Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 11:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,030 times

Advertisements

We moved out of Rahway because we couldn't afford a house there. Well, a few years later and we're both in better position to buy a house and we want to move back to Rahway.

I know the schools aren't good. We don't have any kids and don't plan on having any for a couple of years.

The house is 2 bedrooms and I figure by the time we have kids and they are old enough to go to school, we'd move.

Knowing this, would you move back to a town you loved, even if the schools were bad knowing you would have to move again when the kids came and went to school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 11:43 AM

18 posts, read 108,834 times
Me being ex-military no I would not move I would get the house in the town with the schools I like now and not have to base the decision on when to have a child on my next closing

Edison has good schools not to far from Rahway

Old 01-23-2008, 11:46 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklovefuzz29 View Post
We moved out of Rahway because we couldn't afford a house there. Well, a few years later and we're both in better position to buy a house and we want to move back to Rahway.

I know the schools aren't good. We don't have any kids and don't plan on having any for a couple of years.

The house is 2 bedrooms and I figure by the time we have kids and they are old enough to go to school, we'd move.

Knowing this, would you move back to a town you loved, even if the schools were bad knowing you would have to move again when the kids came and went to school?
Sure. There will be those who say "but a 2br house is horrible for resale! And bad schools will limit your buyer pool!", but just like that house works for you now, it'll work for someone in the same situation as you when you look to move. It may not sell as fast as a 3br, but it'll go.

My first house was a 1br house in South Edison that was built in 1940. Everyone told us we were crazy for buying it because it'd never re-sell. When we listed it a year later, we sold it within a week to another young couple with no kids. And that was back in the early 90's when houses weren't selling that well.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogman68 View Post
Me being ex-military no I would not move I would get the house in the town with the schools I like now and not have to base the decision on when to have a child on my next closing

Edison has good schools not to far from Rahway
If they can't afford a 3br house in Rahway, what makes you think they can afford one in Edison- especially in the areas with good schools?

Old 01-23-2008, 11:54 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklovefuzz29 View Post
<SNIP>

A very fair question, and one I'm sure many people have asked themselves.
When real estate prices are high, and rising, this is probably a good strategy. Buy someplace you can afford & know you like, and when you are in an even better position, move up.
Now, however, the market is not as high priced as it was, and probably not as high priced as it will be in a few years. This year might be a very good time to buy the house in the town where you want to raise your kids, if you have the wherewithal to do it without stretching yourself too much, financially. Odds are, (and please note that I do not promise, guarantee, or in any way ensure) that the price of the house will be higher in a few years when you are looking to move. Additionally, if you can buy now, the house in which you will spend those child rearing years, you'll save the expense of selling & buying another house in a few years. I know it's only a few thousand dollars, but when you add the change together, it starts looking like real money.
Of course, if you believe the market will be flat or decline in the intervening years, well then you can throw my thoughts out the window & work on a different plan.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:08 PM

18 posts, read 108,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
If they can't afford a 3br house in Rahway, what makes you think they can afford one in Edison- especially in the areas with good schools?
Sorry just offering my advice she asked a question. You can find houses that need repairs in the good area's and if your handy can save you a boat load of money. We bought our first house 2 Bedroom in Iselin (Ridgeley Ave) in 99 for 112k and sold in 05 for 290k just have to keep looking..

Old 01-23-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogman68 View Post
Sorry just offering my advice she asked a question. You can find houses that need repairs in the good area's and if your handy can save you a boat load of money. We bought our first house 2 Bedroom in Iselin (Ridgeley Ave) in 99 for 112k and sold in 05 for 290k just have to keep looking..
True- we did the same on Worth Street- bought in 99 for 105k, and sold last year for 320k. The difference is, those 100k homes don't exist anymore- even a fixer in a decent area is going to run you 250k (with few exceptions).

Old 01-23-2008, 12:50 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
even a fixer in a decent area is going to run you 250k (with few exceptions).
Was the last "(with few exceptions)" in my general direction?

I would look to Bill Keegan's advice. Rahway's school system is good enough for some people, or they wouldn't be there. If you can snag a 3BR, I'd go for that over the 2BR option.

That said, with the changes still ongoing in Rahway (downtown primarily) I would definitely consider a 2BR in Rahway if thats what you're looking for now.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Was the last "(with few exceptions)" in my general direction?
You found me out! I knew if I didn't put that qualifier in there, I'd never hear the end of it from you! lol

Old 01-23-2008, 03:27 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,928 times
I too say try your best to buy the place you want to spend the next 15-20 years. To me, a house is THE BIGGEST investment you can make in your life. Dont take it lightly. It is NOT cheap, and will be much more work than it seems if you have never owned or lived in a house before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey