Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2008, 08:37 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,963,402 times

Advertisements

Not that this is an unusual story, as I actually have known this could happen for a long time and have heard several other reports like this one. Last June 2007 my nephew was up at Saw Mill Lake in Colesville and he parked his Toyota Prius near the lake, however, apparently failed to secure his hand brake and his car rolled into the pond. He had to call a towing service that required a 12000 pound winch to pull the car out of the lake. That was really not so bad compared to the fines he received from State Park Rangers which after the hearing totaled no less than $25,000.00.

Apparently his Toyota Prius Battery when it hit the water Electrocuted more than enough fish in its proximity to warrant the fine! Maybe Toyota needs to post a warning regarding the potential environmental hazards if the Prius rolls into a water. My nephew truly believes if he was in the car when it rolled in the pond, that he would not be alive to pay the fine!
[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 09:12 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometVoyager View Post
Not that this is an unusual story, as I actually have known this could happen for a long time and have heard several other reports like this one. Last June 2007 my nephew was up at Saw Mill Lake in Colesville and he parked his Toyota Prius near the lake, however, apparently failed to secure his hand brake and his car rolled into the pond. He had to call a towing service that required a 12000 pound winch to pull the car out of the lake. That was really not so bad compared to the fines he received from State Park Rangers which after the hearing totaled no less than $25,000.00.

Apparently his Toyota Prius Battery when it hit the water Electrocuted more than enough fish in its proximity to warrant the fine! Maybe Toyota needs to post a warning regarding the potential environmental hazards if the Prius rolls into a water. My nephew truly believes if he was in the car when it rolled in the pond, that he would not be alive to pay the fine!
[/SIZE]
Oh come on. His battery killed fish? An electro-shocker used by Fisheries Biologists uses a voltage path from 100-200 volts which basicly shock/stun fish for 3-5 seconds. It creates an involuntary muscular response that causes them to swim towards the anodes. Again it lasts 3-5 seconds and then they peacefully and safely swim away.

So you are telling us a car battery killed scores of fish with 12 volts?

That $25,000 fine was for polluting a fresh water lake. It was imposed by the DEP or whatever your state calls it. It had nothing to do with fish.

This happened in June. What also likely happened is the beach had to be closed and the park lost lots of entry revenue.

Whatever happened $25,000 seems more punitive then just an simple fine for an accident.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:28 PM

Default Prius Battery Voltage

I failed to mention that his car was running and apparently according to Toyota, the Hybrid Charger shorted thus releasing significant voltage into the water. The fine was for trespassing, hazardous waste disposal into a fresh water body and also did include the killing of natural wildlife.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:48 AM

50 posts, read 215,797 times
Thats pretty funny...what kind of moron lets his car roll into a lake?

Old 01-17-2008, 10:00 AM

201 posts, read 1,012,847 times
It sounds like an urban legend almost.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:41 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,978,149 times
I checked snopes-this hasn't made it there yet, but I'm sure it will. I call B.S. on this one. I think there's another e-mail forward running around about how a Hummer H2 is really more environmentally friendly than a Prius simply because of the nickel in it's batteries. I vaguely remember something about there being a "dead zone" 100 miles in diameter where nothing grows around the plant that smelts the nickel for the batteries... I don't buy it, or this. Also, before you accuse me of being a greenie whacko who wants us all to ride bicycles, check my prior posts complaining about the high cost of diesel fuel.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:48 PM

Default Not a Legend

Also, before you accuse me of being a greenie whacko who wants us all to ride bicycles, check my prior posts complaining about the high cost of diesel fuel.[/quote]

No need to get all worked up Badfish740, and I am not one to place labels upon others. But I have a 2006 Toyota Prius Styles myself and I am still mostly pleased, as I only use it for local trips because it does not have the ride my GMC has nor does it really get more than 42 mpg on the turnpike. This is a real life incident and it still is not clear how the fish died, as the car only rolled in the pond but afterwards. Toyota thinks the high voltage management computer shorted out.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
I checked snopes-this hasn't made it there yet, but I'm sure it will. I call B.S. on this one. I think there's another e-mail forward running around about how a Hummer H2 is really more environmentally friendly than a Prius simply because of the nickel in it's batteries. I vaguely remember something about there being a "dead zone" 100 miles in diameter where nothing grows around the plant that smelts the nickel for the batteries... I don't buy it, or this. Also, before you accuse me of being a greenie whacko who wants us all to ride bicycles, check my prior posts complaining about the high cost of diesel fuel.
Badfish, just wanted to give you the heads up regarding the Toyota Prius Emergency Response Manual. This is in PDF and there is also a section regarding the High Voltage safety as well as what you should do if the Toyota Prius becomes Submerged in Water.
[SIZE=-1]media.eaglefirecompany.org/pdf/erg/1stprius.pdf

Moderator, you may want to move this post to Automotive! Thanks!
[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey