Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 11:08 AM

27 posts, read 34,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I'm not pretending I know anything about you...your off topic....

listing dangerous jobs in the U.S. have nothing to do with the topic....I worked construction, heavy and highway, and know how dangerous the job can be....however, I wouldn't do a cop's job for all the money in the world....basically b/c the people they deal with are nuts who would stab them, rob them, beat them up if they could and kill them in a heartbeat.

and yes, we're all free to disagree, however, I've been on CD way to long, and understand how uninformed some people are, and this rule that NJ is making is being made by uniformed uncaring people who don't give a darn about their police officers...now there are some officers who don't care where they live, but there are others who do....

slowly but surely they are taking the rights away from everyone....when in fact, it should be the officers decision where he/she wants to live, and no one else has the right to dictate that.
What are you talking about?

I never listed dangerous jobs or talked about anything other than having police live in a community that they're serving can foster a sense of vested interest in the community at large. I'm sure there is some sweet spot between 1 year and 5 years if it's been decided that 1 year is inadequate. And obviously there are exceptions to everyone rule and making laws won't fit every persons life goals but I don't see the issue with having police officers live in the communities they serve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 11:23 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
For years to be a police officer in the City Of New Orleans you had to live in the city.
At the paltry salary they make, none could afford to live in a decent area, so for years the candidate pool was small and concessions made that were not wise too increase the pool.
That is no longer a requirement

Same thing with NYPD, it's only the first year, then you can live in Nassau County, Suffolk County,Westchester County not sure if they expanded it to Orange and Rockland counties too.

Are you kidding when NJ made the rule that NJ teachers had to reside within the state, anywhere, but within NJ they were having a fit because so many of them decided to live up in the Pocono's or Lehigh Valley
AMEN and it's all about greed...and not about the man/woman and their families....

Old 07-01-2015, 11:31 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
My Georgia County Police Dept, Allow them to live anywhere.

But as Live nearby sweetener, If you live in the county or any of the abutting counties, you can take your police car home.

Few years ago the policy was only K9 officers, School Resource Officers, SWAT, etc could.

But Some of them lived so far away the Reason to take car home was so if reinforcements were needed you could respond from home. But If you were 2 hours away it was pointless, and costing the county Ten's of thousands dollars a year.

Now it just K9, and officers who live "NearBy" who can take cars home. And as part of the take car home deal they have to be "On-Call for free" two or three shifts per week for emergency call in's. They get Overtime when/if they are called in. but Not paid for Stand-by on-call, but need to be available for call in. When called in they more or less back fill for officers who were called to whatever big thing that happened, So Mutual Aid officers can be released.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
My Georgia County Police Dept, Allow them to live anywhere.

But as Live nearby sweetener, If you live in the county or any of the abutting counties, you can take your police car home.

Few years ago the policy was only K9 officers, School Resource Officers, SWAT, etc could.

But Some of them lived so far away the Reason to take car home was so if reinforcements were needed you could respond from home. But If you were 2 hours away it was pointless, and costing the county Ten's of thousands dollars a year.

Now it just K9, and officers who live "NearBy" who can take cars home. And as part of the take car home deal they have to be "On-Call for free" two or three shifts per week for emergency call in's. They get Overtime when/if they are called in. but Not paid for Stand-by on-call, but need to be available for call in. When called in they more or less back fill for officers who were called to whatever big thing that happened, So Mutual Aid officers can be released.
that makes sense and I understand that viewpoint....I do....

Old 07-01-2015, 01:04 PM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,400,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Yanno, I used to visit NJ every weekend....we'd go to the shore....and used to want to live there....

Every night I listen to NJ 101.5, and I swear the bogus laws that NJ passes really tells me, that those people know nothing.

Last night, the conversation was about Police Officers/Firemen....they want to pass a law in NJ, that you have to live in the the town you work at....well, that may be fine for Firemen, but as far as Police Officers are concerned, to pass a law like that is so destructible. With all the cop haters out there today, I know a lot of police officers do not want anyone knowing where they live. They arrest people and send them to prison, and when those people get out, and they do, they could come and hurt the policeman or his family members, or stalk them...I know police officers who purposely do not have their mail delivered to their homes b/c of it, or police officers who live in other towns, b/c of the danger.

New Jersey, you need to stop making all these laws....they are destroying your state....way to many people who don't know anything about anything sitting around making up these laws, and putting your own police & their families in jeprody....how dare you do that to them. I swear, people don't think....
I don't agree with making this a law, but you are overreacting. Do you really think that living a couple of towns away from where you work as an officer is going to make you difficult to find?

For many towns in NJ, there are no issues for officers living in the town they work. Many officers work and live in my town (the chief is 4 doors away), and there are many officers who live in my town and work in neighboring towns.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
I don't agree with making this a law, but you are overreacting. Do you really think that living a couple of towns away from where you work as an officer is going to make you difficult to find?

For many towns in NJ, there are no issues for officers living in the town they work. Many officers work and live in my town (the chief is 4 doors away), and there are many officers who live in my town and work in neighboring towns.
yes, you may be right, however, I know of several police that live several towns away and pick up their mail at the post office....they have an unlisted number and take all precaution....I don't blame them. Are they and myself being a little dramatic, maybe?

Maybe in some areas it works, but there is a chance, even if it's a 1% chance, and to me, I'd rather take precaution...not be afraid, but take precaution....

If I were a cop, there is no way I'd live in the same town....especially in a city like Atlanta, Camden, Chicago, and so on....the little towns, aren't nearly as dangerous...I just feel it should be the choice of the officer, and not some old fuddies that sit on boards. It goes against what America is supposed to be....and more and more rights are being taken away...

I guess it's a matter of opinion, but the more laws like this that are made, the more freedom is being taken away....and all they are doing, is opening a can of worms...

But yes, thank you, I see your side of the coin.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:20 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
i can see the downsides of the law, but i also like the idea of my police force being from my town.

Old 07-01-2015, 04:18 PM

23,551 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
The reason behind this is they can respond immediately to a call/ crime scene/ serious accident and possibly save a life or catch a perp, etc. This doesn't happen to much in Jersey but I see it a lot in other states. Where I worked they didn't have enough operational police cars most of the times to even staff the minimal amount of cars that were required by town ordinance.

I lived in the city where I worked until my kids were school aged. I don't agree with this new law of 5 years. I wasn't worried about myself living in the city, because I had/have a gun and I would of put a cap in someones ass if they came to my home but my kids and wife didn't have that luxury.

Most cops in NJ are paid well and have opportunity to make some extra cash with OT or off duty jobs.
The one advantage NJ has over other states is you can be anywhere in 15 minutes. It can take 15 minutes within the town to get there or 15min to get there from two towns away.

I could see this being an issue in Maine, VT or the hinterlands of PA but not in NJ.

Feel good legislation critical only in places like Newark. then again where the next criminal act will take place is very predictable. Just put a push pin in the map next to the big cluster of push pins. Riots not likely in Branchburg or Hillsborough. Local communities fire and police respond if the problem is big enough.

Probably some legislator doing a quid pro quo for some political machinery in some town who wants to have their kid get a job on the force.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:44 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Same town is kind of ridiculous considering how many small towns there are. Who cares if a Glen Ridge cop lives in Bloomfield? Or an East Orange cop in South Orange?

However, this wouldn't apply to Camden, so no worries there: Camden doesn't have a police department.

Old 07-02-2015, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
For years to be a police officer in the City Of New Orleans you had to live in the city.
At the paltry salary they make, none could afford to live in a decent area, so for years the candidate pool was small and concessions made that were not wise too increase the pool.
That is no longer a requirement

Same thing with NYPD, it's only the first year, then you can live in Nassau County, Suffolk County,Westchester County not sure if they expanded it to Orange and Rockland counties too.

Are you kidding when NJ made the rule that NJ teachers had to reside within the state, anywhere, but within NJ they were having a fit because so many of them decided to live up in the Pocono's or Lehigh Valley
Same thing with Philly police....and I think and correct me if I'm wrong, but believe it still stands that you have to live there.

yanno, we all have our own opinions...we all would like to live where we chose to....me, I couldn't be confined by laws like that, I understand why those in this thread have stated why, but once again...if you live in a small town, it may suffice....but if you work in a really large city with a lot of crime, then no, I believe it's wrong, and that is also why I believe this is an unfair law, b/c it depends on where you live and who you are...how you were raised and what you believe in.

I just feel, that there are way to many laws taking away the rights of the people. And one of you mentioned, that cops make $100,000.00 a year....I wish my son made close to that...wow, that is quite a nice salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey