and I'm leaving the end of June to move out of state. The reason
For the move is since my husband is on permanent disability, we can't afford
To live in NJ anymore. All my family and support is in MN. The cost of living
Is much lower as in NJ. I'm wondering if I will be able to collect disability because I'm quitting?
Is it up to the discretion of the employer? Should I explain my situation to my boss or HR ahead of time? They already know I'm moving in a fee months, I've been up front with them about it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 02:11 PM

2,407 posts, read 2,858,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla Ranucci View Post
I've been at my job for 18 years and I'm leaving the end of June to move out of state. The reason
For the move is since my husband is on permanent disability, we can't afford
To live in NJ anymore. All my family and support is in MN. The cost of living
Is much lower as in NJ. I'm wondering if I will be able to collect disability because I'm quitting?
Is it up to the discretion of the employer? Should I explain my situation to my boss or HR ahead of time? They already know I'm moving in a fee months, I've been up front with them about it.
Disability and unemployment are two different things. If you are not disabled, you cannot collect disability. As to unemployment, you have to get laid off. Not quit, not get fired for cause. Even if you are able to collect unemployment, you need to show you are actively looking for employment. As to the change in state, you'd have to check with NJ Labor department if you can collect if you move to another state, but it doesn't look like you would qualify unless you get your current employer to lay you off. Be advised that employers are given an experience rating by the state so when they have a layoff, their rating goes up and they pay a higher percentage of their payroll in unemployment tax.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:21 PM

2 posts, read 1,940 times
My husband is on permanent disability and we are moving due to hardship, can afford jersey anymore. I read some reasons you can get unemployment if quitting your job but my case a little different. Main reasons why we are moving is A. Can't afford to live in Nj with main bread winner is disabled now. B. my family lives there so I will get help with husband and just support in general.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:36 PM

2,407 posts, read 2,858,952 times
I am a small business owner and I don't know of any reason you can get unemployment if you quit. Were you reading these reasons you cited above on the NJ Labor site or on C-D?

Old 04-19-2015, 02:37 PM

223 posts, read 298,781 times
This thread makes no sense. Why should you get unemployment if you're voluntarily quitting your job to move out of state? It doesn't work like that. You're only entitled to unemployment if you get laid off from your job and are actively seeking new work, as mentioned above.

You're also not entitled to disability if you're not disabled.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:43 PM

2,161 posts, read 4,649,009 times
If you qualify for unemployment, moving to a different state does not make a difference...you collect unemployment from the state in which you worked and paid taxes.

The issue here is not the move...it's that you are voluntarily resigning from the job.

Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Requirements for Payment<br>Quit :

Quote:
If you voluntarily quit your job without "good cause connected with the work," or if you voluntarily retire, you may be disqualified for benefits. "Good cause connected with the work," means that your reason for leaving must be directly related to your job and be so compelling that you had no choice but to leave the job. For example, a person quits work to move out of the area. While this is a good personal reason to quit, the reason for quitting is not connected with the work and the person would be disqualified.

There are exceptions to this disqualification. One exception may apply when the separation was related to or due to domestic violence. Another exception may apply when a spouse or civil union partner of an active military member leaves work to move with the military member who is transferred outside of the state.

If you quit your job, or if you voluntarily retire, you will be scheduled for a claims examiner interview. The examiner may request certain documentation as supporting evidence of your separation. The examiner will determine if you are entitled to benefits based on unemployment insurance laws and regulations.

To remove a disqualification for voluntary leaving, you must return to work for at least 8 weeks, earn at least 10 times your weekly benefit rate, and then become unemployed through no fault of your own. The new work must be in employment covered under the unemployment compensation law.
Your husband being on perm. disability is not a qualifying hardship excuse...if anything, it will hurt your cause, I would think, because you at least have that as a source of income, so you would have to do extra convincing that you are having problems making ends meet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: