Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 11:41 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,065,671 times

Advertisements

He did a lot of great things for NJ, along with a handful of bad things.

The republican candidates don't really stand out and I don't think Christie had enough experience to run the country. Maybe in a few years, but not yet. I wish him luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 11:44 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,065,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
I don't care about NJ Transit.

I don't work for it or use it.

Where's the money to "fix" it or "build that tunnel" or what the heck ever, supposed to come from? Raise NJ income taxes? Tax all food? Clothing? And the complaining that would ensue…please.
It will come from all those Wall Street bankers and corporate professionals that work in NY and pay majority of NJ's income taxes. Most of them commute by train and they already pay more than their fair share.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:58 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,653,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare727 View Post
Reagan's approval rating was pretty similar to Obama's current approval rating at this point in '87 (high 40s, lows 50s - slightly better than Obama but not much), and George Bush got elected after him. Presidential Popularity Over Time

It could happen, especially considering there is no real front-runner in the Republican race thus far. It would be one thing if Obama was wildly unpopular the way George W. was in his later years, but he's stayed at a consistent middling level.
That is not an accurate assessment. Reagan's average job approval rating was 52.8, Obama's is 47. Obama is actually 2.5 points worse than GW was. His approval is so bad that only Jimmy Carter was regarded less and that led to the US electing the Arnold Schwarzenegger of his day president. I think a lot of people(especially dems) are disillusioned when it comes to how unpopular our current president is. He still has a year to turn it around but he has a big mountain to climb.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...pproval_rating

Old 06-30-2015, 07:39 AM

239 posts, read 378,470 times
Someone sent me a PM asking me to name the skeletons in Chris Christie's closet that I alluded to earlier. I certainly don't have any inside info, but this article is a great primer on the history of CC's political career:

Chris Christie's Rise and Fall | The New Republic

I recommend reading the whole thing, but in short, Chris Chris had his hands dirty long before the bridge fiasco. I have no doubt that if CC were ever to become a threat to win the nomination (which at this point is unlikely) the other candidates could unearth a significant amount of dirt. Where there's smoke there's fire.

Last edited by nnjguy; 06-30-2015 at 07:47 AM..

Old 06-30-2015, 08:37 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,719,042 times
last time he ran for anything was when he heard his local Krispy Kreme was going out of business

Old 06-30-2015, 08:42 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,600,312 times
Default Obama's is 47. Obama is actually 2.5 points worse than GW was.

And Christie's 30% approval rating in his own state. He won by a landslide now is disliked by many that voted for him.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:48 AM

807 posts, read 1,029,784 times
He has no chance, and he knows it. Christie is doing it for the publicity. He thinks he's a celebrity, and that's all he wants, and money.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:52 AM

23,446 posts, read 17,121,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnjguy View Post
Someone sent me a PM asking me to name the skeletons in Chris Christie's closet that I alluded to earlier. I certainly don't have any inside info, but this article is a great primer on the history of CC's political career:

Chris Christie's Rise and Fall | The New Republic

I recommend reading the whole thing, but in short, Chris Chris had his hands dirty long before the bridge fiasco. I have no doubt that if CC were ever to become a threat to win the nomination (which at this point is unlikely) the other candidates could unearth a significant amount of dirt. Where there's smoke there's fire.
Are you kidding. The DOJ assigned a headhunter attorney of some repute to nail CC for the perception he knew about a lane closure. The state dems spent taxpayer money and made all sort of innuendo and all came up empty. The media propaganda machine ran endless stories about CC and none of the reporters or 'journalists could uncover just a little something to create a pattern of behavior that would have ended CC as a potential rep candidate. CC scared their pants off last year.

So now someone is going to show up the DOJ and state dems to find a morsel they can use to hang CC? If they do, it makes the NJ dems and DOJ look foolish.

re another post

Yep, so obama had the experience to run the country and CC doesn't????????

Actually no prez candidate is qualified, some less than others. You need to look at who their advisors will be. In obama's case it was Valerie Jarrett with 20 years of inspiration from Rev Wright.

At least CC communicates his thoughts. Obama needs a fleet of lawyers and a bucket of hucksters to tell us what he meant and that message changes daily.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:54 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,653,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
And Christie's 30% approval rating in his own state. He won by a landslide now is disliked by many that voted for him.
Yeh I'm not saying Christie would even get the nomination, I'm just saying I think whichever Republican does will beat whomever( presumably Hillary). I couldn't care less really, as long as some extreme candidate doesn't manage to pull off an upset like Bernie Sanders, Rand Paul or Ted Cruz.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:57 AM

2,664 posts, read 2,080,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
He has no chance, and he knows it. Christie is doing it for the publicity. He thinks he's a celebrity, and that's all he wants, and money.
If he puts in a credible effort and wins a couple of primaries he will probably end up getting a cushy job as a "consultant" somewhere making a lot of money. That is probably why he started this. That is a much better alternative for him then to remain a governor of the state where he will have to make tough decisions and he is no longer popular.

Last edited by DefiantNJ; 06-30-2015 at 10:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey