Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 07:02 PM

323 posts, read 562,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydiz1994 View Post
So off the top of my head I can recommend three places. Forest Hill, Downtown, or the Ironbound. If you are looking for a quieter part of town with great access to the light rail and a huge park you can look there. It's pretty expensive compared to the rest of the city and extremely safe with really great housing stock. If you are looking for newer construction that area just got a bunch of privately financed market rate housing right by the park's Cherry Blossom area. If you are looking for a more exciting part of town you can def look at downtown or Ironbound. Ironbound has a great bunch of restaurants and night life options and has a whole bunch of new construction coming online in the next few years. Downtown on the other hand is up and coming so it is still lacking in things the Ironbound has. Though, it is getting a whole bunch of new construction in terms of office buildings and luxuary apartments and newer higher end stores moving in. It has great access to mass transit into NYC and a whole bunch of cultural establishments from the Newark museum, the arena NJPAC and three universities. Those are the three you should seriously look into as of right now. Most of the central, west and south are really bad areas and most of the north Ward while not terrible is run down and caters more to working class immigrants. Thus, it really depends on your budget and what type of environment you are looking for in Newark.
Thank you. My budget is 1700 a month MAX but I prefer as large an apartment as I can get. So I am willing to venture into central Newark or south Newark to achieve that. I don't want to go over 1650 a month honestly, as my husband is already working ot and I don't want to tax our budget anymore than that, but I need lots of space, or as much as I can possibly get on my budget.

I have family that live in the West Wards and they aren't moving so I know I could be ok there if I HAD to be there. But I prefer the university heights section , upper Clinton hill area? I always feel really good among the developing areas there. I know families buying in those areas and after 2+ years homes and vehicles are still safe. 😁

Downtown and Ironbound are TOO crowded for me. My main reason for going to Newark is to escape the dense crowds, no parking, huge buildings and super tight pressed together homes and streets. If I move to Ironbound I may as well stay in Jersey City!

Thanks again for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 07:10 PM

323 posts, read 562,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruebas View Post
Why Newark? The answer to your question depends on the answer to this?

And why (only?) new construction? I generally don't think of Newark and new construction together.
Why? Affordability, cultural preservation, and SPACE! I can't leave northern nj because hubby was blessed with a pretty good job after MANY years of struggle, but we are still unable to afford more than 1700 a month rent MAX. Newark is very diverse and they stand firm on preserving the culture of the city, and the large homes, wide streets and parks are something I truly need. so Newark it is.

I'm biased towards new construction. I am renting and don't want the problems of older buildings and potential issues such as cheap upgrades and mold, etc, which I'm dealing with now in Jersey city. My daughter is facing bad lung infections since moving into the place were at now and I'm terrified of a repeat of this disaster.

If I can find a TRULY well and FULLY renovated older home...that's good and I'd snatch it up! BUT THAT means new electrical circuits, walls, flooring, plumbing, etc. I want to stay in the place I rent long term and want it to be well cared for and truly HOME. I don't want to have to move by year two because of slum landlords or the place falling apart around me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey