Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 08:50 AM

1 posts, read 3,145 times

Advertisements

I moved to Linden from Tampa, FL in October, and I don't really understand the negative view of Linden that people seem to have. I find it to be a particularly nice place to live. There are parks within a few blocks of every house. The downtown/train station area going west is pretty, although it tends to cater to the Polish population. I don't find that it caters to the Hispanic population excessively. I am neither Hispanic or Polish, myself.

From what I understand, Tremely is a cheaper area, primarily due to the nearby oil refinery and it's isolation from the rest of Linden because of its proximity to 1&9. I am not a big fan of the area along 1&9 itself, although good for discount shopping. If you would like a peaceful area, your best bet is the Sunnyside area of Linden, west of St.Georges Ave. You will find the Wood Conduminiums along Wood Avenue, and a large number of apartments between Stiles and Dewitt. There are other apartments closer to the train station, but it depends what you are looking for. For convenience, I would choose that area, but for a bit of separation and quiet, Sunnyside seems best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 09:31 AM

526 posts, read 2,068,554 times
I know people in Linden and their prevailing feeling is that the Polish population is moving out and the Hispanic population is moving in. I know for a fact that the Bayway section (which had a large Irish population) is almost all Hispanic now. Not making a judgement here, just saying that Linden is (and has been) going through a change in recent years similar to many towns along the 1&9 corridor. Also, let's not forget to mention that the section near St. George's Avenue that borders Roselle (known as 'Crack Alley') is still dangerous and hasn't changed much in decades. Yes, the Sunnyside section is nice, but it ain't cheap. With Linden, I think it really depends on where you're moving from and what section you're moving to.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:21 PM

22 posts, read 114,969 times
e-town, I dont know what to tell ya, but I live in linden and I dont see what youre saying, including sunnyside not being cheap. compared to what? its not expensive here compared to surrounding areas. and that tiny section down toward bayway is tiny tiny portion of linden.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:39 PM

526 posts, read 2,068,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainoldt View Post
e-town, I dont know what to tell ya, but I live in linden and I dont see what youre saying, including sunnyside not being cheap. compared to what? its not expensive here compared to surrounding areas. and that tiny section down toward bayway is tiny tiny portion of linden.
Plainoldt: You're right, Linden is relatively inexpensive compared to other towns in Union County. What I'm saying is my friend just bought a house in Sunnyside and it cost him $350K. Now I know that's nothing compared to some other towns, but that's not chump change, either.

And about the Hispanic population, the 14% number being quoted is from the 2000 census. That was 8 years ago and alot has changed since then. Bayway is one example. It was predominantly Irish in 2000, now it's almost all Hispanic. So I bet when the 2010 census numbers come out, Linden will be at least 25% Hispanic.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:18 PM

16 posts, read 69,396 times
Default Linden Is Scary

OK, LINDEN IS CLOSE TO ROSELLE, IT'S FILLED WITH LOW INCOME HOUSING, SO IF YOU WANT TO SIT BACK, BE LAZY YOU COULD LIVE IN LOW INCOME HOUSING, WHILE HARD WORKING PEOPLE WHO OWN HOMES IN LINDEN HAVE TO SHARE THE TOWN WITH SCARY POOR PEOPLE.

I MEAN COME ON PEOPLE, I AM ASHAMED TO SAY I EVER LIVED IN LINDEN, EVEN IF IT WAS FOR A MINUTE.

THANK GOD I'M OUT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey