Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2015, 10:10 AM

472 posts, read 812,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
One bedroom is 2K a month? That is absolutely insane, at least in my opinion...
It definitely is insane.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 10:20 AM

380 posts, read 607,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
One bedroom is 2K a month? That is absolutely insane, at least in my opinion...
Everything is relative. It might not be insane when that same 1 br is 5K in prime Manhattan areas.

Old 07-03-2015, 05:01 PM

343 posts, read 615,043 times
As a follow up, we checked out ridgewood past weekend. Some observation:

The residential neighborhood is as expected - clean well maintained lawns, quiet, and looks nice. However I did not get the sense the area is over the top wealthy like someone mentioned where kids in high schools are driving around in bmws. Most parked cars are just normal and area seems middle class, which is a good thing imo.

Housing stock - really wasn't impressed. We looked at a few just below 800k and they all need considerable rennovation, very old houses. 900k-1M has some new construction and rennovated, but nothing fancy and the living room spaces are all on the small side. We didn't check anything above 1m as don't want to go higher than that.

Downtown - this was probably my biggest disappointment, as I heard so much about ridgewood's downtown. But it was just a few streets with a bunch small stores, most sell stuff you will never need. There are decent number of restaurants but they are all mostly dark and empty except the pizza places. Compared to Hoboken/jersey city waterfront it wasn't even close.

Side story, I went into a lobster place and the girl told me sorry we only take reservation customers today with a smile, I looked around all tables were empty except 1 which had a couple eating. Very confused I told her ok can I make a reservation for later today then? She responded sorry has to be few days in advance. I looked around the empty restaurant again and said ok you guys must be very busy as I left.

We also saw a few houses at waldwick which is just a 5-10 min drive away, there for around 600-700k you can get a fully rennovated house. I honestly can't tell the difference between neighborhoods except the houses seem a lot cheaper.

Overall I really wasn't too impressed in term of the value - what you get for the price at ridgewood. Waldwick seems more reasonable given it's almost the same neighborhood. Again just my personal view not to offend anyone.

Will checkout Rutherford soon and report back.

Old 07-03-2015, 05:54 PM

66 posts, read 166,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdude05 View Post
As a follow up, we checked out ridgewood past weekend. Some observation:

The residential neighborhood is as expected - clean well maintained lawns, quiet, and looks nice. However I did not get the sense the area is over the top wealthy like someone mentioned where kids in high schools are driving around in bmws. Most parked cars are just normal and area seems middle class, which is a good thing imo.

Housing stock - really wasn't impressed. We looked at a few just below 800k and they all need considerable rennovation, very old houses. 900k-1M has some new construction and rennovated, but nothing fancy and the living room spaces are all on the small side. We didn't check anything above 1m as don't want to go higher than that.

Downtown - this was probably my biggest disappointment, as I heard so much about ridgewood's downtown. But it was just a few streets with a bunch small stores, most sell stuff you will never need. There are decent number of restaurants but they are all mostly dark and empty except the pizza places. Compared to Hoboken/jersey city waterfront it wasn't even close.

Side story, I went into a lobster place and the girl told me sorry we only take reservation customers today with a smile, I looked around all tables were empty except 1 which had a couple eating. Very confused I told her ok can I make a reservation for later today then? She responded sorry has to be few days in advance. I looked around the empty restaurant again and said ok you guys must be very busy as I left.

We also saw a few houses at waldwick which is just a 5-10 min drive away, there for around 600-700k you can get a fully rennovated house. I honestly can't tell the difference between neighborhoods except the houses seem a lot cheaper.

Overall I really wasn't too impressed in term of the value - what you get for the price at ridgewood. Waldwick seems more reasonable given it's almost the same neighborhood. Again just my personal view not to offend anyone.

Will checkout Rutherford soon and report back.
I'm surprised that the houses you saw in Ridgewood needed work at 800k. I could see if we were talking 500k, or even 600k but not 800k. There are definitely homes in Ridgewood that don't need work in the mid-600's up. I suspect your going to find a lot of the Rutherford homes will need work as well. However since you seem to be looking a higher price point, you may not find a lot of properties like that.

As far as the BMW remark you made I suspect you didn't look in the Heights section or Old Country Club section of Ridgewood. (Both these are west of the train tracks). Those two neighborhoods are a big factor as to why people say Ridgewood residents are so wealthy.

I'm glad you found some properties you liked in Waldwick. I think the biggest differences between Waldwick and Ridgewood are the schools, downtown, and "town name" which explain why Waldwick housing prices are lower. By no means is Waldwick a bad community--it just doesn't have the reputation of Ridgewood. However, I agree with you Waldwick definitely offers you more house for your money and better upgrades than Ridgewood could at your price point.

Last edited by rural_urban; 07-03-2015 at 06:08 PM..

Old 07-03-2015, 06:42 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,254,410 times
You might consider checking out the Radburn section of Fair Lawn. It is a couple stops closer to Secaucus from Ridgewood and catches most of the express trains that serve Ridgewood. Schools are comparable to Waldwick and the housing stock is newer than what you'd typically get in Ridgewood. More bang for the buck as well. As you observed, Ridgewood's reputation creates a feeding frenzy that pushes housing high relative to what you'd get dollar for dollar in other solid towns.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:57 PM

592 posts, read 2,187,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural_urban View Post
I'm surprised that the houses you saw in Ridgewood needed work at 800k. I could see if we were talking 500k, or even 600k but not 800k. There are definitely homes in Ridgewood that don't need work in the mid-600's up. I suspect your going to find a lot of the Rutherford homes will need work as well. However since you seem to be looking a higher price point, you may not find a lot of properties like that.

As far as the BMW remark you made I suspect you didn't look in the Heights section or Old Country Club section of Ridgewood. (Both these are west of the train tracks). Those two neighborhoods are a big factor as to why people say Ridgewood residents are so wealthy.

I'm glad you found some properties you liked in Waldwick. I think the biggest differences between Waldwick and Ridgewood are the schools, downtown, and "town name" which explain why Waldwick housing prices are lower. By no means is Waldwick a bad community--it just doesn't have the reputation of Ridgewood. However, I agree with you Waldwick definitely offers you more house for your money and better upgrades than Ridgewood could at your price point.
We only focused our search within 5-10 blocks of the downtown train station, as I wanted to be close to the train station, we checked out a few houses in the mid 700k range, they look good on photos but in person, you see it was just a fresh coat of paint, there are cracks everywhere, kitchen/bathroom are all old, basement is unfinished etc.. basically all requires quite a bit of work.

As for the houses we checked out in waldwick they were all built in 2005 or newer and fully renovated, they are only 5-10 min drive to ridgewood downtown so to me it seems not make a difference. The area is identical to ridgewood neighborhoods.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:58 PM

592 posts, read 2,187,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrex View Post
You might consider checking out the Radburn section of Fair Lawn. It is a couple stops closer to Secaucus from Ridgewood and catches most of the express trains that serve Ridgewood. Schools are comparable to Waldwick and the housing stock is newer than what you'd typically get in Ridgewood. More bang for the buck as well. As you observed, Ridgewood's reputation creates a feeding frenzy that pushes housing high relative to what you'd get dollar for dollar in other solid towns.
i heard about radburn but never looked into it, thanks i will do some research and check it out.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:12 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post
We only focused our search within 5-10 blocks of the downtown train station, as I wanted to be close to the train station, we checked out a few houses in the mid 700k range, they look good on photos but in person, you see it was just a fresh coat of paint, there are cracks everywhere, kitchen/bathroom are all old, basement is unfinished etc.. basically all requires quite a bit of work.

As for the houses we checked out in waldwick they were all built in 2005 or newer and fully renovated, they are only 5-10 min drive to ridgewood downtown so to me it seems not make a difference. The area is identical to ridgewood neighborhoods.
Ridgewood has had a train station since the 19th century, so yes, the homes would be older in that area. There are beautiful houses in Ridgewood, but those neighborhoods would run you $1 million and up. There's also Midland Park, which is sort of a sister town to Waldwick. More of a small-town feel.

Sorry to hear your report about Ridgewood's downtown. I know some places closed when the recession began, but it used to be a very vibrant place in the evenings, with restaurants with outdor seating, people walking around, etc.

I am originally from that area...but now I live near Red Bank in Monmouth County, which really DOES have a vibrant downtown! Too far away for you, though.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdude05 View Post
In term of neighborhoods, i understand both towns are nice. But can someone who lived in both give some pros/cons of each? I see rutherford is closer to nyc in term of commute but ridgewood seems to have a better downtown area and schools.
I grew up in Upper Saddle River and my husband and I have chosen to raise our family in Rutherford. It has a charming small town feel with very good schools, and a nice downtown. We moved here in 2010. The commute to NYC is very convenient with bus and train to Manhattan. It's about 27 minutes door to door for the bus, and 30 minutes for the train (I've timed it). Ridgewood is closer to 45 minutes. It's mostly middle and upper middle class with housing prices fast on the rise. There was a great New York Times article written about Rutherford that accurately depicts the town in detail. The lots are smaller than in Ridgewood but still have nice yards and a nice "green" feel with several parks in the town. The streets are tree lined. Would highly recommend this town and we are very happy living here.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:22 AM

166 posts, read 326,573 times
Heights section of Ridgewood is the uber wealthy. 1.5M houses and up. A more vibrant downtown than Ridgewood is Westfield and Montclair. Westfiled is more chain stores but Montclair has some and is getting more. Montclair has the better restaurant scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey