Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 04:46 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't have a problem lessening the sentences for possession, but there needs a be a special place in solitary hell for dealers. We left Sussex Cty 12 years ago, and I'm grateful every day that we did. One of my old neighbors gave me a list of kids she(and I) knew, including her own daughter, who are now addicted to heroin. My youngest son's best friend has been arrested 10 times, 8 for possession, and now twice for dealing. He's facing life, and he's 22. Nice family, nice home, plenty of opportunity, wasted. My friend's daughter has been in rehab twice, and is now living with her grandfather out of state. These dealers are destroying families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 06:39 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I wouldn't have a problem lessening the sentences for possession, but there needs a be a special place in solitary hell for dealers. We left Sussex Cty 12 years ago, and I'm grateful every day that we did. One of my old neighbors gave me a list of kids she(and I) knew, including her own daughter, who are now addicted to heroin. My youngest son's best friend has been arrested 10 times, 8 for possession, and now twice for dealing. He's facing life, and he's 22. Nice family, nice home, plenty of opportunity, wasted. My friend's daughter has been in rehab twice, and is now living with her grandfather out of state. These dealers are destroying families.
while I understand the logic for arresting the dealers and not the possessors, I don't believe it is really fair. its illegal to sell someone something that is legal for them to possess? it doesn't seem consistent to me. id just legalize it and then you can create a more legitimate distribution channel than random kids selling random unbranded drugs.

I think its the criminal justice system that is destroying the families, not the dealers. that kid shouldn't be arrested for any of his "crimes."

Old 05-10-2015, 06:41 PM

imagine if you could legalize crimes like possession and dealing and release those in prison guilty of those "crimes." imagine the freedom. that's good for families.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:34 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
imagine if you could legalize crimes like possession and dealing and release those in prison guilty of those "crimes." imagine the freedom. that's good for families.
I don't think it is the prison sentences that are destroying the addict's families. I am pretty sure it is the addiction while they are free that is doing the destruction. If the dealers are let out, then they will continue to create more addicts.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:09 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,626,467 times
Alcohol was the problem in my family and impacts way more families than drugs. Cigarettes caused a number of other issues.

Should we criminalize both of them?

Old 05-11-2015, 07:23 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
Alcohol was the problem in my family and impacts way more families than drugs. Cigarettes caused a number of other issues.

Should we criminalize both of them?
️️Alcohol was already attempted. Didn't work. Barely lasted a decade. Drugs have been criminalized for far longer and the same level of devastation, if you will, as a result is non-existent. Alcohol is more widespread and popular.

Prohibition didn't work because alcohol is a social "drug." People like to drink it around company, at parties, have fun and drink, and suddenly it was all totally illegal. Heroin isn't the same. I just think the stigma behind alcohol and hard drugs is different in our society - right or wrong. There's a reason DARE doesn't focus on alcohol.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:06 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
while I understand the logic for arresting the dealers and not the possessors, I don't believe it is really fair. its illegal to sell someone something that is legal for them to possess? it doesn't seem consistent to me. id just legalize it and then you can create a more legitimate distribution channel than random kids selling random unbranded drugs.

I think its the criminal justice system that is destroying the families, not the dealers. that kid shouldn't be arrested for any of his "crimes."
I doubt you would be so blase about the heroin scourge if a family member became addicted.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I doubt you would be so blase about the heroin scourge if a family member became addicted.
nobody is blase about anything when a family member is affected by it. that doesnt mean that you can justify putting people in prison because a problem exists. your family member that is addicted made/makes their own choices and they shouldnt be in prison for it.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:12 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
nobody is blase about anything when a family member is affected by it. that doesnt mean that you can justify putting people in prison because a problem exists. your family member that is addicted made/makes their own choices and they shouldnt be in prison for it.
I know someone who is a recreational drug user. I don't think there's much to do for them, there's going to be a % of society that has a certain personality that are willing to do anything to get away from reality through chemicals or physical activity.

Old 05-11-2015, 04:54 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,410 times
that's good for families.

Quote:
your family member that is addicted made/makes their own choices and they shouldnt be in prison for it.
So the huge increase in crime due to drug addiction isn't a problem? Who do you think is paying for their habit? Or will this be another govt. subsidized program that will saddle the taxpayer. We already pay for their rehab and medical treatment. Simply ignoring the issue is going to make it go away? that's a clueless observation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey