U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-23-2008, 03:48 PM
 
Location: Burlington County NJ
1,969 posts, read 5,558,574 times
Reputation: 2667

Advertisements

I'm quite suprised that noone has posted anything about this yet. So what do you think about his plan?

Personally - I think this is going drive a lot more people right out of the state. Prices are going to go way way up on everything now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-23-2008, 04:05 PM
 
Location: Jersey Shore
828 posts, read 2,964,249 times
Reputation: 241
You've been asleep at the wheel...

State of State: Corzine pitches toll hikes
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2008, 04:12 PM
 
Location: Burlington County NJ
1,969 posts, read 5,558,574 times
Reputation: 2667
LOL - I guess I have been

I'm just suprised there isn't more going on in here about it. Its a big deal
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2008, 04:48 PM
 
Location: 32°19'03.7"N 106°43'55.9"W
8,294 posts, read 18,239,057 times
Reputation: 7781
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic529 View Post
LOL - I guess I have been

I'm just suprised there isn't more going on in here about it. Its a big deal
I think, if polled, many in the state would vote for the moniker: "New Jersey: who is going to screw me next?" In other words, I think people are at the point in the state now where they just shrug their shoulders, and realize that the higher prices is just a microcosm of a greater syndrome whereby people are having their liberty incrementally reduced. Those who have chosen to stay in the state have made the conscious decision to withstand it and have chalked it up to the 'cost of doing business'. You'll notice how not that many people are up in arms about the price of gasoline any longer. For about 2 years we just heard nothing but bitching and moaning and complaining. We've become anethesized on a national basis with regard to the price of fuel. Similarly, New Jerseyans have surrendered the white flag. I remember the outrage back in 1990 when Florio raised the sales tax a penny, and the tolls on the GSP were proposed to be raised to 50 cents from 25 cents. People screamed and yelled and raised holy hell. You don't see that similar sense of outrage any longer. I think another part of it is the incremental thinning of the middle class in the state over the same period of time. Back in 1990, when Florio proposed these increases, there was a substantial middle class, whose livelihoods were perceived as being compromised by rate hikes. Now, you have an increasingly upper class, who can afford the increase, and shrug at the thought of an increase, coupled with a burgeoning underclass of people so insulated by government subsidies that increases to these people are perceived as nothing but transfers of money from the working class to them. The victims in this equation, of course, are the middle class. And there have been several articles posted in this forum regarding demographic shifts that fortify my claims.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2008, 05:08 PM
 
64 posts, read 78,124 times
Reputation: 12
I do not take NJ Turnpike nor GSP any more; there are many alternatives out there for NJ residents. However, out of state traffice, about 50% of the toll roads may have to pay more which may prevent poor people come to NJ... Let the wealthy out of state drivers pay more tolls, that's what the governors' idea. Don't forget he came from Wall St, especially was CEO of Goldman Sachs which is the very few winners of the market.

Just think of you own a buffet restaurant (like NJ own toll roads), if you increase the toll, then your kids and staff would not be able to eat at your buffet restaurant, but other customers will, and you will make more. So, what do you, your kids and employees eat? They can eat left overs after, say, 3pm or 10pm, when restaurant closed, and that's all Chinese restaurants do, so they were able to make lots of money, yet provide free lunch and dinner to all employees.

So, ideally, NJ governor should provide a statistics showing "at what time", you got say 90% of NJ residents, and at what time, mostly out of state drivers. Providing that statiscs, say, 6-9am in the morning and 4-7pm in the afternoon Monday to Friday, 95% of the traffic are NJ resident commute traffic, you should may that time FREE, NO toll, or at least no increase.

Other time, say, weekends, mostly are wealthy tourists from out of state, then you double the toll. For other time say, midnight 10pm to 6am when mostly container trucks shipping milks, eggs, tomatos, orange juice ...etc from out of state to NJ, you should make them FREE, and that shall lower the cost of supermarket, the food cost of all 8 million NJ residents.

Before you see that happen, NJ Governor is far less than an A+ governor. How do you think? Do we have anyone here can pass that proposal to the governor?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2008, 05:18 PM
 
Location: 32°19'03.7"N 106°43'55.9"W
8,294 posts, read 18,239,057 times
Reputation: 7781
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylc99999 View Post
I do not take NJ Turnpike nor GSP any more; there are many alternatives out there for NJ residents. However, out of state traffice, about 50% of the toll roads may have to pay more which may prevent poor people come to NJ... Let the wealthy out of state drivers pay more tolls, that's what the governors' idea. Don't forget he came from Wall St, especially was CEO of Goldman Sachs which is the very few winners of the market.

Just think of you own a buffet restaurant (like NJ own toll roads), if you increase the toll, then your kids and staff would not be able to eat at your buffet restaurant, but other customers will, and you will make more. So, what do you, your kids and employees eat? They can eat left overs after, say, 3pm or 10pm, when restaurant closed, and that's all Chinese restaurants do, so they were able to make lots of money, yet provide free lunch and dinner to all employees.

So, ideally, NJ governor should provide a statistics showing "at what time", you got say 90% of NJ residents, and at what time, mostly out of state drivers. Providing that statiscs, say, 6-9am in the morning and 4-7pm in the afternoon Monday to Friday, 95% of the traffic are NJ resident commute traffic, you should may that time FREE, NO toll, or at least no increase.

Other time, say, weekends, mostly are wealthy tourists from out of state, then you double the toll. For other time say, midnight 10pm to 6am when mostly container trucks shipping milks, eggs, tomatos, orange juice ...etc from out of state to NJ, you should make them FREE, and that shall lower the cost of supermarket, the food cost of all 8 million NJ residents.

Before you see that happen, NJ Governor is far less than an A+ governor. How do you think? Do we have anyone here can pass that proposal to the governor?

I think all the tolls should be bulldozed, and all the roads made free. Such is currently the situation in 25 other states. 6 states that do have toll roads were made post Interstate Highway act and cumulatively add up to 53 miles between them. That leaves 20 states out of 50 that have a substantial amount of toll roads. New Jersey ranks 6th out of 50 states in toll mileage, but only 44th in total miles of roads. Translation: it seems yet again, New Jerseyans have been conditioned to believe it is their birthright to get screwed a little bit harder and faster by governmental agencies.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2008, 05:47 PM
 
64 posts, read 78,124 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I think all the tolls should be bulldozed, and all the roads made free. Such is currently the situation in 25 other states. 6 states that do have toll roads were made post Interstate Highway act and cumulatively add up to 53 miles between them. That leaves 20 states out of 50 that have a substantial amount of toll roads. New Jersey ranks 6th out of 50 states in toll mileage, but only 44th in total miles of roads. Translation: it seems yet again, New Jerseyans have been conditioned to believe it is their birthright to get screwed a little bit harder and faster by governmental agencies.
Yes, I believe all buffet restaurants should be free... We all have right to eat... but if that happen, the quality would become soup kitchen.

So, don't want to pay? like myself, has to go to soup kitchen ...

You know, I just went to Penara Bread at Piscataway next to Sports Authority, and it has a sign saying all the bread could not be sold will go to soup kitchen. So if you want to pay, you eat at Penara Bread, otherwise, you still eat the same good bread at soup kitchen FREE!

So, economically, you can make all township roads, or less traffic roads free, but NOT high traffic (need high maintenance) road free. Can you afford to invite homeless to eat Peking Duck every day?

So, you quote lots of statistics, which is great and facts. However, you did not include the "traffic and maintenace cost" issues, and "construction cost". Don't forget many states has very low land cost, therefore, construction cost and land acqusition cost is very low, so are traffic, so you can make them free.

So, ideally, we should make the NJ toll road "FREE at low usage time period" and "charge toll" to "high traffic time". A tier rate is going to work perfectly.

Don't try to even think of making high traffic roads such as NJT and GSP free, I tried it when governor was Christine Whiman. It won't work. we got lots of signature ...etc and try to take off all toll booths while at that time economics was great, but it ends up they made Easy Pass to collect money; they just try to solve one complain waiting in line to pay toll ... So, they improved by NO making you wait in line, but, still has to pay toll.

Somehow, everytime I saw people sitting at the toll booth collection toll, I thought about the homeless people with a cup standing at Wall St area collecting coins... Eventually, people just do not pass those streets with homeless collecting coins. Got it?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2008, 06:00 PM
 
Location: New Jersey/Florida
5,649 posts, read 11,245,133 times
Reputation: 3953
Yic, Looks like if this passes we eat in the soup kitchen
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2008, 06:25 PM
 
64 posts, read 78,124 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Yic, Looks like if this passes we eat in the soup kitchen
I went to Plainfield Salvation Army church basement where the soup kitchen was and people start waiting there at 11:45am while it was snowing hard whereas the door won't open till 12:30pm .

It was a long line, and eventually I did not get a chance to eat there, but took the last 6 in the line to wonderful China Buffet a few blocks away at South Plainfield on Park Ave. That was a wonderful buffet, and many told me that they love the buffet, and there is no need to go to soup kitchen.

At the beginning, some homeless got a plate with sky high foods, then I told them, it is unlimited round, so just take whatever they like and finished, they could not believe so much food for so little, and I told them every buffet in NJ is like that.

If the toll increase passed, you will just use the free roads (soup kitchen) instead, not the end of the world. However, the best thing to do is give some free toll hours, especially when there is little traffic on NJT and GSP.

This is like, I get $5 of the buffet with the owner AFTER 1:30PM when normal lunch finishes, and they are happy I bring many guests to them. After all, food cost little, but the rent of store cost a lot.

In NYC Chinatown where I invite homeless to eat buffet lunch, it is only $4 with over 100 dishes to pick, yet $3 after 5pm. Why is that, the owner told me that $1 is for store rent, $1 is for food, and $1 is for staff salary, and $1 is the profit, so if someone do not eat there after 5pm going home, he think need not to charge that $1 rent.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2008, 08:44 PM
 
Location: New Jersey/Florida
5,649 posts, read 11,245,133 times
Reputation: 3953
Now if and when this happens do you really think someone is going to pay 100 dollars to ride the length of the New Jersey Turnpike. Well the scenic view might be worth it. I fly to Florida round trip for less.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top