U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2015, 09:15 AM

2 posts, read 4,113 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We currently renting in Edison NJ 08820 for the past three years and exploring our options to buy a house in Edison/Marlboro or Plainsboro. We have twins in 4th grade have few questions in mind to decide for High School options:

Edison Choices:
1. JP Steven High School- This Year the ranking dropped from 600 something to 867 based on USNEWS ranking

2. Middlesex County Academy for Science, Mathematics and Engineering Technologies- Pre Engineering
Academy - Admission Test to get in

Marlboro Choices:

1. Marlboro High School

2. Biotechnology High School-Ranked 19th nationally- Admission Test to get in

3. High Tech High School-Ranked 20th nationally and STEM ranking is 1 nationally Admission Test to get in

Plainsboro Choices:

1. West Windsor High School (North) 336 nationally Ranked.

We also prefer to have SOUTH ASIAN (INDIANS) community. Edison and Plainsboro have considerable amount of Indians but Marlboro we are not clear.

Any suggestion/advice is appreciated.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 09:55 AM

248 posts, read 374,197 times
-Where do you work? I mean, what town, obviously.

-Not a lot of Indians in Marlboro.

-Do you really think the teachers at JPS forgot how to teach or the students got that much dumber in one year? Please take those rankings with a grain of salt, especially ones that try to compare the whole country.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:58 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,103,294 times
Don't fear buying a home based on the high school rankings for one year when your kids are five years away from high school. In fact, do not buy any home based on high school rankings, that's only one part of the whole and you have no idea what will change by the time your kids are in high school.

Great students have come from crappy high schools and great high schools routinely put out crappy students. More of it has to do with you and your family's influences.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:17 AM

4,021 posts, read 2,101,972 times
Also- Monmouth Vocational HS are open to all county residents- no need to buy specifically in Marlboro if you are aiming for one of them.
If you are dead set on also having an excellent local HS a fallback then there are other towns in Monmouth County besides Marlboro: Holdmel, Rumson, etc- but knowing things like budget, work location/commute, etc are needed.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:19 AM

2 posts, read 4,113 times
Default Thanks

Thanks everybody for the prompt reply. My husband commutes to Bedminster NJ for work but only once or twice in a week and also fly to Atlanta twice a month.

Housing, I do not think their is huge difference in price. A good house ranges anywhere from 700k and above in North Edison, Marlboro and Plainsboro.

In Marlboro,Morganville and Holmdel, I believe there are not many Indians like in North Edison and Plainsboro.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:43 AM

986 posts, read 2,655,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by followwise View Post
We also prefer to have SOUTH ASIAN (INDIANS) community. Edison and Plainsboro have considerable amount of Indians but Marlboro we are not clear.

Any suggestion/advice is appreciated.

I was in the same situation as you not to long, only I was looking for an all white (European) community.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
I was in the same situation as you not to long, only I was looking for an all white (European) community.
You can find a lot of those in the South.

Old 06-01-2015, 04:43 PM

986 posts, read 2,655,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
You can find a lot of those in the South.
I guess my post went right over your head......

Your OK with the OP wanting to be in Asian Indian neighborhood, but if I white person wants to live in a white area he belongs in the south.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
I guess my post went right over your head......

Your OK with the OP wanting to be in Asian Indian neighborhood, but if I white person wants to live in a white area he belongs in the south.

If you can't see that there is a lot of bad history with white people demanding white-only areas in this country through violence and killings and that it's charged language that you should probably avoid joking about, you should definitely hit yourself in the head.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:10 PM

60 posts, read 83,872 times
Marlboro is also part of the Freehold Regional HS District- there are selective schools within a school in that district as well. I know there's a science/engineering one for one, and it's supposedly easier to get into one of those than High Tech and the like (Monmouth County's MAST and Health Academy are also very good).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey