Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 08:41 PM

108 posts, read 167,401 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Fair Lawn next week. Any good tips on the city or things I should know? Places to eat, activities, etc. I will be moving there with my family a 3 yr old and a newborn. TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 10:14 PM

46 posts, read 71,405 times
check out bergenmama.com and njplaygrounds.com
fair lawn has a pool you can join (plus a 2nd one in radburn if you're moving to that part of fair lawn)

Old 06-02-2015, 08:58 AM

2,677 posts, read 2,105,266 times
Fair Lawn is very far from a city. It is a "borough". According to the web site (Home - Fair Lawn, NJ), one of its majr attractions is a "Native American Fishing Weir", whatever it is. It is also filled with GI bill era Cape Cods that feature very unique coffin like bedrooms on the second floor.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:53 PM

777 posts, read 2,385,573 times
Fair Lawn has a good home town bar called 'The Dutch House'. They also just built a complex with restaurants and shopping near 208 called 'The Promenade'. There are several good bagel shops. River Road Hot Bagels and there is another good one on Saddle River Road.

You get get good hot dogs and hamburgers 'All the Way' at Johnny's and Hanges on Maple Avenue.

There are also some good Israeli places to eat. There is also the Rail Side Tavern.

There are some Italian options like Mezza Notte on Saddle River Road and Davia on Fair Lawn Avenue. If you like seafood, there is Oceanos. I had Lebanese food once at Rosa's on Broadway and I thought that was pretty good to mix things up from the usual places.

Old 06-02-2015, 04:20 PM

88,763 posts, read 85,156,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Fair Lawn is very far from a city. It is a "borough". According to the web site (Home - Fair Lawn, NJ), one of its majr attractions is a "Native American Fishing Weir", whatever it is. It is also filled with GI bill era Cape Cods that feature very unique coffin like bedrooms on the second floor.
Fyi, a weir is a fish trap. It's a v-shaped line of stones in the Passaic River. The local Indians built it to catch the fish when the water is low. I've seen it a number of times--you can see it from the Fair Lawn Avenue bridge. Interesting to those of us who like history.

Fair Lawn is a great town in which to raise a family. Town pool, big on sports and recreation, access to everything. Get a burger and beer (and historical atmosphere) at The Dutch House. Get a real kosher deli sandwich at Ptak's. There's a good restaurant on River Road but I forget the name.

ETA: Maybe I'm thinking of Davia and have the wrong street. It's wherever the Fair Lawn Inn once was.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 06-02-2015 at 04:29 PM..

Old 06-02-2015, 05:35 PM

271 posts, read 568,736 times
You should join the various Fair Lawn groups on Facebook. You will get a lot more input there. With that said, welcome to Fair Lawn!

Old 06-03-2015, 09:37 AM

108 posts, read 167,401 times
Thanks everyone, I will be sure to check these places out.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:20 PM

1,564 posts, read 2,166,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Fyi, a weir is a fish trap. It's a v-shaped line of stones in the Passaic River. The local Indians built it to catch the fish when the water is low. I've seen it a number of times--you can see it from the Fair Lawn Avenue bridge. Interesting to those of us who like history.
That's pretty cool. Never knew that. I go over that bridge at least once a week to get to Home Depot in Paterson (FYI: 3.50% sales tax) so I'll have to look for that next time. Not sure if you've gone over it lately but I pray to God I don't die every time I'm on the bridge waiting for the light to turn green (it's scheduled to be replaced in 2018). See pic here=> Fair Lawn Avenue bridge to be replaced in 2018 - Transportation - NorthJersey.com

To the OP: Don't forget to check out the Swiss Pork Store on Fair Lawn Ave. They have some of the best German style smoked meats and sausages (wursts). Their "Special Bratwurst" is a killer.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:51 PM

88,763 posts, read 85,156,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
That's pretty cool. Never knew that. I go over that bridge at least once a week to get to Ho. Depot in Paterson (FYI: 3.50% sales tax) so I'll have to look for that next time. Not sure if you've gone over it lately but I pray to God I don't die every time I'm on the bridge waiting for the light to turn green (it's scheduled to be replaced in 2018). See pic here=> Fair Lawn Avenue bridge to be replaced in 2018 - Transportation - NorthJersey.com

To the OP: Don't forget to check out the Swiss Pork Store on Fair Lawn Ave. They have some of the best German style smoked meats and sausages (wursts). Their "Special Bratwurst" is a killer.
Lol no I haven't been over it lately but it appeared structurally questionable 25 years ago!

And wow that the Swiss Pork Store is still there. Wonder if the same guys own it. I used to drink with them at the Dutch.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:44 PM

728 posts, read 1,969,705 times
I thought that bridge was a historic landmark lol. I am glad it's being replaced I am always afraid I will make contact with another car when I am on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey