Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 09:42 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,864,277 times

Advertisements

Your first step is going to be sitting down with someone to discuss mortgage approval to see what you can actually afford and what people will loan you. There's no point discussing a $400K home if you'll only be approved for $350K.

As a first time buyer you should find a realtor in the town you plan to buy. If you are interested in towns in different counties or something, don't be afraid to use a second realtor that is local to that town.

They make their money when the house is sold, 6% of the sale price is split between the buying and selling realtors and it paid by the seller. The buyer pays nothing to use their services. If possible, avoid having your realtor work for the same company the seller is using, they will legally not be allowed to give you any advice and you will lose your biggest advocate.

Check this, and other similar sites out, there are a lot of NJ specific steps that are involved, lawyer review and things like that. 15 Steps to Buying a Home in New Jersey
http://www.state.nj.us/dobi/division...uyingahome.pdf

Again, use your realtor, they'll know some good local inspectors (get your house inspected), real estate lawyers, things like that. You don't have to use who they suggest, but it's nice to get some local names to start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 12:26 PM

255 posts, read 455,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
50 mins is way too optimistic. It's about 65-70min more like it. There are guys that live near there typically need 90mins a day to get into nyc.
I didn't say that was the door to door commute. But the bus ride is ~50 minutes. Yes, I'm aware that delays approaching and in the Lincoln will slow things.

Also, OB is a big town.. Parts of town could be 15 mins south of the park and ride.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:44 PM

244 posts, read 597,689 times
I live in Old Bridge and commute daily. I live in northeast OB bordering Matawan and take the bus from Cheesequake park and ride. I avoid route 9 entirely. It take me hour 20 to hour 30 door to door and I go through the holland tunnel (which has no bus lane) and then take subway 2 stops. On bad weather/ accident says it could take longer. Ops works by port authority which going through the Lincoln is a better ride and then probably 5 minute walk (no subway). If he chose to live in NE old bridge I would say 1:10 door to door based off my experience. Living down Texas road or having to utilize route 9 would be a whole other ball game.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:18 PM

175 posts, read 248,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren810g View Post
I live in Old Bridge and commute daily. I live in northeast OB bordering Matawan and take the bus from Cheesequake park and ride. I avoid route 9 entirely. It take me hour 20 to hour 30 door to door and I go through the holland tunnel (which has no bus lane) and then take subway 2 stops. On bad weather/ accident says it could take longer. Ops works by port authority which going through the Lincoln is a better ride and then probably 5 minute walk (no subway). If he chose to live in NE old bridge I would say 1:10 door to door based off my experience. Living down Texas road or having to utilize route 9 would be a whole other ball game.

Thanks for the feedback.
Isn't your area considered flood zone? Kind of close to the water.

Old 06-01-2015, 04:55 PM

244 posts, read 597,689 times
Nope - I'm not that close to the water. Look by route 516 by Old Bridge high school - that's generally a desirable area in OB to live.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:00 PM

23 posts, read 61,824 times
South Brunswick. Great schools, excellent music program (noticing your handle is pianist718), great municipal services, buses available to NYC from a few locations throughout the town, North Brunswick train station soon, reasonable tax base, a good housing in your range, great sense of community. Lived here for over 25 years and husband and daughters commute with ease. Highly recommend.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:04 AM

23 posts, read 61,824 times
South Brunswick is a great family oriented area with great schools and great family life. Commute is not bad, buses to NYC, train station being built in North Brunswick. Taxes are lower than other areas but great municipal services. Look on Zillow for houses in your range. I live in a community ranging between 370K and 480K with a highly rated elementary school right in development. I made the transition from NY to bring my kids up here from birth and they are now 25 and 28 and only now am I moving to be closer to family. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey