Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 05:40 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,012,717 times

Advertisements

I work downtown, about 15 min walk from WTC and i think at this point I would take up to a 10% paycut to work in Newark. I'd even consider an even bigger cut for one of those 15 min drive commutes. Oh to dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 03:56 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,928 times
Industry, company, and talent count more towards compensation than anything else.

Friend got 250k plus incentives, plus bonus, plus equity for CIO in NYC Securities firm 2 years ago. Bro in law just got 180k in NYC Bank... slightly different industry, different rules, basically same job, MUCH different pay.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:04 PM

10,482 posts, read 6,999,249 times
As someone who does the long commute into NYC, it's worth the cut to work in NJ.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:02 AM

1,620 posts, read 3,774,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
As someone who does the long commute into NYC, it's worth the cut to work in NJ.
90% cut?

The # is the question

Old 05-13-2015, 11:11 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnetworking View Post
I think NYC always pay little more in General, but you gotta factor in NYC city tax around 3-4%.

Really depend on where you live, if you live in NJ, I think take a small paycut will be a no brainer, the amount of time you saved and the headache you go through travelling to NYC will be a killer for me.
You don't pay the city tax unless you live there so that doe snot apply. Also, if the job is in Hudson county, you don't really save much time or money in the commute by public transportation. And driving anywhere to the vicinity of JC or Hoboken every day during the rush hour is suicidal, at least for me. In addition, working in Manhattan is so much more pleasant, at least for me. You can do a lot during the lunch hour or after work and it is the city, not suburbia.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:49 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,427,851 times
1. I have conducted business in parsippany in the past and one can not pay me more to do business there again. I am not alone in my low opinion of those base rednecks that seem to plague parsippany.

2. I switched jobs from Mid town Manhattan to Newark NJ, got 20k pay raise and now my commute to work is 12 minutes. I also have flexible hours now. In Manhattan it was a fast paced environment, as opposed to me actually doing work today for 45 minutes, the rest of the day I have spend googling stuff.

Typically NYC has to pay 10k more to make up fro commute and tax difference. 20k more if you consider that your commute is longer.

I mean in my last job search I had my share of interviews where employers were trying to convince that I need their b.s. job.

- Job interview in Manhattan, I am to replace an employee who only does 9-5 and never stays late. I said that I only work 9-5 and will not take drug test since I enjoy cannabis.
- Job interview in Manhattan, 3rd round, they can not even meet my min salary expectation. They were trying to sell me their health insurance.
- Job interview in NJ, job has 30% travel and does not pay much more, apparently it has something to do with product management and thus the job title itself is supposed to make me want to sacrifice my time and salary requirements.

Stay green !!!

Old 05-14-2015, 04:27 PM

181 posts, read 378,631 times
It doesn't matter for me. I'm not making anywhere near $120k. I'm just about to break $50k lol. I do administrative work at a midtown office. I've looked around here in NJ for similar jobs, and they do seem to pay less. I also live in Elizabeth. 30 minutes on the train and I'm in the city, and then a 10 minute walk to the office. I have co-workers in parts of Brooklyn and it takes them longer to get to work then I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey