Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 01:39 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcedfx View Post
How about, "Hey bud, the tank isn't full, the pump shut off too soon." or, "Can you please not overfill my tank?" or "Please don't hit my car with the nozzle." or "Please don't put the gas cap on the trunk of my car"
In my 30 years of driving I've never uttered those phrases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Why does everyone think NJ is going to outlaw attendant's at gas stations? This isn't a matter of one or the other. You can have BOTH.

I for one, would love to be able to pump my own gas and not try to communicate with an attendant in some foreign language, or wait for him to take care of the 2 other cars before me, or have him overflow my gas tank, or smack the tip of the gas nozzle into the side of my car (still kills me every time I see it). I am perfectly capable of pumping my own gas, I'm sorry if other people are not, beep your horn so someone comes out.
Why the hyperbole? Is that the only way you can debate? It's simple economics if you allow self server you won't need the same number of attendants, which means there will be a contingent out of work.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I never understand why the people arguing for self serve always try to frame it as if the other side is not "capable" or has a hard time pumping for ourselves. It has nothing to do with that. Most of us have pumped our own gas many times in other states. Yes, it is easy and anybody can do it. Anybody can clean their own toilets too, but if you can have someone else do it for free, why would you want to give that up?
It seems almost everyone in favor of self serve in this thread is resorting to outlandish conjecture and untruths to get their point across.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:26 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Because a good number of people keep throwing out the question of what their elderly, handicapped grandmother is going to do when she needs gas if there are no attendants. How are the elderly and infirm surviving in the other 48 states?

In my opinion supply and demand should determine whether self serve survives in NJ. At least make it an option, and if people really want someone else to pump their gas the way they say they do, stations will move to fill that void.

I don't know why this has to be a one or the other debate.
I drove three hours every month to fill up mom's tank when she couldn't find a full service station. It's not pretty. I bought and filled a couple of gas cans and greased the neighbors palm so that he would dump them into her tank when necessary. That made gas more expensive.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:18 PM

414 posts, read 296,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
It's not a big deal to me, but the choice issue is interesting. Yes, in theory, having a choice would be the best outcome. But in my experience, the vast majority of stations in other states just end up with self-serve only, so I'm not sure you end up with a choice.
Years ago (maybe 15 or so), I was driving around parts of LA and noticed some stations had both types, but the full-serve price per gallon was a good chunk higher. Maybe 50 cents (?) per gallon.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:50 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
They're chiming in because of how absurd our laws are.
Even if it were true that this law is absurd, it still has nothing to do with people who don't live here or come here often. I assume most people in CA rarely come to NJ and need to deal with having their gas pumped for them - the HORROR!

I mean, it's not like I commonly go to CA and have to fill up my own tank. I'm sure the opposite is true about here.

Other states have totally (so called) ridiculous laws but I don't go onto their forums and chime in on their threads or create new threads about their so called dumb laws because they don't affect me. I could go onto their forums and chime in if I really wanted to, but I don't because I just don't care.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:31 AM

538 posts, read 733,404 times
I'm always going to go for VIP treatment for free, which is what we get in Jerz. I'll gladly give up 20-30 seconds to the cause as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey