Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2015, 09:39 AM

5 posts, read 13,566 times

Advertisements

Hello all, just wondering if anyone has suggestions for the best ways to drive from Middletown/Monmouth County to LaGuardia ? Looking for alternatives/back up plans to the standard routes given on Google Maps, Mapquest etc. Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 01:57 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,584,927 times
Traveling into or through NYC I often pick the way of least tolls and least traffic and least mileage.

That is a trip I would def check traffic on Goo maps or waze before leaving.
Off the top either Outerbridge to West Shore to Guintified Gang plank to BQE but not back that way due to tolls on the WB Verrazano and SI traffic is thick except late night early morning.

Other way would be Holland Tunnel across Delancey to Williamsburg Willie B Bridge and straight up BQE.

Old 05-09-2015, 02:15 PM

Third way would be up the NJ Yank My Crank ( turnpike ) over the Gee Dub then Cross Bronx down the Deegan and over the Triboro Bridge. Longest and tolls but sometimes maybe quicker other times maybe not.

Myself I would probably check traffic maps and usually go the middle way. Only one toll round trip that way plus whatever you use from Middletown to the Holland.

Old 05-09-2015, 02:48 PM

For instance if you look at it right now you have a lot of red and orange traffic sections across SI and lower Brooklyn with only one red section above the Willie B so I would pick going over the Willie if i was going right now. Different time of day that would still be my shortest route but as i said you have to check before or while you're heading out.

Also if I was coming up the turnpike I would often jump off at the old end of the Pike onto US46 to the Gee Dub since that avoids having to mix in further up with I-80 and cross country traffic.

Old 05-09-2015, 05:08 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,012,241 times
I worked on a project out at Laguardia a few years ago, coming from middlesex county i would ALWAYS take the GWB route identified above. It was ALWAYS the fastest route. I tried the SIE->Belt->BQE, SIE->Belt->Van Wyck and avoided anything through midtown or lower manhattan. The GWB way was the fastest, unless the bridge was backed up from an accident.

Old 05-10-2015, 05:12 AM

127 posts, read 160,562 times
As you can see by my name, I live in Lincroft and go to North side of Eastern LI regulary - The GWB route would be best going to Laguardia. On the return, you need to be aware of any Yankees games because this will delay your return.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:13 AM

5 posts, read 13,566 times
Thank you all. I appreciate your input!

Old 05-10-2015, 09:42 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
its not going to be a great drive but ultimate the best way to do it is to use google maps.

Old 05-10-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its not going to be a great drive but ultimate the best way to do it is to use google maps.
Agreed. With that many river crossings and highways you would need to take a look just before heading out.

I used to commute to near there from Morris County and 99% of the time would sneak across lower Manhattan, which is a short trek Holland to Willie B then up the BeeQ, the BQE. I also like that route because you have no second tolls over the East River. You can get stuck most anywhere in NY in traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey