U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2015, 03:05 PM

9 posts, read 10,708 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I recently discovered this forum and I have been reading and reading! I saw a lot of positive and negative things about New Jersey which make me reconsider a move.

I am a young professional, 25 year old female, single, no kids. I am currently based in the Midwest in a med size city. I am getting tired of the midwest, the sheltered mind and lack of culture, and have been for a while. I have lived here 9 years but I have been back in Europe on and off. I like the attitude over there and would like to be a tad bit closer even if I am still in the U.S. I did hear people in the NE are definitely more straighforward and not as friendly as the good old midwesterners. I am not sure if that would be for sure a bad thing though for me..

I am mostly concerned about driving since traffic here is probably NOTHING compared to NJ. Is it easy to get used to? Do you think moving to NJ after a job offer is a good idea if you are currently stuck comfortably in the Midwest? Cost of living is definitely different. I will make enough to live okay on the East Coast but definitely more opportunities to save, and get more bang for your buck in the Midwest.. I am just looking for various opinions before I make a big decision that I might or might not regret. I do realize it's the Internet and everything needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Thank you in advance!

Where are you coming from? - Midwest, but I am Eastern European
Why are you moving? - Work + New environment
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? - North NJ

Will you buy or rent? - rent
What is your budget ? - Not established yet

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? - Nope, just me

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in - young crowd - 20-40 y/o

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)
Charming, urbanish, good nightlife

Last edited by sisi1122; 04-19-2015 at 03:14 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 04:42 PM

191 posts, read 346,848 times
The first thing I would suggest is to figure out your job situation as far as how easy it would be to snag a job , what your making to base your budget for cost of living and where your working as far as commuting goes.As far as cost of living , apartments start around a grand a month even in the worst neighborhoods,as far as fun towns, their few and far between for people in their 20s .Nj government loves taxing people with absurd laws and a. gross amount of cops to enforce them, so allowing the kinds of towns you d probably enjoy would be hard to find.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:25 AM

324 posts, read 514,767 times
What town is the job in? Budget is important. Are you looking for a 1BR?

Traffic really depends on the direction of your commute. And if you live close to your office, it's not much of a concern anyway.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:19 PM

538 posts, read 611,133 times
Where the job is would be the most important missing piece of data. The commuting infrastructure is geared towards getting people to NYC, and the roads are all pretty congested, so you won't want to live too far from your work.

And people here are very friendly, they're just less prone to interrupt you to show it. As far as negativity - this IS the Internet. That's sort of what people do on it.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:09 PM

9 posts, read 10,708 times
I will be working in Parsippany. It sucks to be this far away from the city.. But at least I won't be as far from NYC as the Midwest.
Yes, I am looking at studio/1 BR. I am not too picky really. I used to live in a shoebox in the Netherlands..

Old 04-20-2015, 05:39 PM

324 posts, read 514,767 times
Morristown is your best option. If you can't find a place in budget within walking distance to the green, you could check out Parsippany. There are a lot of apartment complexes there, and they're relatively inexpensive.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:59 PM

5,699 posts, read 15,210,240 times
Parsippany is not that far from the city actually. Most everywhere you go from the city is like an hour due to the usual hassles of NY City and most of the day Parsippany is about an hour. We all lived around Parsippany in our younger days, no problem. You can get to most any other towns fairly easy too.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:47 PM

472 posts, read 725,540 times
Try Morristown or Parsippany.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:13 PM

4 posts, read 3,725 times
As far as traffic is concerned, it is generally different driving in NJ. If you've had the chance to drive in the larger cities, such as Chicago, Indianapolis, or St. Louis, you've already had a taste of what to expect. It is indeed easy to get used to, but distances lose their relation with time. In the more populated areas and during rush hours, 3 miles can easily take 30-40 minutes to traverse. However, I believe Parsipanny does not reach that extreme and traffic is acceptable. However, as you drive from one part of the state to another on the highway, you do always see more cars on the road. If you have not seen congested traffic moving at high speeds, it might seem overwhelming at first. But this also is relatively easy to get used to.

Also, it is worth mentioning that NJ is one of the few states (I believe Oregon is the only other) that does not have self serve gas stations. There is always an attendant, and you risk a fine if you serve yourself. I once drove back into the state and had forgotten the law. I served myself and the attendant gave me a puzzled look, but left me alone, so it seems the fines are mainly a deterrent. Finally, gas is generally inexpensive and usually ranks among the cheapest in the nation. Most gas stations provide a 10 cent per gallon discount for using cash instead of credit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: