Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 12:38 AM

4 posts, read 3,053 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone !

I'm Q ! I just recently accepted a job offer in the NYC / NJ area and will have to relocate to the area fast !!!!! I have a location in Woodbridge, NJ and another in West Nyack, NY that I am in charge of. Now the two stores are an hour apart. My job will be paying for all traveling as far as train/bus/ferry/uber to get to work so that's how I will be traveling 99.9% of the time. The issue is my girlfriend will be moving with me and will work in Manhattan and she does not drive so I have to account for her as well. I'm looking for a place that we both can utilize the public transportation and be in a reasonable, safe, place to commute to both of our jobs. Any recommendations are far so locations and neighborhoods whether in NJ or NYC ? Also the information on how the public transportation system works ? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME !!!!

Thank You !!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 11:51 AM

3,021 posts, read 5,849,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QES4152 View Post
Hi everyone !

I'm Q ! I just recently accepted a job offer in the NYC / NJ area and will have to relocate to the area fast !!!!! I have a location in Woodbridge, NJ and another in West Nyack, NY that I am in charge of. Now the two stores are an hour apart. My job will be paying for all traveling as far as train/bus/ferry/uber to get to work so that's how I will be traveling 99.9% of the time. The issue is my girlfriend will be moving with me and will work in Manhattan and she does not drive so I have to account for her as well. I'm looking for a place that we both can utilize the public transportation and be in a reasonable, safe, place to commute to both of our jobs. Any recommendations are far so locations and neighborhoods whether in NJ or NYC ? Also the information on how the public transportation system works ? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME !!!!

Thank You !!!!!!!

It is very difficult to live in NJ if you don't drive. There may be a few places that you can survive without driving, but I can't recommend it.

Where in Manhattan does your gf work? Uptown, downtown? Does she want to come into Penn Station, Port Authority, WTC?

Check out NJ Transit New Jersey Transit - Home Especially their trip planner feature:
New Jersey Transit

See if it's possible to get from one of your stores to another. Also, for your gf, see what train lines go into Newark or Hoboken or NY Penn Station.

From Newark & Hoboken there's transfer to PATH trains (if one of the PATH stops is better for her than WTC or PENN) PATH - The Port Authority of NY & NJ

Also check out Coach Suburban buses: Coach USA

Keep in mind that the odds of living walking distance to an NJ Transit station in NJ is low. You have to factor in how you both will get to the train station. Is there a local NJ Transit bus? Many NJ Transit stations have parking lots which may have years long waiting lists.

Lots to research & consider.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:57 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,864,923 times
Does your firm have someone that helps advise people who are relocating?

How about a budget? That'll be the biggest determination in where you end up living.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:21 PM

973 posts, read 1,409,624 times
Quote:
Hi everyone !

Thank You !!!!!!!
The area between Woodbridge and West Nyack is huge so its hard to pin down a place where you and her can live. Your housing budget, whether you will be buying or renting, whether or not you want a house, apartment or condo - these are all factors that can help people provide you with some good options.

Your post is unclear as to whether or not you will have a car. If there will be no car between the two of you than you will likely be limited to relatively urban areas where you can walk to amenities and walk to a bus or train stop for your girlfriend to get to and from the City.

Also, there will not be any reasonable public transportation into and out of West Nyack. For your commute to your West Nyack office you will absolutely need a car, or count on your employer to pay an arm and a leg for a car service every day. The same is probably true for Woodbridge. Commuting is largely focused on getting into and out of Manhattan during normal commuting hours. Very little (and probably nothing) is available for suburb-to-suburb commuting.

Old 03-30-2016, 02:00 PM

Thank you all for the responses. I will not get much help with relocating from my employer. I do have a car myself and driving to either location when I have to or when it's convenient is something I can do. Some days I probably will have to drive to a location or the other and that wouldn't be a problem. Right now from the sound of things it looks like West Nyack. I also would work from 11-7 Wednesday - Sunday so I'd be able to drop my gf at the train or the bus if need be. She hasn't been given a specific location as of yet, the only part of Manhattan they told her she might be at is Harold Square. Just getting to Manhattan right now may be the bigger focal point. I'm looking for an apartment or a condo to rent with a budget of $1300-$1700. I'm doing all of this mainly so she can be able to get to the city in about an hr or less and still allow me to get to either location whether train or car. I will have a pass for the train and a uber monthly allowance of $200-$300. Thank you so much again for the help. I need it all and would be gracious for more.

Last edited by QES4152; 03-30-2016 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: Had to add somethings.

Old 03-30-2016, 02:59 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,864,923 times
Your budget is possible, but not for anything larger than a 2BR and probably not new construction.

Does your budget take her transportation costs to Herald Square into account? That'll be $2-300 as well, depending on location.

With West Nyack I think you might want to look northward, but Herald Square means you can't go too far, maybe check out East Rutherford or something else off the Bergen Line.

Old 03-30-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Thank you all for the responses. I will not get much help with relocating from my employer. I do have a car myself and driving to either location when I have to or when it's convenient is something I can do. Some days I probably will have to drive to a location or the other and that wouldn't be a problem. Right now from the sound of things it looks like West Nyack. I also would work from 11-7 Wednesday - Sunday so I'd be able to drop my gf at the train or the bus if need be. She hasn't been given a specific location as of yet, the only part of Manhattan they told her she might be at is Harold Square. Just getting to Manhattan right now may be the bigger focal point. I'm looking for an apartment or a condo to rent with a budget of $1300-$1700. I'm doing all of this mainly so she can be able to get to the city in about an hr or less and still allow me to get to either location whether train or car. I will have a pass for the train and a uber monthly allowance of $200-$300. Thank you so much again for the help. I need it all and would be gracious for more.

If gf is working in Herald Square than coming into Penn Station will be perfect for her. You can see which lines go into Penn at www.njtransit.com

Which store are you spending most of your time? If Woodbridge than maybe look for an apt. in Woodbridge.

Even if you can take your gf to the train in the morning, also think about how she'll get from the train station to home in the evening. Is it walkable? Is there a bus?

Remember to budget for utilities & some apartment complexes do not offer free parking. Be sure to ask about parking & do you have to pay a monthly fee for a spot.

The Uber budget from your company isn't very large. Assuming that you work 5 days per week & $300 divided by approx. 20 working days a month, that gives you $15. per working day for Uber.

This site will estimate your Uber ride.
https://www.uber.com/cities/new-jersey/
I haven't used it recently, but when I did I found it reasonably accurate. I did an estimate of Uber X (cheapest Uber option) from Woodbridge to W. Nyack & it's between $53. & $71.

Old 03-30-2016, 05:10 PM

Just looked at Coach bus lines.
Rockland Coaches | Commuter Routes

There is a bus route between W. Nyack & a few towns in Bergen County, NJ. Englewood, Leonia, a few others. So, I guess you might want to consider that option also. Check the site to see all the towns & how often the buses run.

They also have buses going to/from Port Authority in Manhattan & W. Nyack.

My guess is that you'll end up driving your own car between your 2 stores.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:03 AM

973 posts, read 1,409,624 times
You will almost certainly find that using your car to get you to and from work (and using during work) is the way to go. I would ask your employer if your Uber/train allowance can be funneled back into paid compensation, or maybe given to you as a stipend for gas/tolls/insurance. You will drive yourself crazy going back and forth between where you choose to live and West Nyack/Woodbridge in anything other than your own car. Especially at the hours you will be working.

Your hours are nice for commuting by car. You can live pretty much anywhere west of the hudson and do fine. Your second post is unclear - it seems to imply that you will mostly or only be going to the West Nyack location. If this is true, than pick a town on the Pascack Valley line. In these towns, much of the rental stock will be within walking distance of the train stop. Your gf will take the Pascack Valley Line to Secaucus and switch trains there to get into Penn Station. If she can take an express train her commute will be quicker.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:40 AM

I will be at each location 2-3 days a week alternating between the two, and won't have to ever travel to both the same day. Asking them to redo my traveling comp might be better off for me but it's not guranteed. I've been doing my research thanks to you all and it seems like it's just easier to get to Woodbridge by train than West Nyack so I might just end up driving to the West Nyack location and take the train to Woodbridge. The PATH and NJT have been difficult for me to grasp with the commuter trains and what not, I haven't been able to understand it fully but I'm doing more reading on that. I probably should call them both. So am I looking for areas that have commuter rails close by or direct access to PATH and NJT ? It's my understanding that the PATH is the only train to run 24hrs to NYC and there are only 3 terminal points that you can get on at. Is this true ? Thank you all again ����
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey