Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2015, 09:43 AM

3 posts, read 2,073 times

Advertisements

Where are you coming from? Carlstadt, NJ
Why are you moving? My boyfriend's commute isn't ideal. We'd also like to move to a nicer apartment building with more amenities.
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? I work in Wayne and my boyfriend works in downtown Livingston.

Will you buy or rent? Rent
What is your budget ? Up to $2,000 for a one bedroom.
What kind of place are you looking for? We'd really like to live in a building with a lot of amenities - especially a really nice gym, dishwasher, in-unit laundry, and covered parking. 750+ square feet. Outdoor space would also be nice.

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you? One cat
Do you need/want good public schools? No - no children

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in: We're looking for a neighborhood that is safe and not run down.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance: Short commutes, safety, amenities

So far we've looked at The Monarch in East Rutherford and The Residences at Bay Street Station in Montclair. The Monarch was really nice but it's farther from our jobs than we would like. At The Residences at Bay Street Station we were disappointed with the gym, but overall it was a really nice building. Our main issue with that building is the cost of parking - $105-$130/ month per car, and we have two cars. Since the cheapest one bedroom there is around $1,950, and we'd pay $20/month for our cat, the parking would bring us way over budget (to almost $2,200). We really don't want to go that much over $2,000.

There are a lot of new buildings in Bloomfield - we'll probably look into those, especially the Avalon. I also saw the Highlands at Hilltop in Verona online but it seems too expensive unfortunately.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 12:41 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,143,947 times
There are a lot of condo/townhouses in Livingston Center. You could check to see if anyone is renting these out.

Old 05-31-2015, 02:02 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
The places you're looking at have a premium for easy NYC access. Try looking at conveniently-located places that don't -- Wayne itself, Florham Park, the Caldwells, Fairfield, etc. Livingston might be out of your budget but many of the other towns around shouldn't be.

Old 05-31-2015, 02:08 PM

882 posts, read 1,670,353 times
I second Caldwell. Easy ride to both Livingston and Wayne. Not paying for train access but there is a bus that goes to NYC. Caldwell itself has a decent retail strip and is close to Montclair. I have a friend who lives there and goes into Hoboken and NYC all the time without much problem; she commutes to Florham Park for work. Apartments there are cheaper than some of the bigger-name towns, not sure if there are any luxury rentals though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey