Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 10:39 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I like New Jersey! If I could move there, I would.
Most people either like New Jersey or are jealous of New Jersey. It is the most densely packed state for a reason.

It has 132 miles of Ocean coastline, top notch public schools, diverse terrain, moderate climate, and is sandwiched between two top-5 markets, including the most powerful city on Earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 11:25 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Most people either like New Jersey or are jealous of New Jersey. It is the most densely packed state for a reason.

It has 132 miles of Ocean coastline, top notch public schools, diverse terrain, moderate climate, and is sandwiched between two top-5 markets, including the most powerful city on Earth.
You know, I've been saying this for a while. Of course, trying to say it to someone who claims to hate the state and makes stupid jokes usually ends in more ridicule, but it is what it is. I think it just proves the point.

There is A LOT to be jealous of, especially for people in other states who don't have access to the things we have access to, in such short distances and for such a small state. Of course we're not perfect, and there's a lot of things people could or might hate about it, too, but you're right when in everything you said in that second little paragraph.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:37 PM

57 posts, read 59,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
You know, I've been saying this for a while. Of course, trying to say it to someone who claims to hate the state and makes stupid jokes usually ends in more ridicule, but it is what it is. I think it just proves the point.

There is A LOT to be jealous of, especially for people in other states who don't have access to the things we have access to, in such short distances and for such a small state. Of course we're not perfect, and there's a lot of things people could or might hate about it, too, but you're right when in everything you said in that second little paragraph.

Serious question here, as i am born and raised here i do have jersey pride, but if everyone is jealous why are more and more people leaving? .

Old 07-13-2015, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan89 View Post
Serious question here, as i am born and raised here i do have jersey pride, but if everyone is jealous why are more and more people leaving? .
It is expensive. Not kidding here, literally every family I know who moved South (NC, SC, FL, TX) moved because it's cheaper down there and they could no longer afford NJ. And this is a good ten families in the last ten years or so.

NJ is still the most densely populated state in the country, while being, what, the 4th smallest? It's a desirable place to live, but its amenities bring a high cost. The Northeast in general is expensive, and is experiencing the slowest growth of all four Census regions - not a coincidence. Also not a coincidence the cheaper South and Midwest are experiencing high growth patterns - and the West? Well its nicest parts are expensive too but they also have all year round warm weather out there so that's a draw.

And not everyone is jealous, but I do think a good number of people who hate on us here in NJ are actually jealous.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:55 PM

57 posts, read 59,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
It is expensive. Not kidding here, literally every family I know who moved South (NC, SC, FL, TX) moved because it's cheaper down there and they could no longer afford NJ. And this is a good ten families in the last ten years or so.
Definitely have seen this as well. So i'm wondering this: is it better to live with amenities stressed out if you are the average worker and not rich, or it better to move down south where you can leave more freely and in a sense have a less stressful life but with less amenities or things to do?

Old 07-14-2015, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Definitely have seen this as well. So i'm wondering this: is it better to live with amenities stressed out if you are the average worker and not rich, or it better to move down south where you can leave more freely and in a sense have a less stressful life but with less amenities or things to do?
Well, NJ also has a high concentration of wealthy residents. By this I mean our median income is top 3 in the country out of the 50 states. It's also a highly educated state, with large percentages of people with Bachelor's degrees or higher. Of course there are very poor people, people who struggle, people who didn't graduate college or even high school, but when comparing by state to state, NJ comes out on top or near top in education, wealth, and quality of public schools, too.

As for your question, it's a personal preference. There are plenty of stories of people who moved South and were bored to tears and ached to come back, who hated the culture down there, and there are stories of people who adjusted and love it. But I mean if you move to NC there is nothing equivalent to NYC right next to you, or the close access to cities (like New York), beaches, woods, mountains, great food, malls and other shopping, etc, in such close proximity to you pretty much wherever you are in the state. NC has all that on some level (except for the city like NYC) but it's a bigger state and you can be hours from the beach or hours from the mountains or hours from a city like Raleigh or Charlotte. NJ isn't like this for the majority of the state, especially given where most of the population lives. We're close to it all. It's hard to beat that proximity thing IMO. But again it all comes down to preference. Some people don't care to be near all or any of those things so life down South would be just fine for them.

Old 07-14-2015, 01:22 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,518,718 times
I am seeing more and more empty houses in southern most NJ. Lots of sheriffs sales in the paper. NJ is just too expensive and the politicians are of the mind set they can just keep raising fees / taxes. Same mindset thru out the northeast. Reminds me of Greece. My friends keep moving out (just lost my golf buddy to FL). I read that while the old timers are moving out the mexicans are moving in. I don't speak spanish so I guess it is time for me to move as well. Looking hard in Delaware. Been here most of my life and love elements of the state but the do not like list keeps getting longer. Bloom is off the rose. Last one out please shut off the lights..

Old 07-14-2015, 07:02 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Not a shot but a question , how long is the Ferry ride ?(Middletown I think)
I think it's about 45 minutes to downtown Manhattan. You pay the bucks for that short commute, though! If I could afford it, I would use the ferry but alas, I'm a train commuter.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:09 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
I think that answer would vary for everyone depending upon their situation. For example, if someone is part of a couple, it could be an adventure together to pick up and move somewhere new. For someone like me who would have to go alone, it could still be an adventure, but it's far easier for couples to make friends and find social circles in new places than it is for older single people.

For another thing, if you have no ties or responsibilities to anyone else it would be easier. I have thought about the possibility of relocating, even temporarily (keep my place here in NJ and rent it out) but I have an 86-year-old mother in NJ. She's still relatively self-sufficient, but we don't know what will happen in the future, and although I have five living siblings, I am the one most likely to be able to help care for her when and if the time comes. It's easy to travel between states, but still--500 miles away vs. 60 miles away is a big difference when it comes to emergencies.

Old 07-15-2015, 04:41 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,995 times
Quote:
It's always better to live in the areas with the highest income. You have more competition and more economic mobility. You could end up randomly in passing with someone who can really give a boost to your network.

Outside of the northeast and west coast, sure it is more affordable... but the salaries are awful in comparison. There is simply no replacement for income. What does a person in rural America making $30,000 / year have in common with someone in Metro-NYC making $60,000? On paper, they "make the same." In practice, the person in Metro-NYC has contributed twice has much to both SS and their 401k. Their house is also probably worth twice as much. There is simply no replacement for income. That's why people retire and move North to South/Southwest instead of vice versa.

Call a spade a spade. People leave high cost of living areas because they can't hack it. Lower risk, lower stress, lower reward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey