Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 02:56 PM

11,335 posts, read 16,683,984 times

Advertisements

Hanging out on the front porch and receiving welfare for not working is an entitlement.

Having the govt give me back what I paid into Social Security is NOT an entltlement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 03:43 PM

19,103 posts, read 25,295,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Hanging out on the front porch and receiving welfare for not working is an entitlement.

Having the govt give me back what I paid into Social Security is NOT an entltlement.
Exactly!
I am astounded that so many people cannot perceive the difference.

Old 04-30-2015, 04:34 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,624,757 times
Is the pension on entitlement? It operates the same way social security does- both the employee and employer contribute. In fact the employee contributes more to the pension than to social security. Social security also provides other benefits the pension does not.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:42 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,249,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
Is the pension on entitlement? It operates the same way social security does- both the employee and employer contribute. In fact the employee contributes more to the pension than to social security. Social security also provides other benefits the pension does not.
Quote:
The Social Security tax rate is 12.4 percent of pay, with 6.2 percent paid by the worker and 6.2 percent paid by the employer.
2014 Social Security Questions Answered by Expert - AARP

Yes, SS is an even pay in by both. Seems to be the same with medicare.

I don't know how pensions work - never had a job that had an option to contribute to a pension. Do you HAVE to contribute to a pension fund?

Old 04-30-2015, 06:59 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,624,757 times
NJ employees contribute 7% to the pension,

Old 04-30-2015, 07:12 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,808,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Well, this is certainly a watershed moment, as you had previously defended everything that our esteemed governor did up until this point.

Congratulations on finally coming to your senses regarding this crass, low-down creep's contempt for anyone other than the 1% that he represents.

Unlike Obamabots like you, some people actually think critically and might just [gasp!] change their minds regarding a politicians as their views are revealed.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:12 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,249,335 times
Well this guy is not a fan of Fox News or the "Tea Party". But this is what he has to say about SS being called an "Entitlement Program":

Quote:
Social Security is an entitlement in not only the literal but also the legal sense of the term. Social Security is Title II of the Social Security Act. Medicare is Title XVIII — and other programs make up other titles of the Social Security law. So that's where the root word "title" comes from.

Once you meet all the qualifications for Social Security benefits (having enough work credits, being the right age, etc.) then you are considered eligible for benefits. But when you actually file a claim for benefits and get approved, you are legally entitled to those benefits.

So that is what makes Social Security an entitlement program. And for that matter, any other government program for which you have to meet certain eligibility criteria and then sign an application and get approved for benefits is also an entitlement program.
Social Security Is an Entitlement by Tom Margenau on Creators.com - A Syndicate Of Talent

Look, I agree. If I pay in to a "system" that I am forced to pay in to and with the promise that it will come back to me in spades? Of course I'd want my piece of the pie. Who wouldn't?

What I found amusing is that folks are more upset that Christie used the word "entitlement" rather than when he said something along the lines of "If you're making $200K per year in your retirement years, do you really need that SS coming in or can you give it up for the good of others?"

Quote:
In 1950, for instance, there were 16 workers supporting every retiree. By 2011, there were just over three. By around 2030, it will be down to just two.
How is this program supposed to maintain itself?

I had no idea he erred on the side of giving up what is yours so others can live above poverty level.

Christie wants Social Security as emergency poverty insurance, not entitlement | NJ.com

Old 05-01-2015, 08:02 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,087,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Well this guy is not a fan of Fox News or the "Tea Party". But this is what he has to say about SS being called an "Entitlement Program":

Social Security Is an Entitlement by Tom Margenau on Creators.com - A Syndicate Of Talent

Look, I agree. If I pay in to a "system" that I am forced to pay in to and with the promise that it will come back to me in spades? Of course I'd want my piece of the pie. Who wouldn't?

What I found amusing is that folks are more upset that Christie used the word "entitlement" rather than when he said something along the lines of "If you're making $200K per year in your retirement years, do you really need that SS coming in or can you give it up for the good of others?"
Nope, not in America. Very few people give anything up financially for the good of the others. And also, 200K per year is really not that much for a family with more than one kid that owns thier own home.
I think if this change is done, Christie and other Republicans will then be assaulting this program as welfare. So in a way he is advocating the beginning of the end of the program.

And of course, when someone suggested increasing the percentage of the income taxed for SSN, Christie shouted them down, as a faithful Republican should.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:33 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,861,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
How is this program supposed to maintain itself?
This is exactly why we need those death panels I've been advocating for.

Old 05-01-2015, 02:10 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,670,830 times
We all like the politician that will stick to the other guy (Republicans like when they stick it to the poor and disenfranchised, Democrats like when they stick to the rich), not so much when they stick it us. I know so many public worker Repubs who hate Christie simply because he's going after their stuff, not realizing that IS PART of the Repub platform. Makes me laugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: