Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 12:43 PM

9 posts, read 13,771 times

Advertisements

Hello fellow NJers. I recently moved here from Kansas for work and I am looking for a place to move to. I moved a few months ago and found a quick place in downtown Jersey City in the Grove Street area. It's expensive so I'm looking to move and I am spanning my horizons. Currently, I am paying $2000 in rent and I am looking to bring that down to $1400 or lower. I don't mind going anywhere as long as the following 3 criteria are met:

A (most important ). Has to be safe enough for my fiancee to walk anytime of day or night

B. Total Commute time from new city/town to Madison Square Park (in NYC) should be no more than 45 mins.

C. Has to be through some form(s) of public transport

Please let me know some options for new city/towns. Thank you so much for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 02:11 PM

88,488 posts, read 84,635,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynjst View Post
Hello fellow NJers. I recently moved here from Kansas for work and I am looking for a place to move to. I moved a few months ago and found a quick place in downtown Jersey City in the Grove Street area. It's expensive so I'm looking to move and I am spanning my horizons. Currently, I am paying $2000 in rent and I am looking to bring that down to $1400 or lower. I don't mind going anywhere as long as the following 3 criteria are met:

A (most important ). Has to be safe enough for my fiancee to walk anytime of day or night

B. Total Commute time from new city/town to Madison Square Park (in NYC) should be no more than 45 mins.

Please let me know some options for new city/towns. Thank you so much for your help.
You could try either Rutherford or Lyndhurst, which are the easternmost end of the Bergen and Main Line train lines, respectively, before Secaucus Junction. You might find a low rent in one of those towns. They are safe places. I worked by Madison Square Park for a number of years, and just the PATH from Hoboken to 23rd Street and then the eight-minute walk to get to where you are going takes a good 20, so that only leaves you 25 minutes of commute time to get to Hoboken. You might try Garfield, too, which is farther than Rutherford but might also have lower rentals available.

Look at the NJ Transit map and check out the towns closest to the city. On some lines, however, you will go into New York Penn, not Hoboken, and then the walk to Madison Square Park is longer or you have to take a subway.

New Jersey Transit - Home

Did a quick look on Realtor--there are a few apartments available in Rutherford in your price range. Nice smaller town.

http://www.realtor.com/apartments/Ru.../price-na-1400

Also a few in Lyndhurst:

http://www.realtor.com/apartments/Ly.../price-na-1400

Old 06-10-2015, 08:31 AM

9 posts, read 13,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You could try either Rutherford or Lyndhurst, which are the easternmost end of the Bergen and Main Line train lines, respectively, before Secaucus Junction. You might find a low rent in one of those towns. They are safe places. I worked by Madison Square Park for a number of years, and just the PATH from Hoboken to 23rd Street and then the eight-minute walk to get to where you are going takes a good 20, so that only leaves you 25 minutes of commute time to get to Hoboken. You might try Garfield, too, which is farther than Rutherford but might also have lower rentals available.

Look at the NJ Transit map and check out the towns closest to the city. On some lines, however, you will go into New York Penn, not Hoboken, and then the walk to Madison Square Park is longer or you have to take a subway.

New Jersey Transit - Home

Did a quick look on Realtor--there are a few apartments available in Rutherford in your price range. Nice smaller town.

Apartments for Rent in Rutherford, Top 4 Apts and Homes in Rutherford, NJ - realtor.com®

Also a few in Lyndhurst:

Apartments for Rent in Lyndhurst, Top 8 Apts and Homes in Lyndhurst, NJ - realtor.com®

When I checked out the crime map on trulia, Lyndhurst looked really red, but Rutherford is a good neighborhood, but Rutherford's travel time is 1 hour+ and there is only 1 route going and coming that is 45 mins at 1 time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Lugashi View Post
How many bedrooms do you need?

Just 1

Old 06-10-2015, 08:48 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,861,975 times
I would disagree with the red crime area on Lyndhurst, it's a nice town. Here's the recent police blotter:
Lyndhurst: Police Blotter, June 4, 2015 - Police Blotters - NorthJersey.com
Lyndhurst: Police Blotter, May 28, 2015 - Police Blotters - NorthJersey.com

You'll find similar stories in Rutherford:
Denville: Police Blotter, June 9, 2015 - Police Blotters - NorthJersey.com
Rutherford: Police Blotter, June 4, 2015 - Police Blotters - NorthJersey.com

None of this stuff is really serious. But, I do have to say that the one train line from Secaucus is more of an annoyance than crime up there. But rents are cheap.

Also, I feel like this has to be singled out for it's amazingness: "On May 27, at 5 p.m., a female resident reported receiving multiple calls of a sexually explicit nature from a man with an Indian accent, police said. The call was made from overseas."

Old 06-10-2015, 09:36 AM

1,215 posts, read 3,287,674 times
Quote:

I think those are broad criteria and opens the door to many towns.

When you say 45 minutes -- are you talking about driving or mass transit?

There's so much -- Secaucus, Rutherford, Lyndhurst, Wood-Ridge, Hasbrouck Heights, etc.

What about looking at Fair Lawn? Englewood? There's so much out there.

Good luck.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:01 AM

595 posts, read 676,212 times
For criteria B, I think you need to accept that is pretty unrealistic. I used to work right there when I was living on the Upper East Side in the 70s. My commute door to door using the 6 train took over 30min. If you want to live in NJ, you're going to have a tough team beating your current location. The Path is your best bet. But as you've noticed, JC isn't cheap and getting more expensive every day. Hoboken is even worse. I see folks here talk about Harrison a lot, but I have zero experience there. How long is your current commute now, door to door?

Old 06-10-2015, 10:03 AM

357 posts, read 1,026,188 times
45 min door to door is going to be a problem.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
When I checked out the crime map on trulia, Lyndhurst looked really red, but Rutherford is a good neighborhood, but Rutherford's travel time is 1 hour+ and there is only 1 route going and coming that is 45 mins at 1 time.

Just 1
I am surprised at that crime information. Lyndhurst? That doesn't seem right. It's a pretty quiet, family-oriented town.

You may have to face some reality as far as travel times go. Very few people who commute from NJ to NY have a door-to-door commute time of less than one hour, and you are going over to the more eastern part of Manhattan, which adds minutes. New York City is on an island, and there's a mile-wide river between it and NJ over which a quarter million people are trying to cross at the same window of time every day over the same limited number of crossings. Rutherford and Lyndhurst are two of the closest-in towns, certainly the two on their respective train lines. This is why I suggested you also look at the close-in towns on other train lines on the NJ Transit site.

New Jersey is the most-densely-populated state and one of the most expensive in which to live, facts which I'm sure you already knew when you decided to move here. Its proximity to New York City is one of the reasons.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 06-10-2015 at 12:05 PM..

Old 06-10-2015, 12:27 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,861,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am surprised at that crime information. Lyndhurst? That doesn't seem right. It's a pretty quiet, family-oriented town.
You know, so was I, so I looked up what Trulia says:
Trulia Local - Visual analysis of local data

But if you drill down into what they're doing is giving every single reported call to emergency services equal weight. Fire alarms. Vehicular crash, no injuries. Medical call. Property found. Given that there are 83 "crimes" literally across the street from the police/fire station, I'm suspecting that Lyndhurst is just really vigilant about reporting everything via some computer system. And then Trulia just scoops it up and runs with it without thinking.

Here's another statistic:
There are 683 reports in Lyndhurst.
There are 14 reports in East Orange.
There are 18 reports in Rutherford.

By Trulia logic, East Orange is safer than Rutherford. You should definitely be using any other metric.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
You know, so was I, so I looked up what Trulia says:
Trulia Local - Visual analysis of local data

But if you drill down into what they're doing is giving every single reported call to emergency services equal weight. Fire alarms. Vehicular crash, no injuries. Medical call. Property found. Given that there are 83 "crimes" literally across the street from the police/fire station, I'm suspecting that Lyndhurst is just really vigilant about reporting everything via some computer system. And then Trulia just scoops it up and runs with it without thinking.

Here's another statistic:
There are 683 reports in Lyndhurst.
There are 14 reports in East Orange.
There are 18 reports in Rutherford.

By Trulia logic, East Orange is safer than Rutherford. You should definitely be using any other metric.
LOL. Maybe they've got CompStat or an equivalent. It's a program for logging in and tracking crime used by big-city police departments but it's become more popular over the years for other police agencies, too.

OP--you don't want to live in East Orange despite that low number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey