Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 09:35 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,626,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
I definitely recommend going to Red Bank. It's near the river, and there are lots of antiques shops, Jack's Music Shoppe , Yestercades, and other fabulous and cool places.
Great photos! Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
Somerville is a nice little town, very walkable, trains right there too. I believe there are new condos right on main street that are well below $450k.
Haven't seen Somerville mentioned anywhere yet. Will add it to my list. Thanks!

Old 06-08-2015, 06:33 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,452,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
Haven't seen Somerville mentioned anywhere yet. Will add it to my list. Thanks!

While Somerville is definitely a possibility for the op as it is walkable, affordable, and although there is no Whole Foods, there is a Wegman's nearby. The down side is that the commute to NYC/Jersey City/Weehawkin would be killer.

A huge +1 for Morristown though, lots of condo's in your price range, Whole Foods just opened up on Washington St, and there is a Kings on South St (Kings has similar demographics as WF). It has a very vibrant downtown, lots of mom and pop stores, restaurants, and a plethora of cultural events, as well as the Mayo Center for the Performing Arts. You'd also be within 15 minutes to three colleges, Drew Univ, College of St. Elizabeth, and Fairleigh Dickinson Univ. all of which provide a wealth of activities and cultural events. Morristown also has a train station on the midtown direct line, (the trip to NY Penn is roughly 60 min). Schools are good too, all the elem and middle school rate/rank well and the HS was rated in the top third in the state. Morristown Medical Center is also top notch, ranked as one of the best in the nation - that is always nice to have close by, should the need ever arise (knock wood it doesn't)

KoalaNJ

Old 06-08-2015, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
While Somerville is definitely a possibility for the op as it is walkable, affordable, and although there is no Whole Foods, there is a Wegman's nearby. The down side is that the commute to NYC/Jersey City/Weehawkin would be killer.

A huge +1 for Morristown though, lots of condo's in your price range, Whole Foods just opened up on Washington St, and there is a Kings on South St (Kings has similar demographics as WF). It has a very vibrant downtown, lots of mom and pop stores, restaurants, and a plethora of cultural events, as well as the Mayo Center for the Performing Arts. You'd also be within 15 minutes to three colleges, Drew Univ, College of St. Elizabeth, and Fairleigh Dickinson Univ. all of which provide a wealth of activities and cultural events. Morristown also has a train station on the midtown direct line, (the trip to NY Penn is roughly 60 min). Schools are good too, all the elem and middle school rate/rank well and the HS was rated in the top third in the state. Morristown Medical Center is also top notch, ranked as one of the best in the nation - that is always nice to have close by, should the need ever arise (knock wood it doesn't)

KoalaNJ
Thank you very much for this very helpful description. We'll be making a trip soon to Morristown. It sounds like a wonderful place to live!

Old 06-09-2015, 06:24 AM

44 posts, read 61,805 times
You can also try Metuchen. They have a smallish downtown and are building a Whole Foods this year that's right in the middle of town. It's a 10 minute drive to New Brunswick if you want a bigger city downtown feel.

Old 06-09-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basexc9 View Post
You can also try Metuchen. They have a smallish downtown and are building a Whole Foods this year that's right in the middle of town. It's a 10 minute drive to New Brunswick if you want a bigger city downtown feel.
Thank you for the additional recommendation. I am adding it to my list.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:26 AM

I wanted to again thank everyone for their very helpful advice.

My wife and I had a chance to look at several of the towns that were recommended. Morristown definitely came out at the top of the list. Now we have to wrestle with the distance between Morristown and our family in Brooklyn and Queens but it is a wonderful town and will be one that we are focusing on. Montclair was also very nice but for some reason didn't feel as warm and inviting.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Old 06-18-2015, 07:36 AM

19,114 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
While Somerville is definitely a possibility for the op as it is walkable, affordable, and although there is no Whole Foods, there is a Wegman's nearby.
Actually, there will be a Whole Foods store in the area fairly soon.
At the intersection of Chimney Rock Road and Rt. 22, they have begun the construction of a new strip mall, and Whole Foods is apparently going to be the anchor store. This will be less than 5 miles from downtown Somerville, or about the same distance as the Wegman's store in Bridgewater.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:18 AM

1,215 posts, read 3,288,927 times
Ridgewood and Montclair would be my recommendations. That said, I am a "North Jersey" kind of guy, LOL, born and raised in NYC/Northern NJ, for the most part, for my entire life; so that's going to be my orientation.

Morristown, sure, why not. I think Morristown is an excellent town, with a lot to offer. I enjoy going there. Personally, I wouldn't want to live there, but that means nothing.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:27 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
I wanted to again thank everyone for their very helpful advice.

My wife and I had a chance to look at several of the towns that were recommended. Morristown definitely came out at the top of the list. Now we have to wrestle with the distance between Morristown and our family in Brooklyn and Queens but it is a wonderful town and will be one that we are focusing on. Montclair was also very nice but for some reason didn't feel as warm and inviting.

Thanks again for all of your help!
Yay! I was the first to mention it in your earlier thread...I win the forum! LOL Seriously though, good luck, it's a really cool place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey