Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2015, 01:22 PM

3 posts, read 2,840 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
We are looking to buy a house in Union county, our realtor is a nice guy, we spent a couple of weeks and saw many houses, he knows that we have money from the sale of our house and need to buy new one as soon as possible. A few days ago we concentrated on one town which we really like, and realtor showed us one house which cost a little bit higher than we want, but still we can manage to buy it, and definitely this house has higher property tax, but looks really nice. Our realtor was kind of pushing us toward buying this house, yesterday he mentioned that he knows the owners of this house (they were trying to invest and flipped this house) and grabbed mail for them. Today when we said that we would like to put an offer for another house (cheaper one), he mentioned that he spoke to the seller's agent and they will not agree for our offer as looking for a better price. Therefore, it does not make sense to even try make an offer. We are now not sure if he wants us to buy the more expensive one? And if we can trust him in our search?
Thanks for any input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 02:21 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,863,697 times
Which part of Union County? It sounds like there is a conflict of interest and that the buyer's agent is not acting in the best interest of the buyer. Does he work for the same agency that is selling either house?

Old 07-11-2015, 05:31 PM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
Not sure I am following, but I thought that while a realtor can advise you his/her opinion, if you want to make an offer I believe they are obligated to present it. Am I wrong?
I think the realtor HAS to present your offer. I know sometimes they can advise that maybe your offer is too low, that the people will be offended or whatever. But, I think if you are firm and say you want to make an offer they have to follow through.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:29 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,018,863 times
Steering is a term usually used in diverse situations. In this case it seems the agent may be steering you, whether it is the listing agent that he may not admire, or had a difficult transaction with, or he'd prefer you purchase his buddy's house. Seek advise from a third party agent, and perhaps you may gain some insight.
Sometimes an agent can *read* the listing differently. ( the other home may be offering a higher commission, or a bonus)

The agent should advise you accordingly, and write the offer on the house that you choose, he should defend your position, and negotiate terms that best suit your needs.

Good Luck on your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey