Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2008, 03:41 PM

9 posts, read 35,975 times

Advertisements

Anyone know how good the schools are and youth programs ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 04:41 PM

127 posts, read 544,190 times
I know Mt. Olive pretty well because I live and work just a few miles away, in Chester; our office lists many houses located in Mt. Olive. Overall, it's a nice town, located very conveniently at the intersection of Rt. 80, 46, and 206. However, the schools and crime stats are better in Long Valley( Washington Township in Morris County). On the other hand, the real estate in Mt. Olive is more affordable than in Long Valley. I would say that Mt. Olive is the best choice for renting in the area, and Long Valley is better for buying.
About the youth programs: our friends live in Mt. Olive and are very happy with the school's swimming program; their children are busy with many other activities, such as music and painting as well as martial arts. However, I'm sure that most of them are private lessons, not public school programs.
Overall, like I said, it's a nice area.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:37 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelgaB View Post
I know Mt. Olive pretty well because I live and work just a few miles away, in Chester; our office lists many houses located in Mt. Olive. Overall, it's a nice town, located very conveniently at the intersection of Rt. 80, 46, and 206. However, the schools and crime stats are better in Long Valley( Washington Township in Morris County). On the other hand, the real estate in Mt. Olive is more affordable than in Long Valley. I would say that Mt. Olive is the best choice for renting in the area, and Long Valley is better for buying.
About the youth programs: our friends live in Mt. Olive and are very happy with the school's swimming program; their children are busy with many other activities, such as music and painting as well as martial arts. However, I'm sure that most of them are private lessons, not public school programs.
Overall, like I said, it's a nice area.

I somewhat disagree. While prices may be lower in MO, taxes are lower in LV and should be taken into account when purchasing. I find MO taxes abhorrently high for what you get in terms of schools. The elementary schools are fine, the high school is a complete other story.

Also, I disagree about renting in MO. The only place I'd consider is Oakwood Village - I wouldn't touch the apartments in Budd Lake with a 10 foot pole. The only place in LV with rentals is Peachtree Village, which is light years better than anything in MO. (obviously I'm talking about complexes, and not private residences)

Old 01-22-2008, 05:54 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,930,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I somewhat disagree. While prices may be lower in MO, taxes are lower in LV and should be taken into account when purchasing. I find MO taxes abhorrently high for what you get in terms of schools. The elementary schools are fine, the high school is a complete other story.

Also, I disagree about renting in MO. The only place I'd consider is Oakwood Village - I wouldn't touch the apartments in Budd Lake with a 10 foot pole. The only place in LV with rentals is Peachtree Village, which is light years better than anything in MO. (obviously I'm talking about complexes, and not private residences)

Agree 100%. Taxes are too high in MO when considering the schools are not that great. Some of the apartment complexes are downright scary in MO (ie..Kings Village). Village Green used to be nice years ago, but have read a lot of things in the police blotter of the last 5 years or so.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:56 PM

127 posts, read 544,190 times
When I was recommending MO as the best choice for renting in the area, Oakwood Village in Flanders (which is part of MO) was exactly what I meant. I know a few families that rent there. It's a perfect complex for corporate transferees (who I think are a significant segment of the population there), very safe and very nice, considering the price. I hope the new management won’t make things worse there.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 6,851 times
We have lived in Budd Lake for about 13 years now and we rent a house right on the lake. The rent is great (we got really lucky) and our kids have been active in the programs the town offers such as swimming lessons as the public beach. My husband is a teacher in Morristown so our kids attend school in Morristown as well but my nieces have both attended school here in Budd Lake and my SIL has been pretty happy with the schools. They have a daughter that is severely disabled and she attends the public schools here as well and my SIL thinks that the education she is getting here vs where she was going down in Morris Plains is much better. She is 16 now though developmentally at about a 6 month old infant level and she can't do anything for herself so she has an aide that goes to school with her which is also provided by the school system. If you are uncomfortable with the apartments maybe check out leasing a house. Ours is literally across the street from the lake and we have a private beach that belongs to our street. The neighborhood kids swim there all summer and have a blast.

Anywhere in Morris County is going to be expensive. Some areas are more so then others but all in all the cost of living in Morris County is high. Hope you enjoy it here and have gotten settled in if you have already moved. If you have any questions just let me know.
Allison
[EMAIL="ABUSHRN@optonline.net"]ABUSHRN@optonline.net[/EMAIL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey