Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 11:29 AM

1,450 posts, read 3,452,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravislyn View Post
I don't like Edison at all. It doesn't seem to have a city center and doesn't have the charm of some of the houses I've seen in Rahway. Metuchen is very cute, but too pricey. Garwood and Roselle Park don't have good transportation - a problem in much of NJ.

Police in the schools I guess is a thing, even in some of the "best" areas. I went to private school so I don't know, but my friends and family who went to public school have told me as much. I do wonder though that because the school system appears to be predominately AA and Hispanic that there is even more negativity toward it.
I am sorry to tell you but the presence of police in the school is the least of your problem with the schools in Rahway. Take a look at the NJ Dept of Ed School Report website to see how the towns schools are performing. New Jersey Department of Education | 2013-2014 Performance Reports The high school is performing near the very bottom of all the schools in the state - it only out performs 15% of all HS across the state. (Meaning 85% of schools in NJ perform better than Rahway's) Look at all the statistics on all of the schools in the district, and sadly they all stink. Please note that this report is all based on measurable performance data, and unlike other sites such as schooldigger, greatschools, who rate schools using biased criteria such as "ratings" posted by anonymous sources, often parents, teacher, administrators of the schools, etc. I understand your housing dollar goes farther than in other neighboring communities, but with schools that are this bad (and have been bad for a very long time and do not show signs of really improving) you must factor in the cost of sending your children to private school.

HTH
KoalaNJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 01:23 PM

264 posts, read 605,810 times
You can't put down roots and not drive in NJ!
Definitely correct that first and don't base such an important decision assuming train/bus availability alone. You may like Rahway now but will probably want to move later for schools, so keep resale prospects in mind.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:49 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,138,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravislyn View Post
I don't like Edison at all. It doesn't seem to have a city center
I agree, I never really liked Edison, or really anywhere in Middlesex County for that matter. Middlesex County is the epitome of suburban sprawl and strip malls. Most towns lack any type of character or center, with the exception of Metuchen, New Brunswick, and to some extent Highland Park.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:39 PM

472 posts, read 811,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I agree, I never really liked Edison, or really anywhere in Middlesex County for that matter. Middlesex County is the epitome of suburban sprawl and strip malls. Most towns lack any type of character or center, with the exception of Metuchen, New Brunswick, and to some extent Highland Park.
Agree 100%.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:18 AM

4 posts, read 30,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazin09 View Post
You can't put down roots and not drive in NJ!
Definitely correct that first and don't base such an important decision assuming train/bus availability alone. You may like Rahway now but will probably want to move later for schools, so keep resale prospects in mind.
We've managed in NJ for decades without driving. Living by good transportation has always been a priority. Transportation is very lacking in this state but some areas are better than others.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:23 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,669,041 times
you don't want to live in rahway

Old 07-28-2015, 10:46 AM

54 posts, read 137,549 times
I agree with CaptainNJ. Unless your budget is very low, you don't want to live in Rahway, especially with school-aged children.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:42 AM

5,770 posts, read 16,577,499 times
Rahway itself if fairly nice with many nice stately residential tree lined streets and homes. I think the school issue is probably the worst of it, otherwise it's nice and has direct trains to the big apple and otherwise convenient.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:15 PM

431 posts, read 942,343 times
If you have to kids stay away from rahway

Old 02-29-2016, 12:50 PM

6 posts, read 11,847 times
how is the area near Rahway station, off new brunswick ave?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey